xisto Community
XMX LoverBoy XCX

P2p Programs Whos The Real Thief

Now hear is what I don’t get about these P2P Programs for example LimeWire,Kazaa,Morpheus etc. Now it was rumored that people that where downloading from these programs where to be fined depending on what they have been obtained. Now I too have such a program by the name of "LimeWire" which can be found under msn's "Most popular downloads" It rate's about sixth from the top in popularity. Now these P2P Programs allow people to upload or download multiple types of files. Now the question on everybody’s mined is who are the thieves when it comes to pirated music or videos? on LimeWire it gives you the option if you would like to be a server to download off of I would think that would be Bad you know just incase you accidentally posting something that may get you in deep $#!&. So if I’m not using such a program to upload anything are downloads considered legal. Now I myself feel what ever you download on the net should not be held agenst you, the downloader is not hurting anyone but merely contributing to the miss use of these programs where as the uploader is the one hurting either the artist or the music/movie industry. I guess when it comes down to it; it really depends on the person you talk to on this topic no right or wrong answer.

Nope, basically if you are downloading copyrighted software, you are breaking the law. I guess it depends on what country you are in also. Some have less strict rules.So unless you are downloading something that's publicly and legally available for the public to freely use, you will be doing something illegal by downloading it.Don't take my word for this, but from what I heard, if you limit your uploads they most likely won't go after you. I say go with the safer approach and buy the software/music/whatever if you like it. Like you said, it depends on who you talk to. I say it's illegal if you download copyright content.

I'm with you weaponX. Downloading of anything from the net that is copy righted is illegal. Thats the way it should be when you consider how much time and money people have put into creating these things. I mean the most illegally downloaded stuff is either computer programs or music. Both of which take a ton of time to make. I think that if you were the one who created that game or song that people were stealing you would be pretty angry and hope that they would stop. Anyway, I'll get off my soup box and stop preaching.

It also depends on your country's laws and legislation. For example in Canada,it is deemed illegal to upload copyrighted and protected materials, yet the whole download category is kind of in a grey area and not really enforced. But downloading something that isn't supposed to be free is stealing either way.

What about copyrighted programs that can't be obtained through other means? I remember the hassle I had when I contacted one gaming company to ask for one of there old games. They eventually got me a "replacement" cd for $5 bucks... but that was only after months of trying to find the right person in the company to talk to. --YB

I think the main contention of illegal downloads and sharing is the major loss monetarily to the record companies and in turn the artistes themselves. While I agree whole-heartedly that we must all do our bit to respect IP (Intellectual Property), the issue of exposure shouldn't be neglected. If the music wasn't spread around, fans might never hear of new and upcoming music which they might like. I remember in the days pre-dating MP3 players where we used to jog around with cassette WalkMans. Most of my tapes were compilations of music I'd recorded off the radio. I was quite happy with the quality, but gradually as the technology improved, I - like many others - embraced CDs and their huge improvement in sound. That of course was the time before we realized that a glorious connective revolution called the Internet was about to unfold in front of our eyes. For a time, original CDs produced by record labels were the staple and backbone of my collection.Apologies if I'm drifting but what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be afraid of technology. Au contraire - we must embrace it whole-heartedly. A lot of people still believe that online file sharing is sounding the death knell for record companies and physical media. It isn't. They will adapt and so will we.

Yes both downloading and uploading illegal software and music files is well, illegal. People have been fine a lot of money and that was what made me stop. That and the stupid popups and spyware I get all the time.

If you use bittorrent to download a totally free software (let's say a free Linux distro like Fedora) on a site saying I am the author and I allow you to freely downlad and use, you are right.If it's a copywrighted product, you cannot download and use it, whatever mean you use (including going to eastern europe and buy it for five dollars on the market).

