xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chris1234

Why Have A Forum?

My question is not really that, actually what i am trying to ask is that it obviously costs money to have all the servers, bandwidth, software and staff (maybe if they get paid, i dont know?), who pays for it al?? why do they want to ? I think its great that they do cos we can have a forum, free help, hosting and stuff, but i wouldnt want to be the ones providing the service!!Imagine all the questions and problems you get!! Do the few small ads on this site pay for it all?Is the profit in the long run through advertising when you have 10s of thousands of visitors? there was some mention of each hosted site costing $30 per year, that is quite a bit, an actuary would value that $30 per year at a 5% net compund making its revenue stream $600.chris

OK, didn't anyone tell you... OpaQue is Bill Gates in disguise... ;)

Just kidding. there are some explanations here:

http://forums.xisto.com/intro.php and

here http://forums.xisto.com/faq.php

They also run a paid hosting company http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Trap 17 is another free host where the users have different criteria to get hosting than here. http://forums.xisto.com/index.php

If I understand it correctly advertizing pay for the hosting space we use. The exposure Xisto and affiliate companies receive from the quality posts here increases the revenue base and create income. So we using this service in a professional manner will help boost the user base. This will again increase the revenue base and thus (hopefullly) increase the revenue. What better way to get positive exposure than from professional users posting and contributing.

This is my personal opinion since I do not have anything to do with the corporate side of the business.

It's "FREE HOSTING" paid for by your and others post contribution. So instead of paying in $ you pay in effort and quality post.

Nils

OK, didn't anyone tell you... OpaQue is Bill Gates in disguise... :D

It's "FREE HOSTING" paid for by your and others post contribution. So instead of paying in $ you pay in effort and quality post.

Nils

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O...k.... If OpaQue is Bill Gates in disguise, then why are the servers running Linux ;) (or at least that's what my cPanel reads LOL)... (I would die laughing, if the Microsoft servers would be running Linux :P)

I don't know about other global mods, regular mods or admins other then OpaQue, but I don't get paid to be here, I am here as Global Mod, because I like it. I think it's fun, at least I have fun here. I am learning new things every day, I meet nice new people, I have excellent free hosting. All I have to do for all this, is post on a regular bases and read posts, see if they violate the TOS etc? Good deal if you ask me. I can have fun, learn things AND be hosted in return for posting *DECENT* posts?! Yep, I think we got a very good deal here :D

O...k.... If OpaQue is Bill Gates in disguise, then why are the servers running Linux :D (or at least that's what my cPanel reads LOL)... (I would die laughing, if the Microsoft servers would be running Linux ;))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There for a while, before they started hosting their own site, they were apache servers running on Redhat Linux :D Very few people know that.

I don't know about other global mods, regular mods or admins other then OpaQue, but I don't get paid to be here, I am here as Global Mod, because I like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not getting paid cash, but I have fun here. Chris1234, give it a little while. When I first joined, I found it hard to really post anything meaningful, but as I began hanging around, things became a lot better, and my posts began getting longer and longer. Things around here can get really funny, and if you give it time, then it will all be wavy. ::Crosses Fingers:: Trust Me ::UnCrosses Fingers:: J/K

-William

Let me answer your questions.--> The other free web hosting sites usually aim for traffic and hence they earn advertising revenue by ads. They make people <- snipped -> and then gain revenue to keep the site up. However, these niche web hosting companies don't stay for long and shut down as soon as their pay-per-click payment provider finds that they are cheating. Else, if they are not, they usually dont perform well. Members get used to the ads and after some time they stop clicking. We dont follow such malpractices.Second, Xisto Corporation has lots of contacts and agreements with other sites. And since we are now a part of an organisation, Our members will not have any questions regarding reliability.Our primary source of income is our Paid Hosting and othe misc. services. So even if we stop delivering ads, we will still be able to run the sites and fund the servers. There are many sites which are our affiliates. Many of them put our ads on their sites. Xisto.com lists some of the major partners on its site, there are more to the list.If your site gets more than 5000 page impressions per day and would like to join Xisto Corporation, Drop a mail to applications_at_xisto_dot_com. We pay for your hosting, marketting, domain and other misc. expenses that you may have. In return, we will place a 728x90 banner on your site.Trap17 delievers around 1,00,000 Ads daily. Out of which around 40,000 ad impressions are contributed by Xisto and Xisto.*Even though being a forum site we get very low payout due to repeating visitors, we are patching up with many advertising networks simultaneously to get sufficient Payouts*There are many members who have shifted to Paid Web Hosting after being satisfied with our services. We get free marketting for our network. It was our strategy to grow big and hit the Internet market. All these sites help us to setup and introduce new services quickly.So please be assured that we are not niche companies who come up for 1-2 months and shut down.}

Ive been here from the start and loved every day, this host is as stable as they get, on my forums I actually comment on why I would rather not move to a paid host because of Asta and its greatness.

Oh... I would like to make a suggestion... I hate that "Do bulky storage set off an avalanche in your kitchen? Is finding the lid almost IMPOSSIBLE?" (Yeah, I've heard it so much that I remember the WHOLE thing... :D ) commercial. The paparazzi one with the camera sound and the fly one with the buzzing sound are annoying too. So, can we please not have those sound ads? Or do they pay a lot?

Well moonwitch...I for one get paid big wads of cash to be a global moderator because of my supreme moderation skills.....LOL I wish....Nah we have these forums here for the reason that opaque stated up ahead...But like..everybody has their own personal reason to own a forum. I have mine just so I can have a active community and make some money on the side through advertisements...All in all having a forum is a simple and easy thing to do considering the major forum codes make it so easy to run a forum you could set it up and then be done with it :DMeh...W.e you do If you are gunna make a forum go with phpbb :D I love them....Their mod installation is horrible though.L8r

Oh... I would like to make a suggestion... I hate that "Do bulky storage set off an avalanche in your kitchen? Is finding the lid almost IMPOSSIBLE?" (Yeah, I've heard it so much that I remember the WHOLE thing... :D ) commercial. The paparazzi one with the camera sound and the fly one with the buzzing sound are annoying too. So, can we please not have those sound ads? Or do they pay a lot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sound ads?? SOUNDS???? What sounds??? LOL I have never heard one... where do I get it?? LOL Sorry, I needed that lil twisted part here ;) Wait till you see the Albert the motard or something ad... with some weird looking alien thing going dedeng deng deng... etc.. (making the sound of a moped) it's listed as THE best ringtone (now, if you put that on MY cell phone, I am trashing the phone LOL) - mine is my sister counting "one...two...three...four...five...voicemail, too late"

And as far as the kitchen ad, you now know what to get huh szupie :D (please don't tell me it's tupperware LOL)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might consider just turning off your speakers when browsing the forums. My speakers are off almost all the time. I usually have a headset plugged in instead.

You might consider just turning off your speakers when browsing the forums. My speakers are off almost all the time. I usually have a headset plugged in instead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do use headsets, but I put them on when I use the computer. I do chatting, which makes a sound when someone says something, so I can reply faster. Also, the storage containers add slows down the loading of the page for about 2 seconds, which freezes my computer. It's only a short time, but it's annoying...