xisto Community
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Hot Debate: Your Views On Gays & Homosexuality ...

So do most of us agree that because of the unpredicatablility of how much genetics is involved, we should just be more tolerant of homosexuality? Again, hate the action, not the people.I don't think theists like accepting that exuse because if it's genetic, then it's God's doing. But then that whole free will thing... a challenge for them to overcome and prove devotion to God? No, that's definately not right... Why, then, would people have those urges (in relation to religion)?

So do most of us agree that because of the unpredicatablility of how much genetics is involved, we should just be more tolerant of homosexuality? Again, hate the action, not the people.

I don't think theists like accepting that exuse because if it's genetic, then it's God's doing. But then that whole free will thing... a challenge for them to overcome and prove devotion to God?  No, that's definately not right... Why, then, would people have those urges (in relation to religion)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well my answer as a buddhist is that there is nothing wrong with it. So, I neither hate the act or the people, so long as the relationship between them is solid and wholesome and free from abuse. In fact, I would like to see greater acceptance, as that would I think lower the abuse levels in the gay culture as well as providing a more welcoming culture so that people being abused don't fear coming out in order to expose it.

Recently in my home state in a near city, an event happened which touches on this topic. A gay man was followed by I think it was 6 men who shouted anti-homosexual phases and slurs, then eventually caught up and beat him. He had to go to the hospital with broken bones and I am sure quite a few bruises. What I would like to say is this: disliking a group of people because of some affiliation instead of how they treat others is unreasoning hate.If you have a problem with homosexuality, please look inside yourself and realize that this is what fills you. Find a way to put out that hate. Please.

So do most of us agree that because of the unpredicatablility of how much genetics is involved, we should just be more tolerant of homosexuality? Again, hate the action, not the people.

I don't think theists like accepting that exuse because if it's genetic, then it's God's doing. But then that whole free will thing... a challenge for them to overcome and prove devotion to God?  No, that's definately not right... Why, then, would people have those urges (in relation to religion)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's just incorrect to be gay though (learned some new stuff), but I don't hate the person that's gay. Maybe we should be more tolerant, maybe we shouldn't. Even though it can be genetics, you can fight it. Tolerance is just something we don't have, if we did, then there wouldn't be any discrimination towards gays, and it wouldn't be on the news.

I woun't lie. I don't like gays... But I think I'm big enought to tolerate them. In most cases homosexuality is genetic illness, so the gay can't do anything about it.

But everyone has it's limits. Yes, I'm talking about gays merriage. I dissagree with it whole 100%. Let's immagine:

Two gays decided to marry each other (I don't know which one will be the bribe and which one will be the groom).They marry.

Next, they decided to have a baby. While it's biologicaly imposible, they decide to adopt a baby! That's absurdity. But what if the gays "got" a baby?

Then the life of the child is unnatural. He (or she) at home sees homosexuality, so the child thinks it's normal, and it's likely candidate to become homosexual too (in this case not genetic illness...). Everywhere problems! Adopted boy or girl will surely feel different from others (it may be discriminated too, and that will happen earlier or sooner, but it surely will), and that is bad.

Such a child's life would be anomalous.

I hope that gays marriage never happens, and I hope that there will never be a single child with homosexual parents. It would be a disaster. It even could call child's suicide.

If you're gay - be a gay silently, and don't try to change nature or request such a absurdity like marriage or children adoption. If you're sick I'm sorry for that. There are people that have much bigger problem than yours.

In most cases homosexuality is illness, maybe even like invalidity. So if an invalid can't walk, then a homosexual CAN'T marry, or even worse: adopt a baby and screw up it's life.

Don't make stupid decissions. Live in peace...

I woun't lie. I don't like gays... But I think I'm big enought to tolerate them. In most cases homosexuality is genetic illness, so the gay can't do anything about it.

Don't refer to people as 'the gay', it is demeaning and dehumanizing. Sort of like saying, 'the black' or 'the spic'.

But everyone has it's limits. Yes, I'm talking about gays merriage. I dissagree with it whole 100%. Let's immagine:
Two gays decided to marry each other (I don't know which one will be the bribe and which one will be the groom).They marry.
Next, they decided to have a baby. While it's biologicaly imposible, they decide to adopt a baby! That's absurdity. But what if the gays "got" a baby?

The answer is that there are either two grooms, or two brides. Its really not hard.

Then the life of the child is unnatural. He (or she) at home sees homosexuality, so the child thinks it's normal, and it's likely candidate to become homosexual too (in this case not genetic illness...). Everywhere problems! Adopted boy or girl will surely feel different from others (it may be discriminated too, and that will happen earlier or sooner, but it surely will), and that is bad.Such a child's life would be anomalous.

