xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

Audioscrobbler: Software Tells You What Music you love, but havnt heard yet.

http://www.last.fm/

Audioscrobbler is a free online database that watches what music you listen to, and how frequently you listen.

after it has enough data about you, it can compare you to other listeners with similar tastes, and surgest albums and tracks you may like, which you dont already own.

I first descovered it when i accidenlt built its functionality into amarok.

AudioScrobbler will work with the following media players using pluggins.

Winamp
Windows Media Player 9/10
iTunes (Windows)
iTunes (Mac)
foobar2000
XMMS/Beep Media Player
AmaroK
QCD
Rhythmbox
J. River Media Center
SlimScrobbler
Xbox Media Center
Noatun
AmiScrobbler (MorphOS)

If you listen to alot of music while you work, sign up, its free.
the more people using it, the better the results will be.

Hi I'm Lee, I own a small 'Game developers' called Vusay. Sorry, but I'm sure you can tell this is my first post so I apolozigse if I'm doin something wrong. Anway, I agree with 'banjosforpeace', I searched for Girlschool and couldn't believe they were there. So yehr thanks for that. That's really useful I'll try it out later.

I'm not sure if I will use it. It kinda sounds like "Big Brother" is watching what I listen to. I just might be a little paranoid or whatever [but that is a another topic]... Anyways from the sounds of it watches what music you listen to, and how frequently you listen, it compares you to other listeners with similar tastes, and suggest albums and tracks you may like, which you don’t already own. My question is how accrete is this? I mean how can a computer make that kind of judgement on what music you may or may not like? Even though it is comparing your listening habits with other with similar taste does not mean that they can give you accurate info. What I am trying to say is, for example, you have person A and person B and they share some similar music habits. However person A does not like rap music but person B does. My question is what is going to stop the plugin from suggesting to person A the rap songs that person B listens to even though they share similar music habits and person A hates rap?

Generally, my musical tastes are pretty ecclectic, so a database like this might have trouble showing me things that I would actually like. I tried looking up some bands, like for example I looked up the hardcore punk band Void and it said most Void fans liked Carlos Santana... Plus, a lot of the band names seemed obscure, in the wrong way. I think I'll stick with the user groups in SS. It's interesting the way people can showcase their own bands in those programs, and either be praised or shot down.

I think it is pretty great for me because I can search for people who like Old Crow Medicine Show, or The Mammals, or Uncle Earl... really obscure string band stuff and find others who like it. The automatic recommendations are cool, but nothing beats being able to identify other music geeks like me. :D

Trekkie, what did you tell it you liten to ?and what did it surgest ?since i subscribed ive only played 30 songs, you got all 100 already? you music freak !try listening to some of the obscure bads it surgests. just because bands arnt on MTV doesnt mean there not good.

Only think I dont like about audio scrobbler is how long it takes to update. I mean your personal stats take 5 mins most, But the artist stats take days.Someone need to make an audioscrobbler for video. I think that would be insane.

It's not called Audioscrobbler anymore. I mean - it uses the same plugin and all behind the screens, but the site and service has been renamed to Last.Fm and can be accessed at http://www.last.fm/

Infact if you try to reach the audioscrobbler site you'll be redirected to this one instead. All your old logins still work and any posts you might have made in their groups/bulletin boards are still there.

The interface has undergone a massive upliftment. Top Charts/Artists etc. - those lists look a hell lot better. The new color scheme stands out really well.