xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kc8yff

Spyware And Adware Removal What software do you use?

Antispywares alone won't be effective. Enabling your firewall, real-time scanning for your antivirus/antispyware/anti-trojan, downloading the latest updates and using programs like Mozilla Firefox would be best. If you insist on using IE, I suggest you disable ActiveX controls or get an IE shell like Maxthon. You can also try using SpywareBlaster to immunize your computer against unwanted programs and a registry monitoring tool like Prevx Home or Spybot - Search & Destroy's built-in TeaTimer, if I'm not wrong.

And remember to check if your antivirus has only viruses, trojans and spywares in its database. Some AV vendors only consider viruses as a threat and their antivirus will only do just that so get an anti-trojan/antispyware if that's the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's right man :D only a spyware search program it's no enough, i've tried for a month with only spybot&search but i had to format my disc....OMG u don't know how many refuses i've founded when i installed anti-virus...

i remember my face when installed the firewall instead....i couldn't believe how many attemps to enter into my pc .... so for me a secure pc must have at least a good anti virus program with a good firewall and a program like spybot&search..

i use ad-aware i find it to be a great spywear/adwear removal program and its FREE so you cant complain about that now can you...unless you wanna upgrade the program so it always watches your comp then it costs alittle mulah :)

I use Adaware, however I don't need to use it very often. I don't seem to get a lot of spyware anymore. These are the other programs I use to keep my computer secure:Anti-virus: AVGFirewall: Zone AlarmBrowser: FirefoxI think those programs do a job good of keeping spyware from ever getting on my computer. I'll go a month or two without running Adaware and then when I do I'll only get around 10 items. In my opinion, the best solution to the problem of spyware is to try and stop it from getting on your computer in the first place.

Antispywares alone won't be effective. Enabling your firewall, real-time scanning for your antivirus/antispyware/anti-trojan, downloading the latest updates and using programs like Mozilla Firefox would be best. If you insist on using IE, I suggest you disable ActiveX controls or get an IE shell like Maxthon. You can also try using SpywareBlaster to immunize your computer against unwanted programs and a registry monitoring tool like Prevx Home or Spybot - Search & Destroy's built-in TeaTimer, if I'm not wrong.

And remember to check if your antivirus has only viruses, trojans and spywares in its database. Some AV vendors only consider viruses as a threat and their antivirus will only do just that so get an anti-trojan/antispyware if that's the case.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What you wrote is just like I did, here is my installed related software list:

Firewall: Sygate personal Firewall PRO

Anti spyware/adware: Ad-Aware SE Pro with activated Ad-Watch protection. Also Spybot Search and Destroy as secondary scanner.

Anti virus: NAV 2004 (I didn't purchase 2005 version)

Browsers: Firefox with tons of extension, including AdBlock (As we know most of adware will be downloaded when visiting advertising and "blacklisted" sites, I use Adblock to prevent my browser load such sites). for some sites that doesn't seem to be friendly with Firefox (I can't load yahoo avatar page, maybe changing browser identification should fix it, but I didn't change its identification to IE), I use Maxthon. It's correct that maxthon uses IE engine, but it can be equipped with "security control plug-in" beside it's own download control option. So I can deactivate ActiveX that is one of the main reason for security leak on browser.

For additional resource about anti-spyware you can visit:

MS AntiSpyware vs Ad-Aware vs SpyBot by Flaxbeta

Microsoft Windows Anti-Spyware (beta) Software Review by pcstats

FirewallGuide's Anti-spyware guide

For spywares I have experience of using following FREE anti spywares -SpyBot S&DLavasoft Ad-AwareSpyware BlasterMicrosoft AntispywareSpyware DoctorIn these antispywares Spyware Blaster does not scan or removes spyware but it prevents them entering into your computer at the first place. We can say that it acts like a firewall. I would hightly recommend it to anyone who want their system safe from attacks. Now a days I am using only Microsoft Antispyware because I think it is the best of these all althought AdAware is also good one to use. In the recenlty Download.com shootout Adaware was on top of list. But the reason for me to choose Microsoft AntiSpyware against Adawere is real time scaning which is not available in the later.

I would agree... common sense really is the best anti-virus. However, having 3 girls, not to mention a better half here in my home using the computer... homework, research, games, AOL (Gasp... just can't get my better half away from that piece of work... geeeeeeeeeeeesh), having some added protection BESIDES me sitting there watching over their shoulders was needed. *grinz*