Okay - confession time. When I was in my teens (I'm 23 now) I swiped TONS of music through KaZaa and WinMX. Now, do I have that music anymore? Nope. Because ... once I started college, my English professor really started encouraging me to keep writing. I'm really into fiction, incidentally, but I also do Web content etc.Which was the first time that I actually started seriously contemplating a career as a writer. Unless majoring in journalism counted, which I didn't think should have counted because it was mostly school newspaper work. But that's a different story.My point is just that I started thinking about trying to make a living creating something that nobody else can create quite like I can ... then I started thinking about how much it would suck if someone bought one copy of it then started passing it around to a bunch of other people on the Internet and not giving me any money for it. Would I be able to keep writing if that happened? Sure, but it wouldn't be a full-time profession like I want it to be.I know, I know - making music isn't the same as writing. I know that bands and musicians have endorsements, merchandise, concerts and other "sideline" things to make money, and that they don't often make a whole lot from the actual album sales. Writers basically profit from sales of the actual work. We don't get tee shirts often. But ripping someone off is ripping someone off; once I realized this, I started finding legal, fair ways to enjoy music. I'm still a big fan of things like free iTunes codes, but at least I know that *someone* is paying royalties per code that I get, whether I buy a Slurpee or whatever else.Just because a user refuses to upload songs doesn't mean that he isn't contributing to copyright theft. SOMEONE has to make the download available so that said user can get it on his hard drive in the first place. And the user isn't paying for it. Granted, many people will buy the CD or at least the single if they really like it ... but there are plenty of services that let us buy the song outright whenever we want it (iTunes, Napster are a couple of examples).I know that different countries treat the issue in their own ways, but I still think that we should all find some way to help support the things that we enjoy. Even if it's just something small like buying a ten-dollar tee shirt from a local band that we like hearing.

(Snip)...

Apologies if I'm drifting but what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be afraid of technology. Au contraire - we must embrace it whole-heartedly. A lot of people still believe that online file sharing is sounding the death knell for record companies and physical media. It isn't. They will adapt and so will we.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Record labels have really started to get into online purchases for songs. It's great because CD singles just haven't been very popular in the last few years or so (that section of the record store is getting smaller and smaller, it seems). If online downloads can replace said singles, then the industry won't have any problem capitalizing on this technology.

This programs is for inter change archives... but we have to be carefull, to not broke the law, do not download pirate software instead of, you can download free source software, is better, and always if you have the knowledge sufficinet to do it, you can give support to the program, to do it better. Lets be happy with the free software and say not to the prirative programs. Do not use the P2P programs to donwload cost programs, only for sharing free source archives. Happy Life

Information is the most common form of communication take names for example would it be fair to charge people money for a name like kevin joe smith bob no ti wouldnt music tacks play only a small portion in record buisness they sell merchandise autographed merchandise  information is something that shouldnt cost record companies should see p2p programs as pure advertisement that sales the merchandise think how much money alone the artist and record companies make off of the theaters t-shirts guitars and various other musical equipment signature postes and jewelry concerts and so much more music and movies are just a small fraction of what makes the money

-reply by Dean Lockdrum

p2p i think is not bad at all but i am saing this because nor i am a software developer nor a game developer nor a film producer i am a general net user and loves to enjoy life. As per p2p is considered it main use was to share files no matter what kind of but just sharing and nothing else but now we are using it to share almost everything including movies and musics and all. They are ofcourse illegal but you dont have any one to blame because according to a suvey it told that 99.9% netizens in the world had at least once done some illegal stuff on the net like downloading pirated movies or games be it small or large but they have done it. Now to whom you will blame and whos gonna blame whom. I know the film producers and many other industries are against it but a matter of fact their top notch programmers are also in this p2p world and downloading the things but in office a strict no. You just cant stop it now at least not in near a decade. THere is crack to everything crackers and hackers are always in a way lookingto crack the rules and spread the movies and musics all over the world and let everyone know this. The movies which are rated the best or according to a general public vote the best movie of the year and all, the major proportion of the voters have seen this movie in the pirated version or downloaded it from p2p. THen if they havent seen then how one can say which is the best and which is not. Its hard to tell that whose the thieves as one can say that he or she is just sharing the file and nothing else and government is not having any right to watch anyones private videos until its related to terrorism and i hope they are not being uploaded in limewire and all :). THe main motto of p2p was just sharing and the government of Canada has allowed its citizens to use p2p as its made legal there i dont know about another country but i have read it in the net so i remember it. The most p2p used program is utorrent ot bittorrent. You just cant stop em its almost unstoppable.