xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

ADSL Is On Leaps And Bounds The upcoming new ADSL

ADSL2 is soon to hit the stores, and with 16Mb of data transfer, it is going to be the fastest (known) internet connection yet. So, what do you think will be the next thing after ADSL2? ADSL3 or some revolutionary new technology that is totally WI-FI. Let us know what you think.

I think we'll be gouged $150 a month for the next five years if we want ASDL2. In the future, we'll probably see some sort of cable-based variant to ADSL2 that is similarly over-priced.Sorry about the cynicism. I can't stand how much it costs for broadband. :P

Well I have cable, which at the current moment is the fastest connection possible in Belgium. I don't pay that much, but yep, it's more than ADSL. In all honesty, I'd pay more for more speed if I could get it LOL. Well, not to $100 bucks a month, even though right now I pay almost $50 a month. Which is ok for me LOL.I am the type of person who likes it faster better and uhm yeah. :P The sad thing is, that Belgian providers limit the upload speed (I currently pay for an upgrade, standard it's 128 kbps and I have 196kbps) and the amount you can upload and download a month, which is purely a rip off. You have to pay for a little bit of extra speed, that little bit extra volume a month. See standard I have 10GB traffic a month (of which only 15% is for upload, thus go over 1.5 GB upload and they kick you on smallband) so I pay more for 18GB per month, I don't even use half of my download volume, but it's the upload that kills me. Like I said, all this to get more money... :P:P

Actually adsl2 is not the fastest in the land. Verizon has started installing fios which starts at 2mb/5mb goes at 2mb/15mb and for the bandwidth hungry 5mb/30mb. My Uncle has the 15mb service and gets speed test results of 1.5/14.Some of the early tests for adsl2 have not been too promising. The speed decreases dramatically once you get a few thousand feet away from the co or rt.I have also heard that cable has the ability to go at speeds to rival verizon fios. I think it is optimum online that does 1/10 service. (although that does not quite compete with the fios yet).Just some thoughts to keep this very interesting conversation going. (I always like talking about bandwidth).BTW, I have sbc as my isp. We have a 512k/3mb connection with absolutely no bandwidth caps. Nice for running my game server off of.Fourthbean