xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

How To Increase Windows Shutdown Speed when you enabled “clear Page File at shu

Actually the biggest reason why you would want to clear the pagefile at shutdown is to increase security.For instance, some applications may be leaving important information such as id's and passwords in the pagefile in clear text (i.e., not encrypted), when the PC shuts down.Therefore it is very useful and important to clear the pagefile especially on mobile PCs (as a precaution against theft) and/or shared PCs.Whether it will let you shut down faster by clearing the pagefile is dependant on many things like your configuration (both hardware and OS.)Eg. Your RAM size, pagefile settings in the OS, how many applications are still running at shutdown... etc. In general, it is believed that by "not" clearing the pagefile at shutdown it'll be quicker, so i'd say those who are experiencing a shortening of wait time --- you are lucky.

My computer usually takes about 5 min to shutdown if I just click on shutdown and leave the computer. zzz... There will be alot of popupsshowing programs that 'freezed up' and asking if I want to End Now, or return to windows and check on it zzz...

How to increase Windows shutdown speed when you enabled “clear Page File at shutdown”? :)

Note that making incorrectly changes to the registry may damage your system; please back up any valued data on your computer.

1) Go to Start menu > Run > and type regedit and click OK.

2) Find following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \Session Manager \ Memory Management

3) In right side right click on “ClearPageFileAtShutdown”, select Modify and make value of “1”, and Exit from Registry Editor and restart your Computer.

Soleimanian :huh:

1064309628[/snapback]

that way works well. and a way to even increase it more. is to have less startup programs. becasue then when you shut down, less programs need to be closed down. there are lots of free programs that allow you to manage your startup programs. a populare and free one. microsofts antispyware has a feature that allows you to manage your startup programs

hope this helps

I use Windows XP corporate with SP2. I use all of the Norton products which includes Norton Internet security and Norton Systemworks Premier. It takes hell lot of time to shutdown my computer even I after I did the procedure listed . Is there any way to speed up my shutdiwn process ?

I use Windows XP corporate with SP2. I use all of the Norton products which includes Norton Internet security and Norton Systemworks Premier. It takes hell lot of time to shutdown my computer even I after I did the procedure listed . Is there any way to speed up my shutdiwn process ?

Not using the performance draining horror that is SP2, or resource hogging programs such as Norton :(

Perhaps use a shortcut? I used to do this and I thought there was a special extra command to boost shutdown, but I can't exactly remember. A link

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,455,00.asp

My pc shutsdown at the speed of lightning , but its startup is as slow as a tourtoise ! It takes 20 mins to start up , i can get my cup of coffee , read a book , go and have a shower , and it will finaly be ready ! lol :(

I don't see the big need to decrease shutdown times, even startup times. When i need my computer i turn it on and do something else while it's booting up. Then it's pretty much running all day. When i turn it off i leave it to turn itself off and that's it.I have a fair amount of programs running too but it doesn't bother me.-HellFire

I think the most important part is not shutdown, it is booting up the machine.

Yup, I would agree with xboxrulz. I'm not exactly certain why your shutdown time is slow but here is a suggestion. You can try manually shutting down applications/processes before you clicked shutdown. If you leave it to the OS, sometimes it is a little bit slower.

hey! if somebody want to download bootvis.exe here is it!!!! ----> BootVis.msi

I'd suggest not to download this tool. M$ stopped support this litlle tool for a reason. I've tried it twice, first time it gave no problem, second time (on a fresh install) it totaly messed up the installation.

And like xboxrulez says, shotdown is so important, just press the button and leave the room, there's no need for waiting. Booting time is more annoying, you'll have to wait before you can do something.