xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hast-webben

Followup: Ultimate Protection? Is there a PERFECT combination??

Hi,I think that I'm the most selected victim of both virus and troyan attacs, even that I update my antivirus (norton 2003) and OS.I've tried the most of firewalls and antivirus programs have the most respect of Internet using, and still doesn't it helps much.Almost every second month do I have to reformat my harddisk and reinstall OS, and it really annoys me.I think that there is a several experts here, and I also think that other would like to know how to do the ultimate protection, without close any communication to the net.Following security solutions has been tried.Norton Internet Security 2002-03McAfee Internet SecuritySygate Firewall ProAvg AntivirusPanda Internet SecurityNorman AntivirusZone AlarmI'm sure that there is a couple more that I don't remember, but above mentioned had been working for a while, then after attaced anyway. Again I have always very straight decipline with updating and keeping away from risk zones.Do any have some better ideas, I really hope so.See you!CheersJens

Well it would help to know... What OS are you using? Cause it mattersDo you have all your security updates?Cause no matter what security you got they will keep coming back if you don't plug in the holes.What the hell kind of sties have you been visiting to kill you in a single month?I mean with a simple Norton & all my updates not even pr0n or warez gets to me.Also what kind of connection/network you on?Cause it might help to know...

Poor guy,I've never used an Antivirus or Firewall.The only thing I sometimes use is a spyware checker :DI haven't had a virus in 7 years, and the only time I had one, is when I installed one on PURPOSE.silly me :DIf you are carefull enough, you don't need all of it.

Actually your protection can be sumed up in one go, stupid, no seriously its very dumb. Just run, Nortons Internet Security and AV, also maybe get Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware for free. What you are using is just silly.1 Firewall is enough just use it right1 AV is enough, just get a good one.The other too just help kill Internet Explorers probs.

Hi,To be honest, as I think that I really have to. I haven't got any more attacs after that I did stopped to use any IM's. ICQ is the #1 to get uninvited guests, and you can't even control it 100%. But I can also mention that it does really matter what you're accepting when your Firewall warns you. But the reason to start this discussion was meant to all others who are new into Internet, who desperatly trying to protecting agains these as mentioned above "uninvited guests", as they are there and awaiting contantly to find an victim to attac, and many of them as I know think that ICQ is an harmless tool.Thanks anywayCheersJens

It seems like to me that you have no antispywares so consider installing one from here.The antiviruses you listed there only have some of the most common spyware signatures in their database from what I know so don't count on it. I recommend getting a registry monitoring tool like Prevx Home but you can also try out Spybot - Search & Destroy's TeaTimer which is less annoying but remember to disable Prevx Home when you are installing something from a trusted provider. Since some unwanted programs install themselves without the user's acknowledgements, this will come in as the last line of defense if in any case, your antivirus/antispyware misses it. Immunize your computer with SpywareBlaster, brought you by Javacool Software. Spybot - Search & Destroy also has this feature but SpywareBlaster covers most of it.

Anyone who doesn't use a Anti Virus or at least a Firewall is an idiot. No. Seriously. Do you have any idea how crapped up you PC will be if you don't do at least a scan a month for viuses and a scan a week for ad/spy ware? Maybe you should read my guide on these fourms Optimize You PC .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, it will be nicer if you don't call people without antivirus or firewall idiots. Some people just don't seem to have enough memory to do that or they don't know the threats of these "unwanted programs". Others may just use their computers for "honeypots". Most of my friends don't really give a damn about antiviruses so I try my best to explain it to them about how serious is the threat that they pose. On the other hand, nice tutorial and that should get some people to do just that.

Anyone who doesn't use a Anti Virus or at least a Firewall is an idiot. No. Seriously. Do you have any idea how crapped up you PC will be if you don't do at least a scan a month for viuses and a scan a week for ad/spy ware? Maybe you should read my guide on these fourms Optimize You PC .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can agree that it isn't those who dosn't use Antivirus, firewall or antispyware who are the idiots, but them who can't leave poor regular inocent peoples privacy alone. I really do hate to use all my ram and harddisk on protection of those subejcts. I really can't see the fun and the idea behind surch terror.

So I think if any asks for help to protection do deserve to get an polite treatment, and not to be called for stupid or idiots.

Think about that!

Cheers!

Jens

Or just dont use MS windows.BSD / Solaris / GNU / MacOSX it doesnt really matter aslong as its not windows :Di havnt had any malware / worms / virii / trojans / adware / spyware on my computer ever.

I don't know about Ultimate protection, but Ad-Aware is free and is a very good program. You can update it every day with new virus to search for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For your information, Ad-Aware SE is an antispyware that scans for spyware unless this spyware is considered a virus by some antivirus vendors. No offense, Mr Bond but virus and spywares are different things from my point of view.

Of course everyone knows that having anti-virus software is crucial to your computer's survival on the net these days. Everyone is vulnerable to an attack and having anti-virus software will minimize the chances of getting one by alot. But I do not seriously believe that not having anti-virus software will mean that your computer will be totally vulnerable. I myself turn off my firewall most of the time on the net because there are still some safe sites which are blocked. (Basically i just forget to turn my firewall back on after I'm done...) I scan my computer for spyware using Ad-aware maybe once every month and usually get 1 or 2 wandering spyware files in my computer. Its no big deal. Viruses are now a thing of the past. New computers usually all come equipped with programs ready to pounce on any suspicous files. Site hosts checks frequently for virus files on their customer's accounts. I don't see why we should get all these software. Maybe we SHOULD at least have Anti-virus software but forget the firewall or spyware scanning for home users. It is IMPOSSIBLE to actually clear off all these threats from your computer. Everyone would definitely once in maybe a few years reformat their computers and start over with nothing in it. No problem!

Uhm.... I don't have a firewall, because it is my choice. However I do run some protection (which I am not going to disclose anymore). The biggest issue with not running a firewall is that there ARE people out there, who spend their time online by scanning for IP addresses, then scan the ports of those IP addresses provided they receive a ping back. This is all automated. I personally prefer to keep my NetBios shut, as many other ports to not offer those people a chance to "have some fun".I also like to have a virusscanner scan incoming files. Maybe not for my own puter, which (for the record) gets reformated every 4 months, but for those with whom I exchange pictures, files etc. For those with whom I share a webcam connection. Imagine the damage if you would be hosted on a win server and you upload a file infected with a virus.... Just imagine the damage... Yes, this to some extent is paranoia. I didn't have this a few months back. But after 3 people from my group of friends all got a file from one person and their puter ended up completely messed up, I did get more protective over my puter. Not having a firewall, virusscanner etc, because the threat is not too big is like not using a condom because the chances on getting aids are not so great. I just wouldn't take that risk, neither am I willing to risk my puter or the puter of others.

Viruses are now a thing of the past.

A recent test, showed that a unpatched WindowsXP machine simply connected to the uinternet, and booted (no-one using it) became infected within 30 minutes.
Ok, hat wouldnt happen with a fully up to date windowsXP with firewall's and all the other stuff, but for that ip to be sound so quickly, there must be a lot of infected machines out there looking. For the Linux / Unix / BSD users, and windows users who perform constant maintenance, virii may be a thing of the past, but for the computer illiterate windows users, its worse than ever.

which (for the record) gets reformated every 4 months

surely it would be less time consuming to learn *nix ?