xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ffx2net

Ways To Improve Your Performance In Windows XP

Then change the directory of your Temporary Internet Files and put it into the ramdisk. (In Internet Explorer: Extras-Options-TempFiles-Settings-Move Folder). From now on when accessing the temporary files no harddisk action is necessary, so surfing the web turns faster!

That's probably a good idea for people who keep their machines running weeks at a time, but for people who reboot (or who log off, if the ramdisk isn't running as a service) every day or two, surfing could easily end up being slower, since every time they reboot or log off all of the cache will be lost.

hmmmm , good tips. i tried TuneXP but instead of making my sistem faster, it made it slower. Damn. Now my machine is freakin slow. My best answer to keep windows based machine faster is to reformat it every few mths. that way your machine will be fast. thoose tune/tweak apps doesnt help much.

There are some software that called XPTuner, you can change every controle and with Winspeed Up program, your browser, your XP and your computer gets speed.They are very cheap but you can use them as trialware, after 30 days or 15 times (for XPTuner) it is enough for you till you format it.

I can say some more tips for you windows users: if your drive is formated as NTFS and you do not use the search often on your system you can go to "My Computer" or whatever you call it and press left mouse button on the partition (c: d: e:) and remove the feature "Allow indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" and you'll get extra performance..

Another thing you can do, turn off the default sounds by windows, you can do it by going to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices choose the tab Sounds and change the sound scheme to No Sounds, I don't think it is needed at all.

I personally bought 1 GB of DDR recently and just turned of my page file, I mean virtual memory and it increased the performance a lot, especially when you're using a lot of application at once.. virtual memory is really slow.

As said above turn off/disable the services you do not need, I remember I search for google which are recommended to turn off and to leave, they keywords for tweaking windows xp.. you can find lots of tutorials about this issue.

To edit your startup, you can go to Start -> Run and execute myconfig and do it manually, but be careful and don't do stupid things :D

Also there is a good software available, it is called TweakXP, more about it here: http://tweaks.com/

Good Luck everyone, tweaking windows even might be fun :D

I don't ever have to do any of this with my computers.....they all run fine, for months, even years at a time. Oh yeah....you just don't have those problems unless you're using Windows *grins*

This is not necessarily true. You're probably saying this because the most part of windows user are morons and/or haven't any technical knowledge. I managed to run Windows OSes in my computers since I got my 1st computer. I used to format only when upgrading my system or changing the OS, and even then making backup of most of the old data. This means I had files prior to 94, and still my old slow computer always used to run even faster than better computers from my friends. It's a matter of maintenance and general knowledge. My only real 'format' was some weeks ago when my HD got screwed with a sudden computer power down (this really sucked), but it was a hardware issue, and not software. It happens that usually people who use other OSes than Windows (mainly open-source ones) do have more knowledge, and know better their own systems, therefore making they run loose and clean. Put a stupid guy using Linux, with an instant messenger, a browser and a P2P program for 3 months and see how fast will it be running. Other thing to take into consideration is that while usually open-source OSes come with most of its features/programs disabled by default, leaving you to choose what to add and whatnot, Windows comes with tons of features on by default, even those used by 0,0023% of its users. This makes a big difference as well on how fast will they be, since average users most likely won't deactivate those they don't use.
Sorry for the lack of text formatting, but I'm quite lazy right now to do it. =p