xisto Community
backflipkid

Easy Video Editing Easy Video Editing

Well to edit/make my dieos I use Windows Movie Maker. Personally I find the program really simple to use and it's really easy to add in pictures, insert music and cut a video. But I haven't really tried any others so I wouldn't know! B)

the last time i needed to edit a video i used windows movie maker. finaly it was a very nice movie, with movie maker i did everything i wanted like adding titles, pictures, effects, cutting video, adding music etc. if you want something more professional try ulead video studio (or smtg like that), i didnt try it but a friend who uses it say me its really good and i have t try it. maybe he is right cz i saw some of his video and they are perfect! dont know if its because of his talent or of the software he used ;panw if you didnt try them both

I often use windows movie maker for simple jobs but due to its lack of a wide range of professional features i usually opt for vegas 4.0 (sony product) which is really good and has more features then you can count.Ive been able to produce really good high quality videos from it with a very much professional feel.i highly reccommend it. there is a tiral version available to if you just want to try it.

well i always use windows movie maker, it's nice and simple.
and few days ago i came across another simple video editing program. link
it is presentavid. i tested it, it's even easier than win movie maker, hasn't many many options but can add callouts, your own logos & watermarks, can burn dvd and publish video in different popular formats (even flash and gif), also can record a screen (region, window) and then allows to edit it...

i just recommend you to try several programs and then make a choice.

Since this is a video editing topic, I would like to throw my own question in to the fray:Say I were to make a video in 3ds Max. Are there any programs that I could export the 3ds .avi file in to, and edit the movie to make it look like an old fashioned film? Grainy, torn frames, black and white sort of effects?

Since this is a video editing topic, I would like to throw my own question in to the fray:
Say I were to make a video in 3ds Max. Are there any programs that I could export the 3ds .avi file in to, and edit the movie to make it look like an old fashioned film? Grainy, torn frames, black and white sort of effects?

Microsoft's Movie Maker will do all of that. So will Avid FreeDV. As for other editing software solutions, pretty much every other editing application will let you creat an old fashioned look to it.

I'll also through in Blender3D since it's free and has a lot of NLA featuers in the latest builds inclduing nodes and limited compositing features. It's not as slick as Premiere on the PC or any of the Apple products (iMovieHD, FCE, FCP, etc.) but should do what you ask.

I have been using VirtualDub for my video editing. It has a lot of useful filters that I need, and it's opensource, so it's free. It will only really work with avi and importing mpeg, so I have to find third party software to covert it to wmv if I want to put it on the web, but it is rather easy to work with once you get the hang of it.

http://virtualdub.org/

I've just used windows movie maker as of the time being... it's quite simple but you can't get most of the desired effects that you like... my friends also suggested Adobe premiere for it has good tool environment and is quite easy to use...

Since this is a video editing topic, I would like to throw my own question in to the fray:
Say I were to make a video in 3ds Max. Are there any programs that I could export the 3ds .avi file in to, and edit the movie to make it look like an old fashioned film? Grainy, torn frames, black and white sort of effects?

Yamato,

Yes, you can make a 3d film in 3dsmax and then edit it on a video editor, like Adobe Premiere or Adobe AfterEffects. Generally, when you render some material to be edited in movie editors, you shouldnt save them in avi mode, because avi (generally) is compressed and consequently there is a loss. Normally, you should save in tga format (or even high quality jpg). In this case, TGA (Targa) format is better because it allows record the Alpha Channel.

Let me know if you need any help.

Rgds.
tuba3d

Actuall, you want to save in AVI since there is an uncompressed option. It's only been in the last few years that people have been DIVX encoding AVI. In animation, we either use OpenEXR or TGA (with RGBA options) to make compositing a lot easier down the road.

Actuall, you want to save in AVI since there is an uncompressed option. It's only been in the last few years that people have been DIVX encoding AVI.
In animation, we either use OpenEXR or TGA (with RGBA options) to make compositing a lot easier down the road.

unimatrix,

Divx is a recent encoding engine, it's true, but avi has been compressed a long time ago, the DivX technology it is only much more efficient. The disadvantage of using uncompressed AVI is about the file size and the computer capacity required to manipulate such file.

I suggest to use files for each frame instead using video files, except for MOV file when you are editing under a Mac platform.

Rgds
tuba3d