xisto Community
Airlub

Windows Xp Vs. Linux Which one do you prefer?

I am a hard - and - fast windows user - i really don't know why though. Linux intrigues me, the various features that is has and the other things i'm hearing, it seems to be really good. but at the end of the day, when i want a familiar place which feels at home, only windows is able to give that easiness. i'm not against linux, just saying that i've become habituated to windows.

Many ask, then why do most people run Windows? The answer lies on the market. Microsoft advertise their junk to the world and say that it's the best operating system in the world and tries to block out competition so that everyone is happy. Linux has not advertise before, it's a program that relies on word of mouth. I converted a Windows user to use SuSE Linux, he was happy and he said it was much easier and he felt safer than using Windows.I even bring my laptop running SuSE Linux 9.3 to school and my classmates couldn't even crack through the security system, they even try to run a toy virus to delete the kernel, but that didn't work.Why? It's because of the permission system that UNIX and Linux has. Windows' permission system is not good enough, because programs still can delete system files running as Limited User, normal user in Linux,So, why not switch some ask? It's because the market is still aimed at Microsoft and most people's mind-set is: if it ain't [completely] broke, don't fix it.Therefore, it's your decisions to move away from Windows. We as users control the market. See what happens when 50%+ runs on Linux, most developers will swap their software to Linux and more new users will be using it.Linux is as easy (or easier) than Windows. The problem is that Linux expert make Linux looks harder than it is. They use terms that so called normal or some of us call barely computer literate never heard before and they will be afraid.I was barely computer illiterate and I discovered Linux, I found it easy at first when using Linspire, I found this system interesting. Then, I moved on to Mandriva (formerly Mandrake), but end up switching to SuSE because it was buggy. I have stayed w/ SuSE Linux since 9.0 which was around March 2004. Now I use SuSE 9.3 and I'm very satisfied with the ease of use.So, now you have to really decide if Windows XP is really the best system. Also, remember that Linux can do what Windows can do or even more.Finally, please note that Linux is NOT UNIX, it's a clone of UNIX, but better. WINE is not an emulator, it's a Windows compatibility layer. FreeBSD is a version of UNIX.That's my research and IMO. For those who still argue that Windows is better, re-read this post and my post about 1 or 2 pages back.xboxrulz

Web Servers-then linux is the best option.

I almost agree. I would correct it, saying "For servers, Unix is the best option".Then, knowing that you need a Unix system, let's see what this system will do : databases, web, for how many users, which bandwidth, which price do you want to pay, do you need security, redundancy, high-availibility...
And this will tell you how big your machine will be, and then you will see which Unix wil work on this machine. This could be linux, but it could also be HP-UX, Sun-Os, AIX...
Most of them work almost the same way as Linux, you can easily switch from one to the orher one.

AIX and HP-UX aren't exactly dead. BSD and GNU/Linux are just what you see in homes and in the hands of hobbyists more often, like us. AIX and HP-UX still have their places in the workplace, although more often now, GNU/Linux and BSD systems are deployed more often, probably due to lower cost and higher popularity.

Linux all the way, you don't get many stability problems that you get for free with XP (and if you happen to mistakenly get rid of the inestability, don't worry, MS will soon produce a big pack of errors and call it Service Pack)... Pathetic...Besides, you get complete and total control of your computer, get probably better software than the one that comes out for Windoz and most likely it'll be for free, and as a bonus as, linux is an open system so it's very unlikely that you don't get support IF any problems comes up.I pity myself because I have to be using windows all the time (the computer I have right now needs to have windows, since most of the software that my company uses is not linux compatible. That, and the fact that the company won't let me install linux in it to make it a dual boot system ;) )... THANK GOD FOR LIVE CD's (My knoppix CD is like my American Express... Never leave home without it). ;)

well or me, i like linux WAY better than XP. linux and xp are on the opposite spectrums of os. XP is bloated, slow, lethargic, and unrealiable. Linux is faster, streamlined, and perfect fodder for geeks to screw around with os. however, linux drives novice computer users up the wall. it's quit amusing to watch a novice try to use fluxbox...

nothing to compareWindows Xp Vs. Linux

I thing there is nothing to compare between linux and xp. In every aspect linux is way ahead of xp. As there are hundreds of linux os  and lack of popularity  people are steal using xp largely.Personally I have seen after using just for one month my friends are quite ready to forshake linux. XP Iis only for gamers . Even in this respect linux OS likeMandriva , sabayon are including huge games like windows .In linux you will find lot of scope for experimenting with the very os .I personallyhave changed my mepis  in a way that it is difficult to recognise as mepis . People with a xp choice should ask some basic questions of compuer hardware. I can bet they will give far bad answer than linux user because linux users have wide choise and wide scope of experimenting with their computer . 

-reply by Bilash

I have my system dual boot for one reason. Games... Can't play l4d on linux especially if you use ati :P

-reply by mike

linux only good to use as a server lolxp too lol other then that paper lol vita or windows 7 now people on mac no offence lol upgrade lolwill not heart you cheers no offence to mac lovers

No offense Linux users... But i love way better windows XP then Linux...First of all well at least for me Windows XP is way easier to work with more compatiblity easier to find new stuff and you can play good games in it in linux no i thinkLinux may be good for who use it to work and go to internet and servers and more stuff like that Windows is windows :o you can do almost everything in it ok the errors it have errors so what nothing is perfect :o

ok the errors it have errors so what nothing is perfect :o

Errors or not errors, that's the question.Linux tries to be error-free, and a lot of people in the open-world work for correcting the errors.
Windows has a lot of errors, and standard users have to cope with it. Yesterday my Windows XP connected easily to my GPS. Today it refuses. Such is life : probably new updates have come and the old things do not work any more. Who cares ? Crosoft does not care.
If I have a windows problem, somebody somewhere could have a look inside the Linux codes and find the solution, just for fun. Nobody will fix a Windows problem if I am the only looser affected by that.