xisto Community
atm

Drivers Using Cellphone cellphones can maximise accidents

I don't think using one hands or two to drive makes a difference, also I don't think that when using the phone while driving will increase the danger of carcrashes. The problem is, I think that when you're done calling or have to dial a number you have look at the phone instead of the road, those 2 or 3 seconds are more riskier than splitting your concentration a bit.

I agree with the conclussions of the study. It is a difficult message to get across to the public. In many ways we have been programmed to respond immediatly to a ringing telephone. Not many people will reflect that they can pick up the message later. If I need to make a call while driving I have to pull up and stop somewhere. I am only a male, I can only do one thing at the time. To hold a steering wheel, change gears and dial up a telephone requires three hands. I only have two hands and a small brain! :)

I personally think it should remain legal. Do you think people will stop talking on the cell phone if it was illegal? You think people would really give up a call because you might get in an accident? Thats stupid.First thing, what if you're taking a long vaction, say miles away. You need to answer you cell phone sometime, don't you? You're not just going to pull over off the road. And what if the call is important? Say, from your boss or something? The think people should back off from this. It is not a big issue. We still have many big problems to take care of, WAY worse then this, so stop worry about something small like this.

I agrre with the findings, however it is a matter of awareness a lot of the time. We have been conditioned to answer the phone wehn it rings. It is like an automatic reaction even when we are driving. When making a call I can not physically dial up use the steering wheel and change gears! To try to do all 3 things is the dangerous bit. Perhaps that message can be put out more strongly :)

Although using a cell phone while driving is a distraction,I don't think it should be illegal. The driver just needs to exercise more caution and use discretion when choosing to answer a call. Not all calls are important, but some are urgent. One of the reasons why we have cell phones is so that we can be reached in such emergencies. Using a hands free headset is a nice option so you don't have to reach for the phone, but your attention is still on the call and not the road so will it really decrease the number of accidents? In my opinion, people just need to be more careful on the road regardless if they have a phone or not.

I think the problem is that people seem to think that they have to be reachable at any time. In the past, when there were no cell phones, people couldn't reach you unless you were at home. Tough for them. Nowadays cell phones ring everywhere. I put mine out when I go to sleep. And when I'm having diner. I put it on on the moment that I want people to be able to reach me. And I presume driving is not such a moment, for me.

Thats true... I know not a lot of people are very multi-tasking... Hence where they pay too much attention to the cell phone they wouldn't focus on driving... I know that because I'm one of those people... When I talk on the phone it is crazy to have me driving... I believe there is a law in california that prevent anybody from using their cell phone while driving... now it is not fully enforced, but once more accidents happen, im sure theyll start enforcing...Chin chin..

I think that's a good law. In Holland you may use your hands-free set, but most people use the more hands-on approach. I think making the use of a cellphone in a car illegal (when you're the driver) should be the law over here. But I guess first some people have to die, unfortunately, before some minister in the post-Balkenende government changes this law.

This is the article that started this thread.

If you want to read on laws pertaining to cell phones, click here. Actually, if you read on that site for any period of time, you might just never want to use your cellphone again.

Cellphones do have a purpose. It keeps a person connected and can be used to get help in an emergency. The key is to be a responsible user. You control the cell, don't let it control you.

Ever see a double eighteen-wheeler whipping on down the interstate going better than 70 miles per hour while holding a cell phone? Watch that guy exit and enter a two lane highway still with that phone pressed against his ear. That is not a comforting site.

Granted, there are those people who are considerate and I wish there were more of them. Ever watch a person in the car next to you while they are chatting away? Some look at the phone. Hello! It isn't a video-phone yet, so why are you staring at it?

In grocery stores, you see people running about in the aisles talking to someone. Some conduct business and others are talking to roommates or friends. When they are talking, seems to me they can't even push a shopping cart in a straight line. Can't imagine them on the road, behind the wheel of a car zooming around.

I heard about cell phone jamming from a news article. Many people upset at having a meal disturbed in a restaurant would aim a jamming device at the offender. Imagine talking and losing your call? Jamming isn't the answer. It could prevent a call to 911 when someone has an emergency medical or law enforcement is needed.

When someone is in a store or restaurant using a cellphone, at least they are not on the road zipping about where an accident could occur.

