xisto Community
l337 Nurse Pedestrian

Hot Debate: Your Views On Gays & Homosexuality ...

You are not gonna be born gay.  One main reason is because  you don't know what a boy is when you are first born.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, you do. But at birth is sort of irrelevant, as all of these things only come up during puberty. In any case, the human brain is wired to recognize the two sexes as different. You can be born gay, or at least be born with genetics that make future homosexuality very likely.

As someone said, yes, I think we should just recognize the love and honor it. Good relationships are good relationships.

No, that's false because it's basically YOUR personal choice. If homosexual genes is true, you could predict the future. Because genes don't prove if you are homosexual. It's your 'opinion'. And yeah a lot of it deals with the type of people you hang out with. Usually when it comes to genes, it's your physical appearence and/or talents, and likes. Not if you have an interest in the same sex.

No, that's false because it's basically YOUR personal choice.  If homosexual genes is  true, you could predict the future. Because genes don't prove if you are homosexual. It's your 'opinion'. And yeah a lot of it deals with the type of people you hang out with.  Usually when it comes to genes, it's your physical appearence and/or talents, and likes. Not if you have an interest in the same sex.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Genes affect physical appearance, intelligence, emotional traits, and just about everthing else. Also there is not a 'homosexual gene'. It is clear that multiple genes are involved, as well as some degree of environmental influence (which is why there is a continuum of homosexuality, not just on/off). For males the 'on/off' modes are more destinct, but the continuum still exists, which is why there are bisexual males. As for homosexuality, identical twins, even raised apart, are still usually bout hetero or both homosexual, which shows that there IS a genetic component. As for the rest, the environmental factors, that is pretty clearly not a conscious choice on anyone's part.

For a similar thing, consider intelligence. Intelligence is GREATLY influenced by many genes(there is no single smart/stupid gene). However, exposure to intellectually stimulating and varied experiences during early childhood increases final overall intelligence. Intelligence is influenced by genes, as well as by environment, but is clearly not a conscious choice (or else we would all be 'Einstiens').

Now, if you don't think genes have anything to do with intelligence, then we have nothing more to say to each other, except that I think you need to go take a basic biology/genetics course.

If, on the other hand, you DO think genes have something to do with intelligence, then you should realize that homosexuality can and does work the same way.

Now, if you don't think genes have anything to do with intelligence

Of course it does.... (and I did say usually).
Anywho, it doesn't work the same way. If genes can pick if your gay or not, then they own your life, which it doesn't. You have total control of your life. Your actions are based on the enviroment (when it comes down to things like love and sex).

Of course some inherited traits can INFLUENCE you becoming homosexual. That doesn't mean you are born gay. Simply because when you are first born you aren't educated, and know pretty much nothing(as far as knowing about love). So basically it's a 'what you don't know wont hurt you' type of thing.

Of course it does....  (and I did say usually).

Anywho, it doesn't work the same way.  If genes can pick if your gay or not, then they own your life, which it doesn't. You have total control of your life. Your actions are based on the enviroment (when it comes down to things like love and sex). 

Of course some inherited traits can INFLUENCE you becoming homosexual. That doesn't mean you are born gay.  Simply because when you are first born you aren't educated, and know pretty much nothing(as far as knowing about love). So basically it's a 'what you don't know wont hurt you' type of thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it works EXACTLY the same way. Genes determing whether one is gay or not, is not 'owning your life', simply who one wants to have sex/long term cohabitation with.

You have total control of your life? No, you have some control of your life. You don't get to choose whether or not you are a girl or boy, black/white/native american/asian, your hair or eye color.

So, question to you: If someone cannot be born gay, does that mean that everyone to you is born heterosexual? Or is it that one is born androgenous, with no tendency towards one sex?

In any case, show me a shred of evidence that you are correct.

You have total control of your life? No, you have some control of your life. You don't get to choose whether or not you are a girl or boy, black/white/native american/asian, your hair or eye color.

I must of worded that wrong. Sorry, my bad. I actually meant your actions
And yes because gay is "Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex."

how can you do that when you don't know what a boy is? And by time you do, and start living your life. It's totally up to you if you are gonna become gay.

Just for refernce: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/homosexual

how can you do that when you don't know what a boy is? And by time you do, and start living your life. It's totally up to you if you are gonna become gay.

Just for refernce: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/homosexual

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AH, but you DO know what a boy is. Humans distinguish sex differences at an increadibly early age. That sort of discrimination is built in.

Yeah maybe, but not when you are first born. You can't even talk yet or think with meaning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not about thinking or talking. Its a built in ability to recognize gender differences. It is totally innate/non conscious.

Later, this will be used for both sexuality as well as mimicing behavior of your gender from role models (usually parents, but it is whoever is around). Interestingly, children model very subtle differences between sexes. Specifically, they key in on the things men and women that they have available as models do differently. I don't mean the big stuff we think of societally, I mean stuff like if the father sighs a lot when the mother/female role doesn't, male children will mimic. Granted, this is just interesting, and doesn't have a tremendous amount to do with the topic at hand. Still cool though.

I must agree with MTF here, but there is no real way for us to say, when I was X years old I didn't know the difference. Its really the old nature vs. nurture delima, would you turn out the same way if you were raised differently? For a personal example, my best friend from higschool is gay. They were raised in a very harsh inviroment,m one where their sexuality would be a real threat to their wellbeing, yet they still are gay. Does this prove or disprove the theory that enviroment effects how you turn out? I don't know, but i think that the enviroment only lead to their keeping this a secret from their family, even now after about 4 years of knowing.

keeping it a secret? Why would you say that when it's on the news all the time?
I'm still not convinced, I think being gay is something you obtain.

as well as mimicing behavior of your gender from role model

So you're saying it's because their mother and father is homosexual? I don't think so.

keeping it a secret? Why would you say that when it's on the news all the time?

I'm still not convinced, I think being gay is something you obtain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was this directed towards my last post? If so what television have to do with my friend? They are in a dangerous enviroment, and they don't have anyway to go about telling their family safely.

So you're saying it's because their mother and father is homosexual? I don't think so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NO. I said that as an aside. I even made that clear. The ability for the human to recognize gender differences is used in many ways. That was noted as just a nifty thing that it is used for.

The relevant piece, for the 'gay' discussion, is that humans recognize differences between genders automaticallly. It is not a conscious process to do this. The rest was just random niftyness about this, not directly relevant to the discussion, as I noted in my post.

Oh. So personally, what do you think about homosexuality?

Good or Bad?

Right or wrong?

Like I mentioned before, I don't think there's anything wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its fine, doesn't bother me at all. Personally I find it strange that homosexuality bothers anyone. I can understand why certain behaviors associated with homosexuality may be disturbing to some people (such as cross dressing or promiscuity). However, those are attributes of those individuals, not homosexuality per say, and even those things strike me as no more odd than BDSM/furries/etc which are just as prevelent in the 'straight' community.

And for those who find homosexuality a threat to 'normal relationships', I laugh. Of the people I know the two most committed to their relationships, and in the best/longest/most loving relationships are gay.