This is simply not true. Psychological research on this subject shows no such 'warping' other than the kids not being homophobic. Sexuality is hardwired, so having two fathers will be no worse than being raised in a man-woman family or being raised by a father + uncle or some similar that has happened plenty of people.

I hope that gays marriage never happens, and I hope that there will never be a single child with homosexual parents. It would be a disaster. It even could call child's suicide.

Sorry, too late on both counts. Guess what? Nothing bad happened. No crazy suicides, no warped children, nada. Once again, it is how the child is TREATED by the parents, not the nominal sex or sexuality of the parents that matters.

If you're gay - be a gay silently, and don't try to change nature or request such a absurdity like marriage or children adoption. If you're sick I'm sorry for that. There are people that have much bigger problem than yours.

Why should they be silent? Because you don't like 'their kind'? Too bad. Chances are they don't like 'your kind' either. It is not absurd for them to marry, or adopt kids. And I wonder how you would handle a person having a kid while in a 'straight' relationship and then realizing that they are gay, say after a divorce.

Gay people are not diseased, sick, or crippled. I suggest getting your eyes and heart checked if you can't see that. There might be something wrong...

Its fine, doesn't bother me at all.  Personally I find it strange that homosexuality bothers anyone.  I can understand why certain behaviors associated with homosexuality may be disturbing to some people (such as cross dressing or promiscuity).  However, those are attributes of those individuals, not homosexuality per say, and even those things strike me as no more odd than BDSM/furries/etc which are just as prevelent in the 'straight' community.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK OK... First off.. I approach a lot of things with some basic sarcasm, it's my coping/defense mecanism (don't ask LOL)..

Now, my name is Kay, I am 21 years old and I am bisexual. I have basic knowledge of BDSM/Ds/Gor. That's all the confessions so far. :D My mother is hetero, she is in a loving relationship with some guy I don't like LOL. Does my sexual orientation change me? No. I am who I am. So I am fat, so I have submissive AND dominant streak... Doesn't make me a bad person :D

As far as the "being born gay or not", for as long as I can remember I have been attracted to women, to men as well, but more to women. This doesn't make me lesbian, but bi with a stronger "feel" to women. It does get more complex, if I would tell you all more about MY personal history. All my life (since the age of 4) men treated me like the filth of the road, an object to use and abuse (yes, in just about all possible ways), I feel that this did contribute to my sexual orientation, I grew up naturally distrusting men. So needless to say, I was closer to women. In that aspect, no I wasn't born bi. But I do feel it has some roots in my genetics, the tendencies...

This may seem a stupid comparison, but not everyong likes dark chocolate, some prefer white, some milk. Are you born with those "presets"? Or are you brought up into them?

I also know a few transgenders, does it make those people evil? Heck no, they're the same as you and I, they just happen to have the mind of a woman and the body of a man (or the other way around). Your sexual preferences don't change your ability to love, your ability to do whatever you want.... but it does affect how people see you...

For example, I completely disagree with OpaQue (earlier this thread LOL), but this won't affect how we interact (at least I hope it won't ;)). Or let's say Nils (yeah, everyone knows we're shouting in the box often LOLOL) - will he now see me different? I can only hope he won't.

*Moon gets off her soapbox and passes it to the next* :P

Edit from here

*Moon reads Sadas' post and decides to get back on the soapbox*

I am NOT diseased, not crippled, not disabled (well I am for different reasons LOL look it up - it's called Borderline Personality Disorder.. before people think it's caused by the bisexuality - it's my dad's fault - go kick him LOL).

But everyone has it's limits.

Even someone who's gay/lesbian/bi is a person, not an object. :P

Now, about parenting, adopting children. Like I said, I am bi. I have a sister, she's almost 4. I love her more than the light on my eyes, and I know she loves me as well. It doesn't matter to her, she loves me for me. Not for my choices in life. For a child, a stable, warm loving home is important. There will be more than enough role models from the other sex present in the childs life. Teachers, grandparents, aunts, uncles,...

Now as far as the child seeing and accepting homosexuality as normal and then having loads of problems and getting discriminated. Uhm, that is NOT the fault of gay people, but of those who choose to look at gay/lesbians/bisexuals as abnormal, diseased, sick, etc. Actually, it's the reaction of society on homosexuality that causes some to stay "in the closet" about their sexual preferences, and yes, that can lead to suicide.

Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you.

I am NOT diseased, not crippled, not disabled (well I am for different reasons LOL look it up - it's called Borderline Personality Disorder.. before people think it's caused by the bisexuality - it's my dad's fault - go kick him LOL).

If only we could educate people.

Uhm, that is NOT the fault of gay people, but of those who choose to look at gay/lesbians/bisexuals as abnormal, diseased, sick, etc. Actually, it's the reaction of society on homosexuality that causes some to stay "in the closet" about their sexual preferences, and yes, that can lead to suicide.

