xisto Community
nakulgupta

Science Is A Good Servant But A Bad Master An essay i wrote.

when scientists start talking about things they don't know or can't even check, it's some kind of a religion for me

That should never occur.
A scientist always has to talk about things he is able to demonstrate.
Demonstrating, proving, is the basis of modern science.
Of course, maybe you or I cannot easily understand what the scientist is talking about.
But he has to talk about something that someone else is able to understand. Most of the times, the same scientist is forced to teach what he knows, in order to propagate the scientific knowledge.
Moreover, the scientist has to give real facts.
"If you push that button, a light will appear". This has to be true, and anybody should be able to push such a button and see the light appearing.
Maybe the explanation why this light appears could be too complicated, not understandable by some people, but the fact remains, the light appears.
And probably, when I will be wise enough, I will be able to demonstrate that the prior explanation was false, my explanation will be closer to the realty, but the fact remains, when I push that button the light appears. That is the fact that can be verified, and scientist have to explain it.

What I would say about the topic is that science has always been around us, but we have discovered its various aspects covering a large span of time. However, it is us who are responsible for the advantageous or disastrous outcomes of science,like we have had instances of nuclear explosions and millions have died as a consequence, but science has not acted as a master here, rather human beings have made it happen that way, the point I wish to make is that we have been trying to mould science according to our convenience, we try to estimate the outcome ,yet at times it exceeds the calculated magnitude and then we feel that it has overpowered us.I don't think science can ever be our master nor should be called a slave, because our existence is somehow intermingled with science, we need it to explain our existence, don't we? Science should be treated wisely as a ground where we can place all our doubts and base our research on.

+1

science has always been around us,

Moreover, I would say that science has always been inside us. We see how the world behaves around us, and we create a model in order to understand how it behaves and how we can act over it.If the method is didactical, if we can share this model with our pairs, if we can reproduce the events and can remain predictive, this can be named science.
If we act in a secret way without being able to explain why it behaves that way, it should be named magics.
If we really master it, it's a power.
And, unfortunately, as each time human beings and power are concerned, we can face power abuse.
The guy who abuses his power is a bad guy.
The power is not bad.
And the power is not his master.
Each bad guy is his own master, if he decides to be bad, he is the only responsible, science or magic or religion can be told being responsible of his acts.
If I do something stupid in the name of science, science is not responsible for what I did, I am the only responsible. <_<

But most of science, if you think of it or not, is moved/sponsored by military and most of the best scientists and a lot of inventions were made because of military projects and military sponsoring different things.Internet was for military and when you think about it, a lot of things were accomplished because of military.For military in one or another way is worth sponsoring 80% science projects just to get 20% of their needs.For example, CERN is as I know worth 10 billion, if not more, my news could be old, but the thing is that most of us think that the main objective of it is to find higgs boson, but there are a lot of scientist were who don't even care about higgs boson, they for example work on such huge input data storage, it's controlling and it's analysis, they don't care about higgs boson. This project also did a lot on data accuracy and precision, so for example, it's worth investing so much money to find this thing what all are talking about, but just for to get something out of it, it's all science, but what I want to say, is that a lot of science in all the times were due to military activities.I wonder, if science could move forward so spontaneously if were weren't military and war for example? The greet to use something and get power and etc. In my opinion, things would be moving not so fast, but it's just a guess.To conclude, what yordan said, that the guy who abuses his power is a bad guy, military is using their power and want to use science to get power over others and etc.

The fact is observed abusing the powers derived through science can be viewed from another perspective also. Imagine a nation's army which purely focuses on the maintenance of their own land in terms of peace and security, if they get advanced scientific equipments developed, then that would be for the betterment of the nation itself.However, history has cited enough to support what Quatrux said .... probably wars have helped evolve science to a large extent.