xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

New Irc Channel For This Board

First of all, I don't mind IRC. Well to some extent I do, since I've had loads of issues with it. But my question is.. will it not take the attention away from the boards? I mean, most people who post an issue here want a fast response, knowing that IRC is chat, which is usually faster than forums, will that not make them go to IRC faster instead of posting it here? Which then could lead to us answering the exact same questions all the time... I hope I am making myself clear in this.. I don't want to say I don't like the idea, but maybe only for mods? Or something? I clearly see the advantages for mods and admins, but my fear is that members will use the IRC channels more than the forums in the end simply to get "help" faster. And that is something I want to avoid.

Don't worry about the channel taking away the attention from the board. I thought so too at first. But if you take a second look - it's not quite possible to make large reply posts such as here on irc. That place is for some quick help regarding hosting & other issues - or answers to some short questions regarding this board. On IRC you can't:1. Post good tutorials2. Explain a big setup/installation/problem fixing process step by step3. All the rest of cool stuff that we do at this forum and the way we share our ideas. 4. Get web-hosting ;) (lol) - you can't do that on IRC for sure. Now we come upon the biggest motivating factor (for most) to keep posting here. No Posts, No Host ;)5. Think of some really convincing reasons on your own and add them in here .... :)Other than that +factors:1. This represents stream of conciousness which is important for building a strong community where everyone knows each other2. We could provide help much faster if we were using live chat :(3. For unix lovers - IRC's one of the best mediums to get started on unix and know a whole lot about it. Also great place to learn scripting in the various scripting languages that *NIX offers.

3. For unix lovers - IRC's one of the best mediums to get started on unix and know a whole lot about it. Also great place to learn scripting in the various scripting languages that *NIX offers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, you convinced me :( So it's ok. I just had to bring that up huh? LOL. Anyhow, can I get ops too LOL. It's kind of odd to be "normal" there while even just Hosted have Voice and I don't :)

--- Looking up irc.dal.net..--- Connecting to irc.dal.net (194.68.45.50) port 6667..
--- Connection failed.

I seem to get these messages all the time since yesterday :S, so i can't connect :)

[21:58] *** Creating connection "DALnet"[21:58] *** Error while connecting (Error Code: 0).  Disconnecting.
[21:58] *** Reconnecting to IRC as "Dooga".
[21:58] *** Will attempt 10 connections with 60 second intervals.
[21:58] *** Connecting to IRC as "DALnet", attempt #1.
[21:58] *** Error while connecting (Error Code: 0).  Disconnecting.

I don't know what seems to be wrong... it is irc.dal.net::6667 right?

Yeah, szupie's right, it would be a much easier format for meetings, but, well I'm not staff :P, but that would obviously only apply if you had meetings.Jipman and Dooga, if you're still having trouble, try using a different port, like, I dunno :6668?

I don't know what seems to be wrong... it is irc.dal.net::6667 right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

try to disable any firewall .. if that dosent help, check if ur IPS blocks some ports as Trekkie said. If everything else fails, err .. i think you could use a proxy bypasser and get through, a little illegal i know, but if nothing works thats ur last resort.

cheers

That's what we need in the channel - PEOPLE :D We need people to join us there regularly and have some fun :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok well, most of the people that come on Xisto dont see "IRC" unless its on a post. I myself didnt see it till 2 days later after joining in. If we need people to join us there, we need a visible link to IRC on the website. almost 30% users are the beginners in computers so what link you give them they click there. rest 40% are the daily web surfers, time is imporatant to them. and the rest 30% are like me :D always on asta or on the net doing something or the other because of the holidays.

It would be nice if you did something about IRC because apart from posting, I guess there should be some means of communication and fun between members. May it be just chat or games on IRC, either ways it helps keep people glued on.

Cheers .. :D