xisto Community
szupie

Firefox 1.0.2 Newest Version

I just got the newest version of firefox and installed. It disabled all my extensions. If you have the same problem, you can first go to your extensions options thing, then right click on each of your extensions to disabled them. Restart your firefox, go to the extensions thing again, then enable all of them. Now, after you restart again. They should all be available to you again.

Oh, I just saw the new release's page. It said that the extensions it disabled will be enabled when

Firefox determines that either a) they are compatible with the new release or :) there are newer versions available that are compatible

Oops. Well, you can do it my way if you can't live without your extensions, like me. :(

For an easy way to upgrade from Firefox < 1.0.2 to Friefox 1.0.2, run Firefox. In the upper right (right next to the wheel of dots, under the restor or maximize icon) wll be a red arrow pointing up. Double click this arrow; Firefox will search for updates. Install Firefox version 1.0.2 when prompted. After starting version 1.0.2, the red arrow will again appear. Double click it; Firefox should find no updates. If it does, just install them.

The red arrow pointing up doesn't appear in all Firefox skins. In the Firefox skin I use, there are 2 icon buttons under the restore/maximize button. The left one is a red puzzle piece. The other is a gray square with an "m" in it (stands for "Mozilla" if I'm not mistaken). When the gray square is moused over, a text balloon appears under it that says "Go to the Firefox home page". When the red puzzle piece is moused over, the resulting text balloon says "Critical Update(s) available". That is the one to click to get the latest version of Firefox. Of course, your buttons may vary.

It’s just a security upgrade and I did it with no problems at all. The install even located where the program was installed without I having to choose a directory. And no mine is not installed in c:\programs files.

All right here's a funny thing - would you believe if I say that this red arrow you guys are talking about never occured to me as a red arrow ?? For some reason till I read this post - I always thought of it as a tiny little bell inside a red circle.. lol.. to go with on the lines of new announcements... Just a funny thought that I wanted to share with you guys... Ding Dong.. Finally I'm getting to be a certified psycho :) ahh at last

Yeah, patch is a great idea. I was about to install the 1.0.2 when I wondered if it's going to be a new install again instead of a patch, but I was disappointed. New installs doesn't feel as nice, sometimes they scare me.

I always uninstall the old Firefox before installing the new update because I have limited space. I'd have over 50MB wasted on my disk if I didn't. And to make matters worse, if you install a new version and then try to uninstall the old, it uninstalls both.

The install is simply a rebuilt version of the original Firefox with the security fixes added into the install. So basically, when you upgrade you reinstall Firefox with the new security fixes over the old Firefox.

Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2 is just a patch for potential vulnerabilities which has not a single record of real world exploits but released just in case. You can choose not to download it but it is recommended. This bug was identified by Internet Security Systems, which is a security research company for products and services.

I always uninstall the old Firefox before installing the new update because I have limited  space.  I'd have over 50MB wasted on my disk if I didn't.  And to make matters worse, if  you install a new version and then try to uninstall the old, it uninstalls both.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh crap... I forgot about that... I'm off to uninstall Firfox, then reinstall 1.0.2... I hope they fix that in the next build...

The red arrow pointing up doesn't appear in all Firefox skins. In the Firefox skin I use, there are 2 icon buttons under the restore/maximize button. The left one is a red puzzle piece. The other is a gray square with an "m" in it (stands for "Mozilla" if I'm not mistaken). When the gray square is moused over, a text balloon appears under it that says "Go to the Firefox home page". When the red puzzle piece is moused over, the resulting text balloon says "Critical Update(s) available". That is the one to click to get the latest version of Firefox. Of course, your buttons may vary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Won't uninstalling Firefox and then installing the new version cause one to lose their extensions/plugins/skins? (Of course it may not matter if one didn't download and install any extensions/plugins/skins.) :)

No, the extensions/skins reside in your system drive, and they won't ever be deleted unless you reformat. That way when you want your program back, you can return it to the previous state easily. That reminds me that I forgot to reinstall firefox... :)