Watch the news for more polls, research and laws. It is going to happen.

Talking to someone on the phone simply means paying less attention what you were doing before, whatever that is. So wether you are operating a machine, driving a car or riding on a bike, the focus is not on what you are doing or trying to do.If I receive a phone-call when driving I always look for a parking spot and call back when I have found one. It is only in a traffic jam that I sometimes phone someone that I will be late (even though that is also not a safe option).

yeah, but i think it would be better if they did more education on the drivers about the risks they would take if they do so~since a lot seem to be into breaking rules like that~being able to let them know what thinsg might happen, it would lessen the chances of the doing it~or at least make the do it ina safer way~

it's illegal where I'm at to drive while talking on a cell phone! You can get a ticket just for holding a phone while driving!I don't think it's that complicating to drive and talk at the same time, the hard part is dailing while driving. I think if this is illegal that eating while driving should be as well! I almost got in a few rowdy accidents becuase I was busy stuffin my face with some food!! :D

In Britain it's illegal to use a handheld phone in a car, and people actually follow the law. I was on holiday recently in MA, and we nearly crashed due to the fact a driver near us didn't see us due to the fact she was on a mobile. It is better for everything to ban it on that level, but don't ban hands-free.

Well, for example in my country, there is a new think about it. With a fine of 48,000 pesos, the same one that is applied to the conductors who violate the Tip and Plate (norm to control the transit in my country), will be sanctioned who are surprised speaking by cellular while they lead. To the users who speak by their apparatus while they supply fuel the vehicle, also it will be punished with the same sanction of five minimum wages legal newspapers to them. The authority in charge to impose and to receive the fine will be defined by mayor Antanas Mockus, who will sanction in next the 10 days the Agreement that dictates norms for the due use of the cellular one in the vehicles, the streets and the gas stations of the District. The Agreement del Council looks for to prevent the accidents that daily register by the inadequate use del cellular telephone while it is conducted. According to the experts, the momentary radiations of the cellular ones, can disturb the mechanisms of defense and reaction of the conductor before the eventuality of an accident. The statistics of last the three years of the Secretariat of Transit and Transportes (STT), indicate that by distraction 1,435 accidents in 1998, 2,725 in 1999 and 841 were registered until May of the 2000. Although it has not been possible to establish the number of accidents happened directly to be speaking by cellular, this is the distraction cause more hard in the last years, according to studies made by international experts. In Colombia, where there is near three million users of cellular, the prohibition to speak while it is conducted, also will be applied in Medellin, another city of my country, where it was approved makes few days an Agreement similar. In Cali other city, the Municipal Council studies an initiative in the same sense that will be been next. Between the countries that have limited the use of cellular in the cars is Australia, Brazil, Chile, Denmark, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, Japan, Portugal, the Philippines, Singapur, South Africa and Switzerland. Cellular and the steering wheel is a dangerous mixture. A study of the Center of Cognitivas Images of the Brain of the University Carnegie Mellon de Pittsburg, in the United States, presented in last August, revealed that the brain cannot at the same time take care of two tasks that demand attention to him. Instead of multiplying his capacity, it diminishes it. The study was not specifically centered in the combination to lead and to speak by cellular. Nevertheless, considering the results of the investigation and before the evidence of which the brain has limits, the scientists alerted on the dangers to lead with a stuck telephone in the ear. In fact, in 38 states of E.U. already directed projects have appeared to regulate the use of these apparatuses. All have not been approved. One in Mississippi, that in the end did not happen, made clear that the use of cellular was an aggravating one for the pain in case of an automobile accident. Tprohibition to speak and to lead will be made effective in the state of New York. The norm establishes exceptions in emergencies and allows the use of free hands. The fine will be of the equivalent one to 230 thousand pesos. Like in my country other citys and Countrys in the world are adopting this think, don't speak bye cellphone please, take care in the road, no more deads

Yes, you could not reach your phone if it wasn't for "cellular technology" but I think it creates a serious hazard on the road when everyone is talking on their cell phone. There could be any number of different hazards. Such as, they are paying more attantion to the person they are talking to than their driving, they can't get the phone to work correctly, etc. There are too many differnt "hazards" to list. I' am not saying, cell phones are a bad thing, just people need to be more careful when driving and talking on a cell phone. :D