xisto Community
Benz1435

Turning An Image Into A Cartoon Style - Photoshop Tutorial on cartooning images.

This tut will show you how to make a photo look cartoonish in three easy steps...

1)Open your image in photoshop, doesnt really mater what size or shape anything really a landscape, city, or a person. I am using a picture of a football player in this example

Posted Image

2)Go up to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set the radius at 3.0 or higher depending on the effect your looking for.

Posted Image

3)Last go Edit>Fade Gaussian Blur. A window will pop up... set the mode to darken for tha cartoonish effect or to any other mode for plenty of other effects. Lower the opacity if you don'tl like what it did to your image. You should end up with this if you set the mode to darken.

Posted Image

This wasnt a very good picture to use for this so I did a different picture to show you what this can do.

Posted Image

Hope you learned somthing in this short tutorial.

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

Yeah, the football picture didn't look very cartoon-ish at the end, but the "gangsta" one is really nice.Combing the picture with a very good printer, and you can have your friends thinking you're a B.A. artist!

Good short tutorial. Will surely use it sometime soon when creating images for my site.And Senor, how are you getting along with GIMP?

THX A BUNCH!!! Its just I have this project to hand in by tomarow and it has to be a cartoon strip(????) and hence this is a very good way to make it into a cartoon, I can now use a real image and make into a cartoon image e.g Keanu Reeves Animated :angry:

That's a great tutorial. I nvr knew that was possible. Now i'm gonna go post a pic of myself on friendster in that way! Dam, it looks so professional. Looks like an artist did a portrait of me...(Not posting the pic here for privacy purposes. Sorry gals.. Not ur lucky day.)

Now that I think about it, Tom goes to the Mayor; that series on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network seemed to be a little Photoshopping people into a cartoon-ish style for an animation style.