xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ndhill

Giant Squid Tons of pics...

Man there is so much undiscovered in the bottoms of the oceans. It would be really nice in the future if we were able to go do the bottom of the deepest trench (forget the name) and see what kind of 'monsters' reside there. I'm sure theres alot more underneath there than just giant squids :(

Do you mean the Mariana Trench? I don't think anyone doubts that's there will be quite a few surprises for us there! Initially, it was believed that life could only survive in a narrow window of temperature. Yet in the deep, we've discovered bacterial and even animal life living in the near freezing and in the near boiling close to volcanic vents. If you're interested in this stuff, I suggest you take a look at a great special that aired on the Discovery Channel called 'Blue Planet.' It has seriously some of the best underwater photography I've ever seen. the second chapter, called 'the Deep", features some very strange stuff. Not only outlandish animals but footage of underwater volcanos and, as strange as this sounds, a "lake" within the ocean that has it's very own ecosystem existing at the shoreline. You will not be let down.

Man that is Hudge! Is that the largest one they caught? I have herd storys of giant squids that are big enough to take down whales. I dont know if thats true, i dought it but that one doesnt look like it would be big enough to take a whale. What do squids that big eat? Now thats a movie for you a person gets eaten by a giant squid.I just though of this, Are Giant squids their own speices? Because most arnt that big. It would be like a poodle becoming the size of a house.

They are their own species. There are actually about twenty species of squid that reach sizes of over six feet in length. If you want to see something close to the giant squid, they have a close relative that we know a lot more about. It's called the humboldt or jumbo squid. You can view a few videos of them here. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you want to see something truly frightening, look at these.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/science/2003-04-03-squid_x.htm

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2910849.stm

This is a much larger species of squid that exceeds the giant squid in size. It's not as long however. It's tenticles are much shorter and more muscular. They're also covered with hooks that allow it to more effectively hunt it's prey, the patagonian toothfish which reaches six feet in length... Just imagine. Those photos taken for these articles are of a young specimen that's not even two thirds of it's potential size!

ViRual: Haha. I never said they weren't disgusting as hell. Just look at the things! A huge, twisted mound of rotting fless with great big suckers and and huge eyeballs. I won't even try to discribe the smell. Let's just say that rotten fish and amonia do not mix well.

I live in Washington State, USA... and they claim we have some of the largest Octopus in the world up here. The largest I've had the opportunity to see personally was just about the size of the Squid you showed in the 1st few pictures... or about 20' head to tip of legs.It is an amazing thing what Mother Nature has given our world, and the diversity! If only we were smart enough to understand even a tenth of it! *Smile*

I never seen a giant squid myself, but from some of my friends these squids are humogous. Its crazy how they grow from a 2 inch baby squid into a squid that measures over 60 feet. These squids are really fasinating. These squids are always an interesting animal to see, especially big ones. Squids seem like a ugly animal but they are a beautiful animal to see out in the ocean. The biggest squid ever caught is 65 feet in length. That seems pretty big huh?, but i think under the deep ocean the squids are much bigger than what we think they are.

Tell me about it! You mentioned giant octopi... Check this behomoth out. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ This thing washed up on a beach and the diameter of it (arm tip to arm tip) measured about 200 feet! The body, I believe, was destroyed but the original cell samples are still preserved. Just look at the size of those suckers on it's arms.

Personally, the thought of giant squids scares the hell out of me. I don't know maybe it is from those horrible fascinations with going out into the ocean and something grabbing me from under the water.I would probably fear for my life if i had to go deep sea diving and see one of those things. Could you imagine getting up to one of those things and it just being really mad and taking it's giant tenticle and smacking you with it. I can guarantee you it would not feel good.

wow.. this squid is giangantic.. never believe this kind of large creeatures actually exist. eye opener..but again all kinds of creatures may exist underwater....jus that we do not find out.. interesting nevertheless.....