xisto Community
Slacker110

School Firewalls

I didn't tell you this but their are programs that connect though porxies that may work, like i belive one is callled yourfreedom. Try a google search on that, then the only problem is installing it on the school computer i don't know if it needs to make registry changes cause if not you should be able to copy the program to a cd and run it from the cd. But remember you didn't hear this from me.

To get into hotmail...Try using another email service that knows how to manage e-mail through its site. I think gawab.com or bluebottle.com would work. I use both but not for checking hotmail. N for your friends bands site. Try the proxie thing. Or you could maybe change the firewall settings of your school? Mine are really easy to get into...So I never have that problem.Good luck though

When my website was blocked from my school, I just accessed it via FTP, but you'd have to know the password.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^BAD IDEA....He wouldn't have the ability to view the pages like he could if he was viewing them through http....And besides...He's not gunna be able to get the ftp passwords lol...That would equal to security holes n such.

^^^BAD IDEA....He wouldn't have the ability to view the pages like he could if he was viewing them through http....And besides...He's not gunna be able to get the ftp passwords lol...That would equal to security holes n such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who said I was a guy?? You are talking about me right?? Does my profile say i'm a guy?? Trust me, i have all the qualifications to be female.

Our computer tech just blocked my ways of getting around the schools firewall to get to hotmail and my friends band site. Is there any way that I can still get around the firewall for free??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on what OS your school uses on the puters and which server OS....

In my case, we had Red Hat (and UNIX - just command line on server), then you'd just open a command window - log in on the server, start the browser from there. Gah, I used to know how to do this, I suppose not being in school kinda made me forget some of these things :).

Hotmail is probably just blocked, your friends band site however I don't see a direct reason to block it, unless there is "mature" content there. I vaguely remember something can be changed in the Browsers connection settings. I will try to look it up in my old notes, can't make a promise though..

I STRONGLY recomend you get rid of this enitre topic now, the minute companys like WebSense see this and they do through searches using google will ban this site on the spot, they wont allow it, they do it all the time, even subtle hints get blocked. You may wish to do this soon!

You know, there are normally ways around this.At my school they banned going to google.com/images by typing the term into the original box and thenc cliking on the images tab, but they didn't ban going onto picsearch.com or by simply going directly to the images website of google to search for pictures.If you use a pop email and that's banned just use any web based pop email reciever, or look at it directly through cpanel.Sometimes you can get around the firewall simply by changing the www. at the front for a http:// (yes I know that sounds stupid), also sometimes you can view the website through google cache (not very useful but at least you can see it), also you could try simply asking the administrator if he could unban your friend's band's website, and hotmail, neither of which pose any sort of harm to anybody.

I got the same problem when trying to access pages like google.com or hotmail.com. Actually on my first days at school the computers OS run on windows 98. And because you know that it is a campus you have to install security software to avoid students from changing the settings of the pc. They use something called guardian, but I was so annoyed with the limitation, so I tried to install PC security by tropsoft, hehehe got it I got the power on my side. I changed all the settings, and PC security has more features than guardian. The admin looked very disappointed with the program that I installed, and he was not aware who installed it. Apparently I got caught because my classmate never responded to the SOS of my other classmate. He warned me of this and that. Until then the entire campus replaced the os to win2000 and winnt. And they got this firewall that blocks websites. I like google a lot and they blocked it including all .com sites. So I tried google in other countries like google.nl, google.it. And on the webmail I used adres.nl but it doesn't offer free mail anymore. When the admin found out that most of the students can still use other sites, he gave up and enabled all site, hehehe.

My school uses Bess, which blocks most appropriate sites, leaving us with only inappropriate sites. It blocks proxies sites, so I can't find proxies at school. Then I found Sneak2, which is a site that is hopefully not blocked at your school, and can do something like how google caches a page, except Sneak2 gives you the current updated page. It takes your request, then uses its server to get the page you want, then sends it to you, so that the firewall can't block it. There are lots of addresses to Sneak2, so it's best if you go to your school and use google to check for one that isn't blocked. http://www.sneak2.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ are probably blocked, but others may not be. Just don't use it to do illegal stuff, like watching pr0n... :D

Now, I've had this same problem and got annoyed one day, and now i browse anything i please. :D

My school uses Bess and Sonicwall, tween the 2 block alot. what you need is a CGI proxy, base it on a webserver. The idea is that you get a site you can connect to, (such as my own website), then it uses that server, (GET command), to get any site you wish. I use cyberanon. Theres a few others, google CGI proxy.

Theyre very simple to set up, i managed to do it. There is a way to delete meta tags from any site you get with it if you understand perl, but in my case it wasnt needed. Meta tags are the part that most search engines look for, and filters the same. You just can rewrite the option to delete javascript (which is built in) to delete meta tags. I dont know any programming so i cant help you, but i guess its possible.