xisto Community
Dodger

Pretty Expensive Ten Cents

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- A dime struck in 1894 at the San Francisco mint was auctioned Monday for $1,322,500, the most ever paid for a United States dime, experts said.The winning bidder took part in the sale by phone and was not identified.The coin, described as being in nearly pristine condition, was one of only 24 dimes made that year at the San Francisco mint, whose director had requested them as gifts for visiting bankers.Just 10 of the dimes are believed to remain.The coin was consigned to the auction by Bradley Hirst of Richmond, Indiana, who bought it for $825,000 six years ago, according to John Feigenbaum, president of David Lawrence Rare Coins of Virginia Beach, Virginia, the auctioneer.

Well that is to much for a dime. No matter whos opinion. I would not pay that much money for a dime. That is just insane. Does anyone else agree with me. That person should have paid 10 cents for the dime.

wow. it might be something special to hard core coin collectors but that is a whole lot of money for just a dime. even if i had the money, there is no way i would spend over one million dollars just so i can have a coin to look at. there are so many other ways that that kind of money could be put towards better use.

Now thats what I call unnecessary wasting of valuable oney. You know, It is better to use that money to hellp the needy instead of just throwing all that to the wind for the sake of buying a very old dime. Yes, I call that throwing money to the wind cos I dont see anything special in a dime....no matter what it iis made of or when it was minted.Thats all I got to say.

hmmm. i think, even if i had billions of dollars, i would not pay that money for a dime.i bought a $1 coin in vietnam for $1. probably fake, but it was pretty good, and i spent it in the US. but i think i'd pay $.10 for it. no more.

I have been hanging on to a handful of various coins since i was a kid. I have researched some and and found a few are only face value but a couple are worth a little more. I have 1 dime that if it had 1 letter on it it would be woth like 5 million dollars! :angry: But alas it dosent so its only worth about 20 bucks. :blink: I also have a couple silver certifcates. One 5 dollar and one 1 dollar. They look like normal bills but the writing on them says silver certificate. Most money is backed by gold but when theese were in circulation they were backed by silver. Im sure they could be still used as currency at fce value but they are much more valuable to collectors.