Hmm, come to think of it, it's partly the gays fault (I'm contradicting myself here). Why? Because they have to go and shove their gay referencesin the public's faces everywhere, and it spreads, like a disease (which is one reason why people say that gays are diseased, even though they aren't). And, how could they be 'in the closet', if they are all on the news 24/7, on the radio, on billboards, on the internet. It's because they are 'out of the closet', and running around saying, "I'M GAY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH" ( exaggerated) . Which is why everyones reacting :

Because they have to go and shove their gayreferences in the public's faces

If they'd been more quieter about the whole matter, maybe there wouldn't be so much controversy.

If they'd been more quieter about the whole matter, maybe there wouldn't be so much controversy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The thing is, this is what the media chooses to show. Not because the media has a left or right bias, but because this sort of screaming and yelling causes more people to watch the media, which means they make more money.

Most people who are gay are very quiet about it. Just like most muslims are nice people. However, it only takes a few loud ones to make things difficult.

Also, don't forget the cycle feeds itself. The more angrily people who dislike gay people yell and scream and make noise, the more the gay population feels they need to defend themselves and not back down(perhaps rightly). However, this causes the angry ones to become even more upset, and the cycle continues.

The only way to have it end is for the groups to act more hospitable. Indeed, the more the 'gay population' acts with dignity and grace, the more they put the lie to the angry and hateful words of those who despise them.

Hmm, come to think of it, it's partly the gays fault (I'm contradicting myself here). Why? Because they have to go and shove their gay referencesin the public's faces everywhere, and it spreads, like a disease (which is one reason why people say that gays are diseased, even though they aren't). And, how could they be 'in the closet', if they are all on the news 24/7, on the radio, on billboards, on the internet. It's because they are 'out of the closet', and running around saying, "I'M GAY BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH" ( exaggerated) . Which is why everyones reacting :

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, this is the most open I've been about it :D haven't gone off to the media. The "in the closet" refers to people who haven't outed themselves, as in told their family, friends about their orientation. That is how you can still be "in the closet" even though the media chooses to report about being gay. It's not a choice I've made, for all I care, the media can shut up about it. LOL. Also, I have spoken up about my preferences, but I only replied to the thread, (heck, who wouldn't have LOL) I didn't create the thread...

Maybe I'll come back to answer or reply, but am going to bed. Took my meds (coughing medication and painkillers because I am coughing my lungs out, the coughing causes headache.. there :D)

Sorry if someone was hurt, but everyone has an opinion. And it's really hard to discuss such an important and difficult themes in foreign language (I speak lithuanian...). Really difficult :D But interesting too.

I don't think that homosexuals are diseased, crippled or disabled.

moonwitch, I'm sorry about your hard childhood.

But everyone has it's limits.

Even someone who's gay/lesbian/bi is a person, not an object. :D
And I'm sorry for this, it's my mistake. Every human is a person. I'll try to say my minds in other words:

Everything has it's limits and everybody has to know it.

Now better? ;)

Sorry if someone was hurt, but everyone has an opinion. And it's really hard to discuss such an important and difficult themes in foreign language (I speak lithuanian...). Really difficult :D

moonwitch, I'm sorry about your hard childhood.

Everything has it's limits and everybody has to know it.

Now better? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am Dutch/Flemish, so I am discussing this in a forgeign language too ;) So yep, I agree that IS hard to do. You know what you wanna say but the words don't come out the way you want them to. :P I know.

About my childhood, there's nothing to be sorry about. In a weird way, if it hadn't happened, I wouldn't have been the person I am today. Maybe I wouldn't be bi, I don't know. But I know I would be very different, I wouldn't have met some of my best friends online.

And yep it's better :P

Sadas, you didn't hurt my feelings, a debate can be a good way to look within myself ;) I am cool, I hope you are too :P I can be pretty attacking with words at times ...

My bigest problem is people who say that they can TOLERATE homosexuals. Personally I'd rather be hated than tollerated. Tollerance it a terrible thing, it teaches us that we can let people be, but they are not wotrthy of being accepted or rejected. what we need is not tollerance, it is Acceptance.

a debate can be a good way to look within myself

Debate is good thing in every case ;) Debate can change opinions, can make friends. It can make enemys too. But I like to discuss with people, becouse I can solve my and others problems.

I am cool, I hope you are too :P I can be pretty attacking with words at times ...

You are hoping right :D I'm cool too. It's not easy to make me angry, or to hurt me. And if it ever happens, I try to never show my anger.

Attacking with words is a part of a good debate, so it's not a problem (the problem is that these words is in english, not my language :D ).

Living and learning from my mistakes and other people clever words...