xisto Community
Brian1405241474

Blind Teen Can Play Games And Wins

Yahoo News Article on Blind Teen who beats sighted opponents without any help.

This is incredible. To be blind and play music, I could understand. To play some of these complicated games against an opponent and win, without help, is fantastic. I have trouble winning with my two good eyes and my glasses.

This brief paragraph on the guy said he likes to psych out his opponents.

I can't imagine playing with my eyes closed, much less depending on the audio to know what moves to make or avoid.

I'm hoping this guy makes it to college and designs some games worthy of his talent. If he can play the games out there now, imagine what he can create for us to play in the future.

What a boy huh? That 10ton determination on his head kept him going all the way, even though he knew that he would never be able to see and play with his eyes, he still continued practicing without a bit of complaint. What a wonder... The article didn't say anything about his studies though... Well if he's making it to college then i guess he's doing OK but its gonna be pretty hard for his to study video-game-design. What with all the coding to be done and all. I know there are alot of text-to-speech programs but if he's gonna design a HUGE game....the coding will be a little out of hand if read letter-by-letter. :)

I dont understand. How can he even relate to what is going on in the game? This just doesnt make sense. It says he started with space invaders. How can he know what is happening on the screen?

The dad said the kid learned by playing over and over and listening to what he was told. I guess, like most visually impaired people, this guy was able to hear the tiny distinct sounds within a game that most of us wouldn't even notice.It was funny that his dad commented that they went through a lot of controllers in the early days.Many blind people have incredible memories, which I'm sure comes into play in remembering what to do to get past each screen. It sure amazes me.

I think it's great that this kid is tackling something that most people would think is impossible for him (i.e. actually beating opponents).But this reminds me of a story my father told me. Years ago, my father taught wood shop at a comm. college. He had a blind student who refused to believe that anything was out of his realm of possibilities.That's great - in itself, I mean.But this blind man thought that he could cut firewood with a chainsaw.While he didn't injure himself or anything like that ... he still freaked out everyone who saw him doing it, including my father. Who made the guy promise to not try that sort of thing again.

yup that kid from Lincoln-NE , i heard about him when i was in College there ..didnt belive it at that time untill it came in News.

i guess he mastered the strategies of the game properly..... of course he must have trained a lot! he would know when the opponent would attack and when defend, and what will he do when you attack or do something! he just countered that attack and pre visualise what would happen and just kicked it hard! sometimes when i play some game, i already know whats coming next, if the oppenent will try to attack, use magical powers or something and i either defend it or attack him before he does! like some soccer games, i know what angle i will kick the ball that the keeper wont be able to catch and i keep stuffing him like that! but still being blind and winning.. hats off!

What is this world coming too? But I guess you got to hand it to most of these kind of people I mean their determination is just amazing after many many tires but man his paretns are something too i"ve never seen parents so proud of their gaming son

I bet he can't win on Counter-Strike, impossible. How would he tell the difference between friend and foe? Nevertheless, I'll give the kid credit, winning any kind of game blind is a achievement.

I bet he can't win on Counter-Strike, impossible. How would he tell the difference between friend and foe? Nevertheless, I'll give the kid credit, winning any kind of game blind is a achievement.

1064333520[/snapback]

That problem occures in many more games, what about call of duty or many other shooters? I think that he got some sort of mod that tells him wether he is aiming at a friend or a foe by making some kind of sound, otherwise it would be impossible be even play a shooter wouldn't it? I mean, you can't just go and shoot away just as long until you hit something. He must got some kind of help, however I still think it's amazing that he can do it, I can't even play a simple puzzle game or whatever with my eyes closed.

-=jeroen=-