xisto Community
kurt18th

Audio Editing Programs Which are the best?

i really like adobe audition. recently i have been using it to remix audio of concerts i video tape to 5.1 surround sound. there is a learning curve with the advance features but well worth getting to know once you know them.

I've used Audacity, Cakewalk Home Studio, Adobe Audition, Cool Edit Pro, and Sonar. Since audio editing isn't my thing, i didn't really have a favorite program, but since i do video editing with Adobe Premiere, i've defaulted to just mixing my audio trakcs there as well. it's pretty detailed and easy to use, but you can only export to wav. Though there are a host of wav2mp3 convertors available, so that's only a minor shortcoming

I use Adobe Audition or cool edit pro.  Both have a very similar interface.  With Audition you can save your files as basically any format.

1064306904[/snapback]

Well, adobe audition is nice program, it has many functions, and really it's a legacy of COOL EDIT PRO. :mellow: I use it for many years now for postproduction of my songs... you can hear my work at my webpage :blink:

I use Audacity for editing sounds themselves, but for more simple editing like cropping and such, I just use Quicktime because it puts less stress on the computer. I also use Quicktime to record vocals. I don't know if you are trying to, but I use easy beat to do all my MIDI work. The free version is okay unless you want to edit things over two weeks old, or over like 12 measures or somewhere around there, but as most of mine are one-off, four to eight measure hiphop beat loops (which I export and throw into audacity). I really can't wait to pick up Logic Pro, Garageband, and Reason...Warning: Most of what I've mentioned are Macintosh programs.

I use Audacity for editing sounds themselves, but for more simple editing like cropping and such, I just use Quicktime because it puts less stress on the computer. I also use Quicktime to record vocals. I don't know if you are trying to, but I use easy beat to do all my MIDI work. The free version is okay unless you want to edit things over two weeks old, or over like 12 measures or somewhere around there, but as most of mine are one-off, four to eight measure hiphop beat loops (which I export and throw into audacity). I really can't wait to pick up Logic Pro, Garageband, and Reason...

Warning: Most of what I've mentioned are Macintosh programs.

1064325999[/snapback]

indeed. Logic Audio is now for MAC's only... since their 6th or 7th version I think.

Hi, I am new to audio recording. I play guitar and sing, and I am trying to record my voice and guitar simultaneously onto the same track on my computer, nothing fancy. What kind of software and hardware can I use to do that inexpensively? If I can do it without any really expensive hardware that would be awesome.

Music editorsAudio Editing Programs

hey he is Correct because I have been working on pro tools for a very long time and they are still making better softwares I would go for them but it is costy AU $200. This includes a M2 box Micro (I think or its a mini) but it dosn't do recording only editing. But it comes with the latest protools. There is one that has 2 inputs and you can buy it for $400. The next up is the M2 Box and the M2 Box Pro wich has recording features for about $600-$1000. Then u have the Racks which range between $1800-$3000 depending on the plug ins and inserts.(there is 8 but has a digital input which will expand it to 16 ports. Last of all youhave the mix desk which has every thing but that is $10 000.

But the bad thing is that protools only works with the hardware.

Some other softwares that I use but I don't really use for music often but it is still great if I'm out of my studio. Sony products are the only thing I would go close to because the other programs are just basic versions.

There is sony sound fourge 10

and Sony vegas pro 9.0 and 9.0c.

-reply by Sean

I cannot get Audacity to read the raw ProTools WAV filesAudio Editing Programs

Does anyone know how to read the track WAV files from ProTools in Audacity?  I just get an error saying it does not recognize the format.  Is there any device independent editors out there the will read the raw files?

Steve

-reply by Steve Augustine

I use Audacity if I need to record music fast and quickly. For real recordings, I will use Adobe Audition to record instruments since Audacity only exports at a 128 kbps maximum. I use Sony ACID with my VSTi plugins because I just find it easier to use. After I finish tinkering around in Sony ACID, I import the file into Adobe Audition and mix/master all of my music.I heard that Cubase or Apple Logic (mac) are really good for editing audio as well.

I didn't need to do anything serious with recording, but the things I've played with, I used Audacity, which is open source and was quite satisfied with it..Also VLC can do some thing with recording, it's quite simple :)

These are some programs I know about with their prices beside them.Sony Acid Pro 7 = 246.98 on softwaremedia.comAdobe Audition 3 = 339.99 on newegg.comCakewalk Sonar producer edition = 359Protools 9 = 249 on amazonAnyway I am familiar with Sony acid pro and adobe audition the most. I record my songs via a usb mic with sony acid pro. I then edit these files (do noise reduction etc) with adobe audition. I use FL Studio to put all my track pieces together. Anyway audacity is a good free program you can use just to edit your music and do simple things. I dont know how serious you are about what you're trying to do with your music. If you have any questions for me just let me know. I have been recording music for a long time so I can be of help i'm sure. Good luck!

Replying to DJCinnamonSnowWow I does the samething,I record everything with sony acid and then edit with adobe audition & add things to it like maybe gun shots & things like that with FL Studios...But I was wondering do you just send only your vocals to adobe & edit or the whole track with music & all to adobe after recording in sony acid?

-reply by Youngin