xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
liquidsparxx

What's The Difference Between Linux And Unix?!?

actually.. if iam not wrong.. linux was made my linus trovaldos.. or something.. spelling is wrongand unix.. dont know.. but they are from different people.ut many similarities.. in the commands!!

Linux is a kernal, unix is a type of OS. Unix is a registered name so Linux cannot be described as a Unix OS however you will here linux described as a Unix like system. One thing to bear in mind is that Linux is NOT an OS it is just the kernal the GNU (recursive acronym for GNU's Not Unix) is what people often confuse as being 'Linux' this is however the command line and tools that interact with the Linux Kernal.

A Linux OS is called a distrobution and will include both the Linux Kernal and The GNU tools as well.

Interesting Links:

https://www.kernel.org/

http://www.gnu.org/

Also, an interesting point to add. Unlike Unix, Linux isnt made by any company or single group of people.Linus started the Linux Kernel, and ultimatly has the end say in what happens to Linux, however it is programmed by a global network of people who simply code for the fun of it. (Hackers)so yes... Linux is just a kernel. A kernel is the first thing loaded when you boot, it controll's all hardware, and contains all of your drivers.GNU is software, Like the C, C++, Assembly and other compilers, also libraries, and other base things that run on top of the kernel.Then, there is software like X.org, the display server. X clients like KDE (one of the many available desktop environmetns for Linux)Linux and Unix share many similarities... For example, KDE, the graphical user environment will compile and run on both Linux, and UNIX. so some Modules of Linux, can infact be the same as Unix.What you guys Class FreeBSD / OpenBSD / NetBSD as ? they are more Unix like that Linux, but they dont class as Unix do they ?As for Unix itself... i dont think unix *IS* an operating system anymore... more of a class of OS's like IBS's Unix and Sun's Solaris is also Unix right ?

The BSD's again run a different kernal and have a very different structure of workings than Linux, however they can not be called UNIX as Unix is a tradename it cost huge sums of money to describe and OS as unix. Therefore for OSS projects this is just not feasable.This is quite ironic since Unix itself was started as a project in the 60's at Berkley (is this MIT i don't know) with AT&T and was always supposed to be open. When unix became a tradename that project turned into BSD which means Bearkly Service Distrobution.

well, here i would say something clear enough....Unix was made by some company (dont remember) and it was not open...U wont get source..Latter Unix bought by SCO company.. even now they have..Andrew Tenenbaum he was a professor and teaching Operating system and concepts but he was not able to give any examples.. So he develped his own OS called Minix.. It is open but not freeRichard Stallmen (father of open source) want to give a free Operating system.. So started GNU/Hurd project..even he itself says writting a kernel code is hard and difficult to debug so he started spporting tools like emacs, gcc and many more..That time Linux Torvalds was doing his college project.. he is good enough in assemply and little C that time ( i mean before having idea of Linux).. So slowly he wrote a file system and other things...Both Minix and Linux taken the idea from Unix not the source... like everything will be handled like a file...after realeasing the linux offcial version(1.o or latter dont remember) BSD OS came..many ppl like it then linux they want to go to that... but they dont update ur patches like what linux does..If u find really something needed for linux write your own patch submit to liunx. Linus will upgrade it and release in next version..But this is not the case of BSD they dont accept patch so it was failed.... so latter Linus inself was not so much interested to get GPL License for his kernel but he put another condition no one should use Linux in any money related issues... so even the disk seller faced problems..so finally linux incorporated GPL for Linux and it is called GNU/Linux...The Richard Stallemn want to rename it like LIGNUX but no one likes it ... that is different story....well i thing this is enough........some interesting things are there i will tell u latter........ or in separe thread.....

well, here i would say something clear enough....
Unix was made by some company (dont remember) and it was not open...

I think it was originally developed by AT&T (yes the phone company) and then at some point I think was sold to Novell and then Novell sold it to SCO.

And to this day, I don't think that UNIX is free but you can purchase the source code as well.

[N]F

And to this day, I don't think that UNIX is free but you can purchase the source code as well.

I'm yet to see my first Unix operated comp. I've seen GNU/Linux, Solaris and BSD, but not a single system running plain old-fashioned Unix in my univ.

Great discussion going on here. Lots of things that I didn't know :D.

actually the Japanese Earthquake Centre uses Solaris to power their workstations. Solaris still uses the old UNIX standards, System-V. Not only does it support the old UNIX standards, but it also support the newer one, POSIX which Linux, BSD and other UNICES are all compatible with.xboxrulz

difference between unix and linux

What's The Difference Between Linux And Unix?!?

I want to know the basic and major difference between unix and linux in detail

-Devesh

Unix is popular operating system, developed by AT&T. It is not an open source. But Linux is an open source operating system. So users can modify the kernel and other things to their own desires. Ex:Redhat, Fedora, Susee, Mandrake . . . are some available linux operating systems Unix is the foundation for a number of operating systems, Linux is one of them, and probably the most popular.

Well, in addition, I can quote a little part from the README file from the official Linux kernel:

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance.

And as it was said, Linux is just a kernel, the distribution includes everything else, GUI and stuff.. and Linux can run on an x86 architecture, the old unix as I know requires a mainframe..

For example, were was Unix like systems and DOS like systems, from them we have one of the most popular unix based system Linux and from DOS we have Windows, even though Windows weren't an OS till NT, it was considered a DOS with a GUI till Windows 2000 appeared.. of course we also had different architectures operating systems like Amiga OS and Risc OS, even though they are still used, but not as much as other mentioned above, somewhere I would need to include Apple too, but I never read to much about the past of Macintosh.

A more simple question would be what is the difference between DOS and Linux, it would be easier to answer ^_^
Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Also, a point to add here is that UNIX is the next common base for operating systems after Windows NT. MacOS X, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Xenix and a whole lot more!) Linux is just a clone of UNIX, but contains 0 UNIX kernel code.xboxrulz

Replying to pixelsmackMach is a kernel. All Linux and Unix have a kernel and protective layers wrapped around it. All have a tool set. Both Linux and Unix are operating systems. The major Unix release types included Posix, BSD, System III, and System V. It was designed at universities funded by grants from the Department of Defense (DOD) to create an omni centralized missile defense operating system and internet. Linus stole the design of Unix and all its commands slightly different, and then renamed it egomaniacally after himself. Minux did the same way before Linus came along. Just like its predecessor, it has '1000 flavors of vanilla'. RedHat is a commercialized release of Linux just as Solaris was of Unix. Incidentally, Solaris topped AIX (Unix from IBM), HP-UX (Unix from Hewlett-Packard). The Tektronix version included BSD and SYSV command sets, as do most releases now. You can find more than one of the same tool on many releases that each behave and take options differently (e.G., "ps -aux" and "ps -edalf").Best wishes,Chris graySr. Sw engineer (a dinosaur predating the WWW and GUIs)