xisto Community
Sadas

Living Without Computer Today - Is It Possible? How much time eats your computer? ;)

How much time per day do you spend by your computer?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I spend a fair bit of time on the computer and my parents think I'm playing games! But in the long run i life I don't think it's possible to surrive and be safe without computers because they store all the data of an individual, you can order stuff online and make businness deal over the net. Computers are really important in everyday life, as we evolve so does technology!

Well, I'm 55 years old, so obviously I used to live without one!!However, I would hate to go without one now, as I have become so relient on them, especially for things like communications and banking. They are not an "essential", but certainly important, much more so than tv or mobile phones.

I spend a good amount of my free time on the computer, some of it gaming, some working, and some just browsing. I only spend maybe an hour a day on it during the school week (so little time!), but I usually am on about 6-8 hours on the weekends. I could live without my computer, but it would be pretty boring!

Further to this OP is this piece I read today:

LONDON - UK 10-year-olds enjoy going online more than playing with their pets, shopping and texting friends according to a new study.

The nationwide survey by AOL of 500 10-year-olds also found that nearly a quarter of those with access to broadband went online every day.

They are more likely to go online at school (80%) than at home (70%), while 73% go online at their friends' houses and 16% use the web in their local library.

Like most of the rest of the population, children's favourite website was Google, which was chosen by 31% of the respondents. Nearly three quarters of 10-year-olds said "Googling" was their favourite activity, followed by using the web for school projects and playing games. Other web activities include emailing friends and using messenger services.

Other popular sites are BBC (26%) and the Disney Channel (12%.)

Rob Mansfield, spokesman for AOL kids and teens channels, said: "Born in 1995, these children have grown up surrounded by technology and gadgets.

"They clearly appreciate the benefits of the internet for finding information, staying in touch with friends and family, and having fun, but it's good to see that they want a balance in their lives -- choosing to play outside, take part in sport and visit friends, as well as going online."

God, when I was that age, all we did was climb trees!

-----Please use the quotes tag when posting quotes-----szupie

Edited by szupie (see edit history)

Man, don't even talk about computer time with me B) My parents always ask me not to be in front of my laptop too long. Just like one of the members here, I too have a desk in my bedroom (where the laptop LIVES LOL).I use to spend over 8 hours online believe it or not. I'm always online at work (nothing to do) and the first thing I do when I get back from work is go online for another 6 or more hours...I know, I'm a online maniac :PNow with the new job, I probably spend around 7 hours online. Usually posting in forums like here at Xisto...

So much of my time is devoted to the computer. If I could afford it, I would have a huge hard drive, buy tons of games, and a great graphics card. That would ensure that 8+ hours would be spent (if Ihad that much time). Now days I usually spend 6-8. I go to school, and use it in 2-3 of my classes, then when I get home, I code a little, and if I have time I pull out an old school game. Hopefully when quake 4 comes out, (after a few months) I'll be able to afford a new graphics card and broadband and quake 4. That'd be nice =). I'm still not bored of quake 3 when it comes to online play.

I spent time on my computer usually more than 8 hours, but say yesterday I only were online for about 2 hours maybe even less, it depends, but I remember erlier, I used to spend almost all my days online doing something, but now I try to spent less and do something else, like my homework. :)

Hello there. My family members keeps annoyingt me becouse of sitting by computer so much.

They don't care, what am I doing: programming, reading news, posting in forums or reading emails - they allways think that I'm just having fun, and it's no use from computer LoL :)

So I decided to ask, how much time a day do all of YOU spend sitting by computer? Just trying to find out: 6-8 hours per day is normal, or I can call myself computer maniac already... :)

1064303666[/snapback]

I spent most of last year living in an 18 foot medieval pavillion in the middle of nowhere. We hauled water, cooked over a fire, made calzones in a stone oven from fresh goat's milk ricotta cheese (the goat had been milked the night before) and ... well, I won't even get into the bathroom facilities.

Point is, living like that gives you a real quick idea of what you can or cannot live without. Funny thing is, we did have a laptop and occasional Internet access. Every once in a while we would scrape up enough power from a small battery bank to watch MPEGs of stupid british comedies (Black Adder, in particular).

