xisto Community
punkpig5

Computers: What Kind You Use

optykal, do you have too much money ??? Dual Core, (prolly soon) SLI 7800GTX, damn, makes me feel little when I take a look at my pc :D PC1 (daily use):Abit NF7-s V2.0AXP 2500+@3200+2x256Mb DDR400 (M-tec50B @ 2.0-2-3-11)Sapphire R9600PRO @474/324)WD 120Gb SATA350Wpsu, aerogateII, DVD-rw, DVD, fdd, Thermalright SLK947U, that's it i guess.Ozaki HM30 Q3 5.1 surround17" screen (something my dad go, it's a bit damaged from falling: chipped a peace out of the glass and the case is scratched serverly).15" Digital (=compaq=hp) screen (sometimes I run dual monitor)PC2 (currently running Linux):Shuttle AV18 v1.0PIII 733Matrox Millenium (G200 ?, not shure, but I use the Millenium driver)old (near dead btw) Seagate 3.4Gb hdd (it needed a little heatsink + fan on a 85°c chip to run stable).32x cd250w psuPC3 (just standing here under my desk).I have no idea, but I guess it's and AMD K6-250x cdfdderm, that all I know15" Tulip screen

I'm currently using the Pentium III-IG that I bought in 2001 and I've replaced my CD-Writer and hard-drive when I had problems with them. I also had to replace my monitor and mouse. My current sound and graphics cards may be obsolete but as long as I'm not having problems with them, I'll stick with them. This is mainly due to the fact that I can't afford a new PC at the moment and I've not bought a new software/game in a long time. The only new hardware I have installed is an IEEE 1394 Firewire card that came with the digital video camera that I bought a year ago. I also have a printer and scanner connected. There's also a DVD ROM drive but I don't use it much as I have a problem playing movie DVDs on it, regardless of Region code.

I have a PC, an Amiga 600 and a whole bunch of old stuff :DMy PCAMD 3000+ @2Ghz (2Ghz is enough for me)MSI K8N Neo4 PlatinumCorsair PC3200 1GB Gainward Geforce 6600GT (The clock is changed, but i dont remember how much)1xSamsung 120Gb (best harddrive ever)1x Seagate 200GbNec Dvd-burnerI uses a 360W Powersupply, i cant get that it can drive the system...

My family has two computers and a half and all three are Personal Computers. About 8~10 years ago, I remember when I went to my dad's office and observed the workers using the... computer. I dont know if you call it a Macintosh or not, but I don't know either.There was another computer in the office and that one used Windows 95. It was pretty cool - I used to play Red Alert on that one.Anyways, you boot up and there is no Windows. The background is black and the text is the white, geeky style you see in Command Prompt!! Wow, it was really cool to me back then. This Thai office worker would type in stuff but I had no idea what he accomplished.Seriously, I had NO FREAKING IDEA what you can DO on those computers. I swear... I can't even think up of a reason right now. Okay, maybe not NOTHING, but at least SOMETHING. Such as playing 2-Dimensional games. For example... the pizza-eating worm that grows longer... something similar to snake but you can move him in ANY direction. Heh, that was fun.Oh also... get ready for this.DOOMI didn't know how to play and I couldn't get past the second level. The controls were difficult to get used to because there was no mouse. I mean, yeah... there were no mice for those computers. Just a keyboard and you move around with the up and down arrow keys, aiming left and right with the left and right keys... and pressing Control or Shift... maybe Space for jump. I don't know - it's too old now.Anyway, ta ta for now. Enough of old stories - I hope I didn't bore anyone :D

I'm on a PC which uses both Linux (with various distros, mainly Xandros and ubuntu) and Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Athlon 64 3400+ with 1.5GB RAM.I wish I had a Mac, cause there great. But currently many hackers have managed to get OSX running natively on a x86.

I run on an I-mac G5 i was just wonderin what you guys are usin pc's or macs.Thanks if you reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By the way, was your question really concerning "home only" or "in your whole life" ?

I think answering the questions "what system are you using at work and home" would be a more exciting question.

I think today everybody has to have a personal something, mac or Inel.

And at your work, what do you use ?

Sun-Os ? HP-UX ?

I use AIX at work, and home I will not answer because people could be jalous, come home and steal my computers.

I run on an I-mac G5 i was just wonderin what you guys are usin pc's or macs.Thanks if you reply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I been with a IBM clone for the longest time. Try to start up a red hat server but got no where with the programing. Like the easy way to load programs on pc's It is a pain to load on a linx base computer. Dont care for mac computer ever sence my first taste with the old amiga computer put out by comador in the early to mid 80's. I been building computers for the last 20 years. I up grade one and save the parts build another and give the old one to the kids in the neighborhood that need a computer. But before they can take it home there parents must come over to pick it up.

1 dual 2.0 Ghz g5 PowerMac 4GB Ram1 DUal 1.25Ghz g4 PowerMac 2GB Ram OS 10.4 server (unlimited) Grid Controller20 1.25 Mac Minis 512MB ram each configured as Grid Agents2 AMD64 2800's 1GB Ram FreeBSD (testing Xgridagent from sf.net)

Have at least 4 working and one non working pc. Want to get a server but un sure of which to get. Think I need to stay away from linux for I dont know anoff to mount programs to run on them and not anoff programs I know how to use. I'm leaning towards a windows base server. Think microdot is coming out with a new windows server soon think its called longhorn. Also waiting for compation too our cable company to get into our area. For I can get a deacated ip address from them for 10 bucks more amonth. With the cable company I have now they want 150 amonth so its just out of my reach and my ip changes every 24 hrs so i cant run a server and host my own web pages very easy. For with out a fixed point to come too you will have to host on a server away from your busness or home. I know I may of got of topic but it is my dream to have my own server and host my own pages and my own doman name.

Both, actually. My main computer (Bubba, as I like to call him) is an Enpower Nitro I got a year ago at PC Club, with an AMD Athlon 64 1800, 80 gigabyte hard drive, a half a gig of RAM, and running Windows XP Home SP2.

I also have a three-year-old iMac G3, Maclena, running Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, but sadly, her display fried recently, and I have to take her in for repairs. ;)

I use a IBM because I got it for my birthday and it works great. It is really fast and has a lot of extra memory. I am on it a lot about 5 times a day. I download a lot of stuff and still have over 150 gig hard drive left. So get a IBM they are awsome. And please thank me for the idea! j/k but think about it.

I have a PC.  I never tried an mac, but I heard they run much faster.  I don't think you can play games on a mac.

1064329815[/snapback]

Oh my gosh....where the heck did you hear THAT?

There are a bunch of games available for Macs. Most FPSs or TPSs are ported from Windows versions, but some are made just for Macs, especially shareware games. You really need to get yourself into an Apple Store.

I got my computer from cyberpowerinc. P4 2.6 with windows xp sp2. I want to partition it soon and install some sort of linux so I can get fairly adapted to its environment. So far it's been a fairly good experience with this computer. Before this i had a computer from Micron that ran windows 98 sp1 w/ a 450mhz p2.