xisto Community
yungblood

Does Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ? Pen Paper RPGs

Does anyone still play RPGs with pen & paper?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My friends and I use to play D&D and Marvel comic rpgs. We didn't really go by the rules because there were only like 3 or 4 of us that really played it, but we were pretty close. It's pretty funny to think about it now, but back then it wasn't half-bad. Now if we had a real dungeon master that knew the rules (we did have references but they were complicated o.O) then I'd still consider playing. Just not enough time in the day.

I've thought about playing RPG's by e-mail... but I don't think you could ever duplicate the same feeling as playing with friends around a table. To me it would seem like any other mmorpg... *sigh*.It's too bad that playing games in person, any kind of game, seems to be a dying art. It's hard to even find a person to play chess with me without going online. I know one guy that likes to play cards in person, and we usually get together once a week for a couple hours.-YB

I Do sometimes, but not alot, if ever. I'd really love to learn how to play DnD but i'm just too poor, i mean, i dont get an allowance and i'm too young to get a job. Oh well, maybe i can get a players manual on ebay or something cheap.

I've thought about playing RPG's by e-mail... but I don't think you could ever duplicate the same feeling as playing with friends around a table. To me it would seem like any other mmorpg... *sigh*.
It's too bad that playing games in person, any kind of game, seems to be a dying art. It's hard to even find a person to play chess with me without going online. I know one guy that likes to play cards in person, and we usually get together once a week for a couple hours.

-YB

I think though that you should try the PBEM or PBP (Play By EMail or Play By Post) methods of roleplaying. I have not tried the PBEM approach, but I sure have qutie a bit of experience both as player and as GM in Play By Post roleplaying games. They do not get you the experience of table top or pen and paper ones that you play with your friends but it does give a very rich experience.

The reason it does not come close to pen and paper games is because it is a bit slow. But that can be taken as a disadvantage or an advangatage. Disadvantage, because - as I said - the adventure moves slowly. Advantage? There are quite a few:
(1) Players may live anywhere in the real world - they need not be geographically in one place
(2) They can be in different time zones - the players need not convene at a point of time
(3) Develops a literary joural of adventure - if properly played, the write-ups come close to the level of quality of works written by fantasy/sci-fi/horror novel authors. They cannot replace them, but they come quite close.
(4) Scope for broader exposure - thus more people can co-exist in that realm, and a lot of realm-crafting or world-building can take place.

Now, coming back to the topic, I have played pen and paper RPG rarely. In parts of India where I stay, I could not find a bookstore that sold a DnD book. It is not even common here for people to come together and play pen and paper RPG. Thus, all I played were my own homebrewed system and campaign with some of my friends and cousins.

I think though that you should try the PBEM or PBP (Play By EMail or Play By Post) methods of roleplaying. I have not tried the PBEM approach, but I sure have qutie a bit of experience both as player and as GM in Play By Post roleplaying games. They do not get you the experience of table top or pen and paper ones that you play with your friends but it does give a very rich experience.
Now, coming back to the topic, I have played pen and paper RPG rarely. In parts of India where I stay, I could not find a bookstore that sold a DnD book. It is not even common here for people to come together and play pen and paper RPG. Thus, all I played were my own homebrewed system and campaign with some of my friends and cousins.

I agree with vyoma in this regard. I've not played in PBEM(Play By EMail) approach, but PBP(Play By Post) is really exciting. Though there is a delay involved in PBP method, it's rich and geaographical barriers will be eliminated. The other point about not enough roleplayers that Vyoma was making is so very true. It's funny, but true. In a country where literacy is <60% one might imagine the ability of a person to play RPG. The internet revelution started very late in India. (After 1995). So lack of information is one reason why we don't find enough roleplayers around. In fact I was introduced to RPGs by very own Vyoma :)

Moreover even with the community of people who are aware of games are freaks of Action games... Nobody likes spending hours together in character and story building. I've never played pen and paper RPG though I've played good amount of RPG using PBP approach.

Only the cool play RPG

Does Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

Of course there are people out there who play...I am one of them. Here is my list: D&D 2nd and 3rd edition, Star Wars (D20), Lord of the Rings, Spycraft, Starship Troopers, World of Darkness (including Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, and Promethean), and lastly, a Naruto Roleplaying game that I have developed for my group to play. So...Yeah...We're out there!

-reply by drowfan101

I guess if you're not that creative... as you get older... you find you can't compete with all the current game genre, story, expansion pack, modules out there. Besides you'd have to have some imagination... like a kid or be on some kind of high to compete with video/pc rpg(s).

The only non video game RPGs that I have played were Dragon Strike, and Mage.Dragon Strike was a board game that my brother and I use to play. It had the dice, and it had a few characters and props that you could set up around the board. And it usually went by the line of sight where you could see what was around you. It was pretty fun, actually.The other, Mage, was from a book... and it could be played basically anywhere. And I had friends come over and we would just chill for a few, then we would just start to play when we got more comfy and into character.I don't do anything but console RPGs... but I don't forget the others.

Play Pen & Paper RPGs Online Using Virtual Gaming Tables

Does Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

You can play your favorite pen and paper RPGs online by using a Virtual Gaming table like OpenRPG or MapTool. If you need to find other folks to play with...

Check out Thetangledweb.Net That site is totally free and is geared towards helping players and game masters find one another for real online campaigns. The Tangled Web also hosts a ton of maps and miniatures for use with OpenRPG and MapTool.

-reply by A. Ponder

...Pen & Paper RpgDoes Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

One time I created a paper RPG with my friends at my high school, it was awesome!  Like, with a map, teams, skills, attributes, point systems, dungeons, adventures and stuff... Wish I could play again but there's nobody who wanna play... So what I do is writing books based on fantasy pen & paper RPGs... Still fun, but not as much as a real game with friends..

-reply by Maxsims

hey,

I know I'm a bit late... Well... Okay, I'm a lot late, but my point is this... Yes people do still play pen and paper rpg's I have run many games in the past few years myself. I've run everything from Old School D&D, to Cyberpunk, to Call of Cthulu and WOD. I've even written my own system and run with it on several occasions. While it's a rare thing these days to find people who play, we're still out here. Recently I've been working on a plan for a business that caters to all facets of "Geek Culture" and table top rpg is one of those facets. I have been looking for a site that allows users to play a multitude of games in a chat style environment with profiles and character sheets... All that good stuff to no avail. I decided to set up a site that fixes this problem, it's just a matter of where to start now. I want to giver traditional gamers the full experience. Any suggestions would be lovely. Anyway, that's my piece, so if anyone wants to play or run a game online just send me an email or I'm me on yahoo

Thanks,

Tom

tacarnal@yahoo.Com

-reply by TomKat1682

I still playDoes Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

I play a mix of pDnd v.Adnd, 3.5, and 4.0. And I Dm for a group of 6! Love pDnd!

-reply by Master, Dungeon

Pen and Paper playersDoes Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

Hi guys,

I'm planning to organize an online group of RPG players. If anyone is interested, email me at peterchua96@yahoo.Com

In your email please put the subject title "RPG interested player" so I can distinguish you from my spam mails.

Peter

-reply by peterchua96

I Still PlayDoes Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ?

Replying to iGuestI still play those games. I love games like dnd, tunnels and trolls, hero quest, starwars rpg, zombie d6 lite and lots more! If you send me the rules at fcutting97@hotmail.Com, then we could play-by-email.

-reply by Gerto