xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
givn1405241478

Windows Code Name Longhorn(lh)

ask MS windows users what the difference between windows 98, windows 2K and windows XP is...the vast majority of users are just the home users who know nothing about computers, as far as they know, the only difference is differentt shades of blue, and prettyer interfaces.Here's a great idea for MS....make the GUI modular, and seperable from the OS.then, to keep the home users happy, all they have to do is continue wioth the service packs and updates... then every 6 months, relase a new GUI.

Thats a brilliant idea qwijibow - if MS really would split out the GUI from the kernel and concentrate more on developing a rock solid & much more stabler kernel - imagine what could that achieve !! As for the MS GUI - I don't have any complaints whatsoever - but if the core of the OS is so buggy - what good will having an excellent GUI do ?? Moreover, for some reason MS just cannot get rid of it's memory leakage problems, which leads to such bad uptimes and frequent reboots for windows based systems. If someone could knock some sense into MS - people wouldn't think of shifting over to some other platform & still be using their fav. "OS"!! Imagine how peaceful a world we'll live in without having to engage ourselves in this endless debate about the best OS to use....;)

my PC ( Windows XP SP2 ) stays online downloading stuff ( ADSL 512 ) for over 3 -4 days in a row .. no reboots ? not even a single error message .... running multiple stuff ... but that's just me ...

i think sp2 is soo good and i use it but my pc is PIII soo i cant use it but i try it one day i soo all of it from movie maker2 to microsoft firewall and it ie is soo good i think that it is better than longhorn if the longhorn got what in sp2 it will be soo beautfull lol the os will change to Best

my PC ( Windows XP SP2 ) stays online downloading stuff ( ADSL 512 ) for over 3 -4 days in a row .. no reboots ? not even a single error message .... running multiple stuff ... but that's just me ...

wow !
thats really bad !

BSD and Linux server uptimes generally average around 5 years. and even thn they are only shutdown because of powercuts, hardware and kernel upgrades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry cryptonx can't help but laugh at those statistics. I knew of a dedicated mailserver (that's probably still running) at one of these universities back home - I'm talking about 6 years back. It was a measly Pentium Pro system running on one of the relatively earlier versions of Linux. It boasted an uptime of 3 years at that time, and when I revisited a few years back it was still up without a single reboot - which made it a total of 5 years I think. It was so dedicated to it's work, that the admin pulled out the monitor and keyboard and let it just lie in one corner of the room and carry on its work without any disturbance ;) Well, thats whats called REAL UPTIME ....

But then it gonna break sometime, something will give way, something will break. Its the same with everything it can do well for ages but then it will eventually break, I tried that with a stereo before they eventually do break and if it does then there may be big scale mail loss. But then maybe it will last another double its life.