xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Space Orangutan #2

Mac Mini Will it convert Windows users?

Apple MAC Mini

It seems like a good  thing. The basic config. is only $499 and most of the stuf one would add is already in it. But just like a few other macs, it seems very hard to upgrade if not impossible.

Would it's low price bring more people into view of macs or will it not sell much at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theres been talk that they're able to fit in the radio chasis of a car, that should make them very popular with the "pimp my ride" crowd.

The Mac mini is iPod's companion, which crushed all other music players when Apple introduced it in 2001, simply because of its striking looks and a somewhat low price tag to boot when compared to other Macs that Apple has to offer but I bet I can build a budget small-form-factor PC much cheaper than S$928 which of course, will have its own pros and cons. What's so good about the Mac mini is because of its preinstalled Mac OS X and the iLife 05 suite. It's perhaps the best entry level PC you can get from a computer manufacturer since the features Apple has to offer in the mini is something you cannot find in an entry-level Dell which is oftcited as the most affordable PC brand in Singapore.

All in a 1.32kg unit (from what I was told by Athena) that can be overclocked, the Mac mini is the perfect Windows desktop replacement and the big idea behind the Mac mini is that small budgets are not synonymous with small performance. If only Apple comes up with a killer gaming rig at this size...I'll rob the bank to get it. :(

I don't think that the mac minis will be much use to the company.Yes they maybe cheaper for the type of computer it is, but they are just not that leading edge.They have less features of a PC of its same price range, and it has extremely less software compatibility. People are being blinded by the new mac mini, as Macs are often considered to be 'stronger' systems.I just hope people wake up and smell the **** before it is too late.

Yes they maybe cheaper for the type of computer it is, but they are just not that leading edge.

Most people don't need leading edge computers. In fact, they haven't needed faster computers for a while for 90% of the things people do, like browse the web, email, chat, typing and data entry, etc. Heck, a guy I know uses an old half as fast imac for dna sequencing stuff. Modern processors are VERY fast really. The only things that needs a lot of power are games. And anyone buying a 500$ computer isn't buying it for gaming.

They have less features of a PC of its same price range, and it has extremely less software compatibility. People are being blinded by the new mac mini, as Macs are often considered to be 'stronger' systems.

Actually, it has a lot more features than a PC in its same price range, if you count the included software(which you should since you are paying for it). As for software compatibility, it is just fine. All the major content creation apps like photoshop and flash run fine. The latest version of office (easily the most important app for most people) is considered by reviewers to be better than its PC counterpart. The only thing you miss are the random small apps that exist in the millions for PC. That is, until you find their counterparts in the mac world. It only seems like they don't have the software because you aren't used to looking for it.

As for being considered the 'stronger' system, from a useability and security standpoint, they are--by leaps and bounds.

I just hope people wake up and smell the **** before it is too late.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too late for what? Having a system that works well and doesn't give you ****?

Apple MAC Mini

It seems like a good  thing. The basic config. is only $499 and most of the stuf one would add is already in it. But just like a few other macs, it seems very hard to upgrade if not impossible.

Would it's low price bring more people into view of macs or will it not sell much at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, people like that kind of stuff: small, nice, good designed, simple, cute... It's just the best approach for selling stuff, and apple know that best. As for the functionality of Mac Mini - it's probably hard to upgrade it probably it's not possible, but you must understand the needs of an average man: they want a computer that they need just to plug into power... and apple gives them just that... :(

I dont think its the fact that its too exspencive. Because pc's are even cheper now. I think its that people will not want to learn a new system. I think the ipod was the best think apple did to convert people to macs. People who love their ipods may concider getting a mac.

Apple MAC Mini

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope that sales in Apple go up because I'm tired of software companies making software that only works on Windows and websites having features only for Windows, et cetera. I use a G3 ibook and genuinely believe that Apples are superior computers because there are less problems with them. The only time I had to bring my computer in was when my dog stepped on my laptop and my "D" key came off while I was evacuating from Hurricane Ivan last year, and that wasn't my computer's fault! :) I think that macs are faster, easier to deal with, and cheaper in the long run (you don't need a lot of repairs).

$499 plus is not that great of a deal these days.  If you have any kind of decent pc then you can upgrade to out perform the mac mini fairly easily.  If it came with a LCD then maybe, but other wise it is just another Compaq computer!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's one of the big drawbacks- there is no monitor! You have to buy a monitor, which will probably cost another $100-$200 or more, depending how much you want to spend on a monitor.

I'm not bashing Apple because I love my ibook (although it's an ancient g3...).

Yeah, if I buy a Mac Mini and I have no monitor, I would WANT to get the apple display because it is so gorgeous and it'll match.But I guess it's the whole flexibility thing? You can go get the Apple display if you want, or you can just use some old beat-up CRT monitor leftover from your last PC (that's their target audience anyway). Though a few weeks with the pretty Mac Mini and the old beat-up monitor you'd probably start to want to buy a new display and keyboard and everything.

I won't be converting to a Mac. I find them more difficult to use than my PC. Maybe that's because I'm used to my PC. I don't like the mouses, in order to right-click, you've got to push CTRL + click. I just dont find it as user-friendly. But overall, I think the Mac Mini is a great idea and it will sell well.

As for me the Mac platform is better. I find the software support better in my field of work. For sound production work, mac wins hands down. I recently purchased a mini mac for our son as we already have most of the software needed. I find the only real issue is the RAM. We had to do an upgrade to 1GB of RAM to get in working at a decent speed. (My son is into DV editing at the moment) For the price it beats windows based PC's. It also is pretty and small. :(

I want one because it looks awsome, but to be realistic will it catch on? i can see a personal use for it but less as a traditional computer. dyth got it right

it'll look SO cool on the coffee table!

so you set it up on your coffee table, it doesnt come with a screen so why not plug it into the tv. you can use it for some simple stuff like email easily but best of all have it in the home network as a kind of media hub. get a tuner for it or whatever and use it insead of a tivo or similar. a stlyish media hub in your living room. would be better however with wireless network and a remote control.

just an idea as to how it could be used but the average family i dont think would got out and buy one to replace a newish [-4 years] computer. a family looking to get a really nice computer to replace an old win98 style thing might be interested but, as has been said before, would want a nice lcd monitor so......

500 dollars is 250 pounds about and for that it is an amazing deal in england. my monitor cost 200. i think apple should look to make a similar product as a stylish ipodders answer to the media pcs that microsoft media center is for. that would be a really good idea i think. anyone agree?

I certainly think its not gonna get a high demand for it....Its kinda like game consoles... Nintendo Cube is basically the new Mac model and the pc's are the xbox's.....Due to high support and usage throughout the world, the xbox (in our case, the pc) is going to still out sell.... Though price is relatively cheaper than pc''s, the limited upgrade capabilities is what people are concern about the most.Especially now, computer advances are going soo fast; once you buy a brand new computer, after a few months it is outdated again.... so having the flexibility to upgrade whatever I need whenever I want is what I prefer.....On a positive note though, these Mac's would be great for schools and government usage. It would save a lot of money for schools to get these than a pc for every student to use... =/Chin chin....

Keep in mind that the Mac Mini is designed and marketed for limited experience end-users (read families that don't actually know what "PC" means). The concept is simple: provide a small simple box that people with no computer experience can just unplug their old computer (leaving their monitor, keyboard, and mouse alone), set the Mac Mini down, plug in their stuff, and press the power button. For most everyone on Xisto, the Mac Mini isn't the right computer. That's why they offer the iMac and PowerMac lines for people like us.