xisto Community
rhodesian.dragon

Best Way To Promote A Website?

Free service can increase your traffic a bit. But free webhosting and free email will cost a lot. How about the short url or called url redirection or url forwarding. Of course, you should have a short and good domain name. ADs of your site can be applied to the free service, then the free service can also help your tranffic.

Another way to promote your website is to have something on AIM or Yahoo! Messenger and when your away someone messages you have it say something like this: Hey sry I cant be here right now but in the meantime checkout my website! Here it is: http://ww38.yoursite.com/ I didthat with my other free website and my friends told there friends and there friends told there friends so i had like 50 to 200 visiters a day! Buut the website i got the free one off of said there was too much traffic :sad:

I think this involves a multi-pronged approach. As the above posts mentioned, good content is a must. Even if you can't produce much good content, you can always leverage on good content produced by others. Be sure to ask for permission.Cross-linking is important. Google for related website and ask for reciprocal link.Pay if you must. I recommend Google Adwords. Cheap and effective.

Do not worry so much about content and design or how attractive the site looks. I have seen sites that are the world's ugliest get lots of traffic. There is pretty much one way to get traffic to your site. Buy Google ad words. The greatest meta tags, content, layout, graphics, etc will not do anything anymore. If you cannot afford a lot of adword expense then find adwords that are going cheap but have relevance to your site. It can be done!I have been doing web development for 8 years and the marketing landscape has narrowed every year until now it mostly belongs to Google. You can advertise in local weekly shopper type newspapers across the country fairly reasonably as far as cost, and effectively drive people to your site with the ads. But that takes a lot of effort with ad writing and contacting the papers to place the ads. Google is the easiest and most effective way to drive people to your site.If you still do not believe me, do some research. Go to Google and Yahoo and Excite and other search engines and look at the top sites for various search values and compare their meta tags and content and look and feel and tell me that the best written and best designed sites win the battle. It does not happen! Try it!And then ............Buy Google Ad Words

hi :Di'm very interrested by this subject .because i have a site i try a method that provide me a great traffic so great that eat all my free attributed bandwith ( 3000 M/month my site is now stopped i was with 100freespace) .my method is that :at first you have to sign up at several free traffic exchange ( they give you between100 to 20 000 free hits just for signing up plus referral bonus can be up 1000 other free hits.after signing up you have to promote you referral url , and surf about 1/2 hour for each one .to make surfing at differents companies i suggest that you use crazy browser that enable you to open up 8 url at the same timei have about 180 url i will give it to you next post thank you for reading i'm ok for any questions :D

having created several websites, one of the best ideas is to find a community of like minded people with a popular forum, make good posts, and add a link in your sig as par their rules.If you have an online business, Google Adwords advertising is where I've found us getting the most new paying clients per $ spent. Our second best method is we advertise in a couple related industry magazines. That is expensive, but our premium services are the main focus there and people are willing to spend the money.If it is cool enough, there is always Slashdot...

Advertising is just a method of attracting people. The real question is can the content of your website temp people to visit it? If your website is simple all about yourself then it will not generate any traffic at all.
People surf the web for information. Not just simple information about the author but of course information that they need for themselves.

If your site is all about script tutorials then you will have a great number of visitors. Creating more traffic and if you have a paid ad on it, then your site will be able to generate a dolloar or two for you. :P

Yeah. This is perfect answer (for my :P ).

Yes signatures are a good way to get people notice your site....do name your signature logically.

Another thing is comment on blogs that talk about the topic you have at hand.For example say you have a site/page that talks about root kit scanners.Then search for that in a good web log (blog) search engine and make some great comments and leave a link to your site.You must do this with care.Because if your comment in that specific topic is not a good one, there is a very few chance that people will actually click on the link and come to your site.

It is a little difficult but commenting high traffic sites is a great idea and post a link and explain what the link you are offering do have (What information more on the topic you are talking and how it will help them).Searching in blogs can be done through many site like, Google Blog search Technorati Yahoo! Blog search Icerocket etc.etc..

here are some links to some blog search engines

https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=fjQEVdbLCKyH8QfopICYDw&gws_rd=ssl

http://technorati.com/

http://www.icerocket.com/

http://search.yahoo.com/

http://www.bing.com/

I like searching for sites in Google web search(OR Gigablast) itself just add the service provider name OR the name of the blogging software that you are targeting .For example if you are looking to comment on a blogger.com blog (Or a blogspot.com) blog try the site: keyword and narrow down your query to that specific domain.If you want sites/blogs that are not using the free blogs try to add

"powered by"+"CMS NAME"

Substitue CMS NAME with wordpress drupal etc

Forums are also good but they need you to register activate the account etc so it is a little hassle another thing you can do is to use services like Yahoo! Answers search for your topic (OR the question that your topic can answer) then give some great feedback and give some links to your content.Most of the time people will click on it.

Making a network of friends who blog regularly is also a good idea you can exchange the topis you covered on your website/blog on each others web log.Please take time to develop good connections it will help you a lot.And remember to stay on the same topic.

Use Trackbacks if you are using a CMS software to publish your content.Sometimes people will click on the links to see a different view/perspective on the topic they are viewing currently.You should take care to give a good introduction because tackbacks shows a small snipet of your post so people will guess what you have written there.

--

Edited by knight17 (see edit history)

I find that word of mouth is one of the best ways to promote a website. Tell a couple of friends to tell their friends and so forth.

I <3 this topic. It's quite a wealth of information.

Can anyone provide a bunch of good links to start? Preferably free links to generate traffic?

First of all you'll need content and lots of it so SE can spider through all those words. My site had a moderate amount of content in a page and typed in a statement from it and Google found it.Content before Advertising.