xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Adwodon

Linux + Laptop = No No? A question for those who know..

I have a laptop running SUSE Linux, and it's great! Also about the power management, if it doesn't work properly, it might be because of 2 things, either your computer doesn't support ACPI or in KDE it is told to update every __ seconds. Reset it to 1 sec.For sound, please tell us the sound card or just update the sound system ALSA to 1.0.8.xboxrulz

I have a laptop running SUSE Linux, and it's great! Also about the power management, if it doesn't work properly, it might be because of 2 things, either your computer doesn't support ACPI or in KDE it is told to update every __ seconds. Reset it to 1 sec.

For sound, please tell us the sound card or just update the sound system ALSA to 1.0.8.

xboxrulz

i think the best distro for a laptop is ubuntu or kubuntu, it supports laptops and some big amount of drivers, even you can boot thier cd's from pci-cd-rom "this feature you will not find in any other distro, i tried a lot of them" also it has a good performance on battery, it stands for a long time on my laptop at least 1.5 hours and that's so much "windows XP doesn't run more than 25 minutes" and my battery is so old one :o.

and i has one comment about linux on a laptop is no no no :

"I HAD NEVER TRIED LINUX ON A DESKTOP"

Your friend must read a lot about computing, Linux, Hardware, Software and before all of that about kernels and BIOS :P

Edited by XIII (see edit history)

I definitely don't think Ubuntu/Kubuntu is great. The only thing they have that SuSE doesn't have is an NDISWRAPPER GUI tool that SuSE Linux doesn't have yet.Plus, Kubuntu doesn't have the "suspend to disc" button. I have too shut off and reboot it traditionally and that's annoying when I'm on the run.xboxrulz

I have to agree with xboxrulz a litle bit.. but as far as i remember there are modules for ubuntu that will make it "suspend to disc" and the fact that ubuntu is one of the few that always worked perfectly on all the laptops i had and is rather easy to understand for people new to the linux envirement. (Also because it has a great communitie and almost every question is found on the forums). But yes.. i think your friend indeed doesnt know jack about computers.. linux cant infect your bios.. unless you really want it to (and then again it has nothing to do with the kernel)..

I agree some parts of what Twistit, but Ubuntu still pisses people who are power users because all the powerful, heavy duty commands are so hard to execute, like for example, adding in a new X server for my games just in case the game crashes, and doesn't take my KDE desktop with it. Ubuntu makes it so hard. Plus, my battery on Ubuntu dies faster than on SuSE.xboxrulz

Hey, xboxrulz, do you know of a laptop brand that runs Linux nicely? I have an Averatec but NOTHING will install... I've been trying to dual boot for months but everything just causes a "kernel panic" and it stops. I've tried Red Hat 9 to SuSE 10 to even Ubuntu...It loves Windows, no problem :D... I may end up buying a new laptop just so I can finally run Linux on the go...[N]F

I run Slackware 10.2 on my Dell 600m with no problems at all. Granted, I had to go through the trouble of making sure everything was configured correctly, but nonetheless everything works. After the install there were a few things that didn't work "out of the box". Such as my...soundwifimonitor settingsI had to install ndiswrapper to get my wifi working, but that was cake. Just a few commands and scripts, and everything was peachy keen. I had to install ATI's proprietary drivers to get my LCD resolution to 1400x1050 (the way I like it). The default resolution was 1280x1024 or whatever it is, which would be fine, but I like higher res. My sound works after playing around with alsamixer.Since this is a laptop, I had to make sure to build the kernel with the ACPI option. This make lets Linux know that this system is a laptop, so it'll have battery support, stand by, and things like that.If you don't want to go through the trouble of configuring pieces of hardware on your laptop, I highly recommend Ubuntu as a distro. Pretty much everything will work right after install and it has a lot more graphical interfaces for things such as updates and all.

I asked this in another thread, but what Linux distro runs easily on an AMD dual core? Someone told me that AMD X2 doesn't support linux yet. but if it does, what's a distro that is easy to use and set up for someone who hardly has any experience with it?

I have laptop with Windows XP home installed. Then I installed Ubuntu for my second OS. I'm become ubuntu fans since Ubuntu 5.04 until now Ubuntu 6.10. Ubuntu very easy to use and very nice hardware detection. I've Fedora Core 5 on my laptop but I remove it again because i'm not comfortable with it.

Because ubuntu based on debian, the think that i like is about the easy way for installing or uninstalling packet using apt-get. For GUI packet manager synaptic is rock!. Just select packet that you want to install and forget the dependencies.

------------------------ :) --------------------------------

Posted Image

I asked this in another thread, but what Linux distro runs easily on an AMD dual core? Someone told me that AMD X2 doesn't support linux yet. but if it does, what's a distro that is easy to use and set up for someone who hardly has any experience with it?

Any Linux distribution that allows SMP in the kernel can support dual core machines.

xboxrulz