xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Adwodon

Linux + Laptop = No No? A question for those who know..

well i have been running fedora core 6 on my laptop since it came out and before that i had fedora core 5. its a great operating system!! both have seemed to run on my latop very well. i have been running it on my main system for ages before i put it on the laptop, and i think the onyl reason that i out it on the laptop was it worked so well in my desktop!my laptop isn't the greatest of machines (256mb memory shared graphics, 40gb hard drive, amd sempron mobile 3000+) but it still runs fedora well.the only thing that wont work on my laptop is the wireless network card, but that was no suprise to me anyway!

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

I've had several friends, and some professors, that have linux installed on their laptops without any problems. I don't know how the BIOS could get screwed up through using Linux, but if anything happens, you can "unscrew" it up with a flash overwrite (or whatever it's technically called). I would dual-boot if I were you, just so you don't get all freaked out by the switch. Keep it as a play-thing at first, and then begin to rely on it once you understand how it works, that way you won't risk getting your data screwed up (VERY BAD and VERY POSSIBLE). Once you feel comfortable with it, go for the gusto and switch cold-turkey.I would recommend getting a "hold your hand" type *nix like Ubuntu first, just to get the flavor of *nix, and then move into something deeper like Debian or BSD.