xisto Community
nakulgupta

Network Places: Alternative To Ftp On Windows Drag and drop files easily to your accnt

Windows has a feature called "Network Places". This can be used for uploading stuff for your site eliminating the need for any ftp client. Here's how we do it.1.Goto Network Places-> Add a new networkplace.2. Click next-> Choose another network Location->Next.3. Now type the following wothout quotes "ftp.yoursubdomain.astahost.com". Click next4. Uncheck log on anonymously and type in ur cPanel username.5. Type any name and click Next->Finish.6. Now open the folder created -> Type in your passwordCongratulations!! You can now upload your files in an instant by dragging and dropping like it were a folder on your hard disk.(Thanks to vizskywalker for guiding me over IRC.)

yeah...that is great...that is what i do too... but if you dont like that way...or want to stick to ftp or download any program or w/e... i found this usefull...for a week or two... it is an online ftp app... net2ftp idk...i think that the network places with windows works better for me...depends... just thought id add a different way to do things...

@ebbinger_413 : your link to net2ftp seems broken !@peterwilli : I also use the ftp:myaccoung@myserver.com.However, nakulgupta's tricks is very interesting because it remains in your Crosoft Explorer window, you don't have to retype your address everyday.

Very useful ty

We are also here for learning how to write down correct English Sentences (at least some of us). So, please, write down full words : write down "thank you very much" instead of writing down "ty".Regards
Yordan

I have used this method for quite a while now. Usually I have Firefox open so I use Firefox's FTP interface but sometimes I use Windows Explorer instead. I also must use this at school to upload to the school server as they don't have any FTP clients or Firefox there, otherwise it's just the command line.

upload to the school server as they don't have any FTP clients or Firefox there

You can use the FileZilla standalone ftp client, it does not need to be installed : you can run it from your USB flashdisk, or you put it somewhere on the hard disk and you erase it when finished.

It works, but in general, it is quite old, and most people would rather use a proper ftp client, though I imagine those with less experiance probably love this, and it's good of you to post this, since many don't that it does FTP, I actually needed this to jog my memory.