xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
backflipkid

Cracks And Mods

can someone please explain to me what the difference between cracks and mods are and how to install them into the programs...i have halo for PC and ive been wondering were to find the cracks or mods and how to install them and if you could give me a step by step process that would be awesome. :)

I think cracks are usually illegal, used to remove the program's awareness of things like expiration date, license, etc. (i.e. used to make programs with limited functions into full-version like.) mods I think are just used to modify programs, usually games, so that they are more fun or interesting or easy. Those usually aren't illegal.

i think both are actually illegal to do. usually cracks are in forms of a program file to replaces the orginal one. the most popular ones are no-cd cracks. which obviously lets you play games without the hassle of a insertion of a cd. this is only legal only if you only have a orginal version of the game. if not its likely that you have a duplication of the game.'crack' can be a negitive term is it also used in finding out a unknown password or code. like in films they 'cracked' a four digit code something using a device.mods are like games that are modified to the users needs. bits of the orginal game and then changed to even better look or fun. i think this is illgeal too as you might need permission or right to modify the contents of the cd.

Harriko is right both are illegal and if you read the tos and rules of this forum you will find that such discussions are not allowed here.Cracks allow you to make a demo proram work as a registered one, and mods do the same. Nothing illegal is allowed.

Some games let you download mods they release on their on, so it wouldn't be illegal. But the company would never release cracks! (Would be hilarious if it did though! :) )

I'm very surprised that mods were illegal. One of the top posted topics on the steam fourms are the garrys mod screen shots, and other things to do with garrys mod. Wouldn't you think that if it was illegal, that they would prohibit the posting of that topic? :)

I'm very surprised that mods were illegal.  One of the top posted topics on the steam fourms are the garrys mod screen shots, and other things to do with garrys mod. Wouldn't you think that if it was illegal, that they would prohibit the posting of that topic? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mods are NOT illegal, that are simply additions to a game. I play a couple of games that have mods that you can find on the game's website. Like Sims, And a ferw others that I can't remeber at the moment. Garry's MOD is a prime example....

Cracks ARE illegal, they a a hackers method of making a demo into a full version game. An example of a crack would be the "Corporate XP" ISO that was floating around on the internet. With that version of the software, an i believe still unknown hacker reomoved the activation step from the instalation of the software....

Let me explain a little better which I should have done before. There are many types of alterations to software that are called mods. For example the Garry's MOD are small additions to games to enhance them and are accepted, but software that hackers write to nullify time limit on commercial software are also called mods which is what I think backflip was asking about.Cracks on the other hand can be illegally generated serial numbers and fake registration and are usually black listed by commercial software producers.Now there are also small enhancement programs that are written for phpbb forum that are called mods and hacks.

Cracks And Mods

On my opinion you shouldn't use cracks or mods. Cracks or mods messes up every ones gameplay and it may seem fun, but just imagine yourself in other people's point of view. Losing a rank to a Modder woudn't be that fun at all.

I can understand if you use cracks or mods to make videos or do explainations or try to find various glitches in the game that can only be done by a crack or mod. or literally redesigning the whole map for friends and every 1 to play on. then that would be the only acception :unsure:

mmmmmmmmmmmmfrom my point of view mods are reallly nice, make a old game a new game, maps, suits, weapons, but i understand mods is a tool to make the game diferent, more affects, more challenge situationsand cracks is a way to play good without a skill, i love the swet on my hands, the shake on my body, dono you but craks are for loosers, why i wana play a game if i know i can beat anyonethe glory is on a true skill

The main difference between cracks and mods is that cracks are illigal in (almost) every country and mods are not. Let me explain it a bit more.

Cracks

A crack (or software crack) is a modification to an program that removes protection methodes like:

- copy prevention

- trial/demo version

- serial numbers

- hardware key

- CD key

These kind of modifications are (as said before) illigal in (almost) every country in the world, but appart from that cracks are the worst nightmare of every software company because it is getting easier to get an illigal version of a program. But there have been some a bit more positive effects on the industry, as well as general consumers. For example, because of the piracy the popularity of file formats like Xvid and mp3 have increased very, very much.

More information about cracks

Mods (or modifications)

These are usually made by the general public and can be entire new games! They can include things like new items, weapons, characters, enemies, models, modes, textures, levels, story lines and even new game modes.

There are basicly two types of mods:

- Singleplayer mods

- multiplayer mods

Mods that add new content to the original game are often called partial conversions, while mods that create an entirely new game are called total conversions. Some gaming developers (like ID Software, Valve Software, Bethesda Softworks (the TES-Construction Set), and Epic Games) even provide extensive tools and documentation to help mod makers creating new mods for the game.

more information about mods/modifications

-------------------

Hope this answers your question backflipkid ;)

Oh I am so glad there are games that can be modded. I bought Pirates of the Caribbean (originally "Sea Dogs 2" but they were bought out by Disney right before they released the game, and had to change the name). But it had great potential for being a cool game, but it was buggy as all hell. Well, the fan-modding community started working together in making this huge mod (which is in fact a ton of little mods all rolled into one big one) and it totally pulled Pirates of the Caribbean out of the crapper. It adds to many cool features that take advantage of the game engine, and just makes the game much more fun and realistic!Then there's other stuff that just takes old games and makes them worth playing again, like the Kung Fu mod for Max Payne, or the new Hi-Res Textures and more polygon model mods for System Shock 2 (giving it an updated, better looking feel to the game). Morrowind and Oblivion mods are mucho helpful too. Gives the games more to work with.Half Life seems to be the best example of why modding is a good thing. I don't have an extensive background in the history of Half Life, but didn't Counter Strike originate as a fan mod? Then lately there are cool mods for Half Life 2 including Garry's Mod, and the newer Portal mod, which gives us a glimpse into how the new Portal gun is going to work months before the game Portal will even be released by Valve!Yes yes, I fully support mods ;)

Cracks are the small software that are used to remove the restrictions the software developer has made in the Software product. The creation and distribution of Cracks is Illegal in most of the countries and also affects the revenue of the developer.Mods are the Modificatios that are made to the actual product especially Games. Most of the Game publishers provide community MOd Kit for their popular games, Like Max Payne, UT,Quake. You can use the official MOd Packs to create a mod for the game and distribute them freely. But if the Publisher dosent allow you to MOd a product, then you can ofcourse create mods for it if you've paid for that product, but you are not entitled to distribute the Mods, it is Illegal.

cracks are illigal so you can cheat or play whitout you have buy the gamemodsis somthing that chanes the game play there are very different mods for gameslike a mod so you get other carsa wapon mod so you wapens look diferendsound mods for for other soundssome pepol sees a costom map pack as a modyou can add extra game modes whit mods