xisto Community
atm

Drivers Using Cellphone cellphones can maximise accidents

I saw something on Mythbuster TV show about how they compared drive and cell phone use to drinking and driving. Cell phone and driving was just as bad- if not worse. Driving and cell phones can kill a friendship!

I think that most calls people take on cell phones while driving can wait. that's why we have voice mail and caller ID. If it's *that* important, we should find a safe place to get off the road. Where I'm at, at least, there are parking lots ALL over the place, not to mention really wide shoulders on the highways. There's no reason why people in my city can't get off the road while they're on the phone.And I'm pretty sure that my state (Texas) legislature passed a bill that will make it illegal for us to chat on our phones unless we're using hands-free headsets. If I'm remembering correctly (the legislature meets once every two years here for two weeks or so and passes hundreds of bills, so it's very difficult to keep up with everything they're doing), it goes into effect in January 2006.Which is good, IMO. Hands-free sets aren't that expensive anymore. Some phones even have built-in speakerphones, so you don't have to buy any additional accessories. There's really no good reason NOT to concentrate on the road.

california is one of the worst places as far as cellphone related accidents and neither regular use or hands-free use is illegal... i dont condone either though... it's a total distraction and for those who say its the same as if there was someone else in the care, you're wrong... a passenger is another set of eyes that will warn you if you're about to hit something....

i think there is a device that can disconnect your phone when it is in range! some buildings that wants to restric mobile access has it. i think that should be installed on the highways at certain range hence disconnecting mobile users everytime. so, if they have to talk, they will have to stop in a lay by or somewhere! its has disadvantages too, but who cares!

There are devices that can "kill" mobile phones, but they are not very selective, they cut the phone off over a certain area, so you would not need to pull over in your car, because the call would not get through to you in the first place.Japan uses them in places like concert halls etc, which is a good idea, and one that should be in place everywhere.Personally I'd like a personal "phone killer" so that I could do things in peace, like shopping, eating in restuerants etc instead of having to put up with people using them all the time.

It`s illegal here in holland too.

Drivers caught doin it anyway get fined for 140 to 2000 euro`s or they can face a jail sentance of up to 2 months.\

Pesonally I think this is a good law to inforce and not only here in holland or in Hong Kong but everywhere, because many poeple die or gets injured due to this kind of behavior every single day I repeat MANY poeple EVERY day.

To poeple here who does this the only thing I wanna say is "Don`t wait untill you cause an accident of any kind to realize that what you`re doing is WRONG keep in mind that you are not the only one on or by the road" *imagin you talking on the phone to you girl/boyfriend and suddenly someone (a frikkin human being) fly thru your windshield and end up on your lap with a cracked skull just because that mushy conversation couldn`t wait* not a pretty thought huh?........Right!!

I get emotional when it comes to this subject as my Great-grandmother was killed in an accident of this kind.

Crossing the road a car stops to let her cross but a calling-driver behind the one that stopped to let her cross dodges the stopping car thinking he just prevented an accident and hits HER :PB)

So again THINK about the consequences BEFORE they actualy occur,seriously!!!!

El

1064314235[/snapback]

same here... they're driving with cellphone and very often they don't even' let me to traverce teh street.. don't know what they're thinking about, but it's really a big lack of respect for other people...

I think there called tesler coils :mellow:not jusy bobile phone killers, but just about everything that uses a radio wave..ive heard of home made coils setting off neighbours water sprinkler systems, lol.

i definately agree with this.. not only are people with cellphones while driving dangerous, they make other drivers dangerous by annoying the crap outta the other drivers.. then road rage comes into play and woah.. no good ever comes from that.i dont use a cellphone while driving.. i text a lot and if im in the car im at a stoplight or parked if i touch my phone.. if someone calls me i call them back when im parked cuz im not coordinated enough to mess with my phone and drive at the same time haha

I heard there's this thing being made by I think Microsoft where they have like basically a navigator type thing. It can be used as a cellphone, to locate people, play music, everything. It'll take the space of the usually components to the drivers right, and also has touchpad and voice recognition devices inputted in it. I have a feeling that wil make things worse, and not to mention we can't forget about the states that banned cellphone and driving already. They'll probably have to ban the car too!

Not everyone using a cell phone causes accidents and is irresponsible. Just like driving, it is a skill that needs to be developed. I do believe that us Americans need to use our hands-free ear pieces when we drive, so that both hands are kept on the wheel, but as of now, that is not a requirement by law. I'm not sure when that would happen. My Police friend said it's not illegal as of now.I, myself, don't use my ear piece every time I take a call, but I try to remember to use it more frequently.I'm not one of those people that needs to always answer my cell phone whenever it rings, so I use common sense while driving, especially, as to if I need to answer the call or not. But not all drivers are qualified to drive safely either. There are so many people out there that are unsafe drivers. It doesn't have anything to do with using a phone while driving, it's just that they are unsafe drivers.Do we need to have a test administered to people when they take their driver's license test to also see if they pass a cell phone user test as well?These are the questions that need to be addressed. Not just the usage of cell phones in the car, but actually unsafe drivers as well.Just a thought.:)

I don't think using one hands or two to drive makes a difference, also I don't think that when using the phone while driving will increase the danger of carcrashes.

1064315582[/snapback]

Wasn't it proven that with two hands, you have more control over the car than with just one? And talking on the phone distracts you. Your concentration is automatically split between both the road and whoever's talking to you, more times if there are other people in the car talking too.

For me personally: if a caller has something very important to say, he or she will leave me a voice message. I can check my voice mail from the parking lot, or after I pull off the road. If it's not important, then the caller won't leave a message, and I can just keep driving without worrying about what I'm missing.I realize that some people, such as business executives, must be in touch frequently. They have to take calls, and be on the road for meetings and such. I would prefer that they pull over, but using a hands-free headset is a close second. It's hard for me to talk on any sort of phone (cell or land line) and pay attention to what's happening around me at the same time. I inevitably pay more attention to one or the other, and have to catch up on what I missed. For that reason, I don't think that I'm a very good candidate for driving while talking on the phone. I'd either have to ask the caller to repeat himself every other sentence, or completely miss the fact that the light is red and blow right through it.Either way, it's easier to just not mess with the phone.

My Dad uses his cellphone all the time while he is driving, but he has got a awesome handsfree kit, Supertooth. He owns his own business changing and supplying mags, tyres, and car accessories. He is the only fleet serviceman, (it makes it abit hard on our family, we don't get to see him lots) but because he is the manager and the only fleet service man, he has to. Other wise he loses business, which loses money which sets him back abit, putting him right back where he started.I don't think it is a good idea, but sometimes it just has to be done, in this case for instance. I don't want my Dad to have to start all over again, he is comfortable as he is. (I don't think he is because he works to much.)Anyway, I don't have anything against people driving while on the phone, I just think that their could be a better way of having it done.'NB: It's amazing what a topic like this can make you post....

I think this is obvious. Operating a piece of heavy machinery DOES take concentration, especially if you are zooming down the street at 60mph in it. Anyone who does this really should expect the consiquences. I'm not wishing death upon people, I'm just saying that if they do die due to their own stupidity, then it's noone's fault but their own. Not only this, but it's dangerous for the rest of the drivers on the street too. Can't a silly little phone conversation wait just a few minutes? I mean jeez, if it's that urgent, then you need to get to wherever you're going to fast and need the concentration for that more than anything. It's not quite as stupid as a TV in a car, but it IS as stupid as russian roulette.