Now I'm living on a small farm not quite in the middle of nowhere. It has neat features like water that comes out of a tap and electricity which does not need to be budgetted out to the last Watt. We raise animals for food, spin wool, weave clothing and so forth. I make regular use of a wood maul and a froe for light carpentry, fencing repair and so forth. We make our own soap and I braid rope from inner bark and milkweed stalks. And, yes, I still have a computer and Internet access.

I think that if more people lived closer by who were doing the same things, I could forgo the computer easily, but we live in a very disconnected world and the Internet is often the only way we have to connect to others. When I want to buy a sheep, I look online. If I need to know something about an herb I have located and I am not finding anything on my bookshelf, I go to the Internet. If I want to get together with other area folks to work on spinning or weaving, I send an email. The computer is an odd connection between traditional homesteading and the 'modern' world. I would trade it for an active farming community, but such are very hard to find and disappearing fast. Just a couple weeks ago we had a bunch of Ahmish folks staring at us because they had never seen someone spin wool before or dip taper candles. :)

Hi The freaky bit is that i never had a computer for the first half of my life but after I started working I bought one of my own but I guess everyone goes through the interrogation by parents, My parents thought that I used to go to the cybercafe to talk to strange men and meet them and they were worried but I assured them that in return for a less phone bill I talk to my friends online.After I got my computer I hardly left my room so my dad kept yelling at me for being in my room all the time and all that but now that my mom is hooked onto chatting onlne with her friends and family, my dad has no choice but to shut upCheers ;)

It would be impossible for me to sit on my computer less then 6-8 hrs ,i love computer to the ectent that i dont like to get up from it as i also havwe started earning my first penny from the internet ,so i love internet and everything is so large on internet5 ,information is so easily accesible and simply ready for use ,this boom in information has left many lucrative opportunities lying just there for someone to catch and earn from it.

I dont know one person without a computer... and when my comp crashed last year... well, lets just say it wasnt pleasant.
...i almost DIED!

lol. Yup. Definately cant live without.

Are you kidding? You almost died lol? I could live without a computer for a very long time. In fact whenever I get a chance to get away. I take it. Computers arn't that addicting. I find playing football (United States type), working out and hanging out with friends way funner then playing pointless games, making c++ or php programs that few people will ever use or making friends that you will never meet. No offence to anyone, but it isn't as great as everyone makes it seem. Step back every once and a while and think "What could I do that is funner then this?" 4-6 hours is quite a bit for one day in my opinion. 1 or 2 is ok if you spend it programming and not playing online games.

@sparkx, I think it depends. It's good to practice everything in moderation, whether you spend eight hours on the computer or eight hours doing something else, that's still a long time. I once spent four hours a day playing badminton. Was that worth my time? Hardly. Did that waste my homework time? Definitely. Nearly everything can be a waste of time depending on how you look at it. Like I, for one, would find football to be pointless.If you're going to ask someone what they can do that's "funner", that differs from person to person. Better to do what you like, regardless of what other people says. (Unless, of course, you happen to be harming your own health, in which case, it might be better to back down)I spend at maximum six hours on the computer, though some of the time is taken up by schoolwork. I could go without the computer for quite a while, assuming that there's something else to occupy me (say a pile of books, a rubix cube, or just plain something)EDIT: Oh, and I don't think SilverFox meant it literally that he would "die". It's probably just a figure of speech that he really likes to spend time on the computer. XD

Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

I live by my computer. Even I use my laptop to take notes at school. I have integrated computers into my life. If you take away my laptop, it's like taking away all the pencil and paper for a student.xboxrulz

If i have a day where im doing nothing, i will wake up at 7:00 AM and stay on it till 1:00 AM lol. I don't usually do that as i haven't nearly enough things to do on a computer, unless im working on something for a game, a website, or just chatting with some friends. Right now i have been on about 45 minutes lol. I have a job, but as i only work sat. and sun. about 5-7 hours on either of those days, i have plenty of time on my hands, and i live only by a handful of people, most of which i do not like or they are far to young. The rest are family, almost everyone i live to actually is family, it sucks !