xisto Community
jwcgator

Possibility Of A Google Os ?

Would you buy a Google OS?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For such a thing to happen you'd need ultra-high bandwidth links at every home-user end, prolly direct fibre-optic links. Else you'd wait forever for the net based app to download and execute. While this might very well be the case in future - I don't think its economically and infrastructure-wise feasible at this point.

In a Magazine i brought sometime last year , it showed what a Google PC would look like . They look like mac's but the sever version looks like a PC with holes drilled in it ! :( If i find the picture ill upload it ! :(

The people at google are smart! They could easily make an OS!They would make it so that viruses could not infect it or the files!!!
But It would be compatible with todays software and games!!!
Yay Or Nay?

I think i would buy the OS by goggle just for fun.

I don't get the point of 'Online OS'. Well, Google has already launched G-Drive which lets you store your files online. Now its trying to make you store your OS online!

I mean, what does Google get by stealing our hard drives? Is it that Segate is Google's personal rival?!! Why store all our data on Google's Servers when we have a 120 GB HDD empty on localhost!

Internet and all is fine, there will be just ONE copy of the Google OS in the world - on their servers, but is it worth all the bandwidth? There's no point in downloading the system drivers each time you need them! Next time Google has a brainwave, I think they'll steal everything, and we'll be left only with our Modem!

Google would be able to see what we get upto ! But then you would probably get everything Google free . Just think free google earth pro , but then theres one problem. Like mac's and Linux , some Windows Kernal progrmas would not be able to run on it , Unless it used the windows kernal , or Wine or something like that

I agree with MajesticFrog on that. What is needed is an Open Source OS that has the look and feel of Windows (but without falling into copyright traps), that way, most people would not be bothered with making the switchover. Linux seems to have promise and I expect that in the next 15 years, it should catch up enough with non-nerds to make it a reasonable competitor for MS Windows.

I actually gave Linux (Redhat 9) a shot for about a year on my personal Laptop. After getting through the initial furies of installing any new application (which is a bit of a process in itself) the going was pretty easy. The one and only downside were the broad specrum of applications available on the Widows platform - which were not (even comparable apps) available for Linux. this unfortunately drove me right back to Windows. I'm wholly in support of freeware, especially those developed by amatures & professionals just for the point of making supremely effecient products. I guess I may have to wait a while before attempting to switch completely over to Linux (or I can afford another computer to complment my present one).

A Google OS that is free (I most certainly would not venture to purchase one unless it is massively cheap), and encompasses the positives of Linux, Windows & Mac - or be truely indpendent of these while being totally efficient - would actually be the trimming to the cake - as far as computing is concerned. I can actually percieve what such a scenario would b like - where you load a basic package (of the OS) from a floppy/ CD onto your drive - it automatically connects to a host that lets it download the entire Google OS through P2P (like a lot of other Linux distros are available through). It then provides a menu of every concievable application type pvailable and you just need to select the types/ ones you require and - again a download procedure that automatically configures the software. Free ofcost - efficient - automatically updated without leeching private information and secure.

google os ..uhh i dont think we need another ...Just think about this .. example:2008 Goodle OS release makes 10.000.000 cd sold in 1st 6months of seeling cause 5USD per cd is soo cheap =)2009 Ebay.com and jahoo.com are starting works for new OS;s Ebayer 2010 and jahoodows XXXP ...=) They shoud better thing about makes ubgrades for existing OS's

Edited by zomowiec (see edit history)

google OS? that would be cool. if they do come out with one i bet it would be easier than windows and it would be a very popular. google is coming up with so much stuff i wouldn't be surprised if they do come out with an Os

yea, why not a google os, i dont think it would be easier than windows, but i think that they might make it as easy as windows :D cuz windows is easy enough. google has offerred alot of free software, if it made an OS maybe it would be free, too ;) .

yea, why not a google os, i dont think it would be easier than windows, but i think that they might make it as easy as windows :D cuz windows is easy enough. google has offerred alot of free software, if it made an OS maybe it would be free, too ;) .

when it comes to OS.. i dont prefer easy operation.. I aim for functionality..
what an easy OS do if all you need is already there presented to you in all
colors.

In a few weeks if you play around with your system, you will surely hit a
big black wall where you want to do something and it was really easy to do,
the OS have GUI system to do the job for you but the one you need is not
in the pre-fab GUI world.

---

I prefer moderate operation OS with high functionality.. and a configuration
system that wont make it hard to configure.. [ex. Fedora core, hard configuration]

---

I dont mind to pay the OS if the upgrades are free..

That would be awesmoe. If google made an OS, it would just be the bomb. Better than windows or mac. By far. I wonder how much it would cost? Lots probably. Google could get rich. It is indeed a great idea for google to make an OS

• What would be the motivation to switch to it? Linux people might not change (if it cost anything) because they like free stuff. Mac users just like Mac OS. And windows people just follow the crowd. (sorry for the over-generalizations, just trying to make a point.)

You know, it sounds funny, but it is SOOOO true.
Sadly, i'm with the windows crowd :<

I might use it if it was offered free and open-source. There are talks of an OS called Gubunto, a mixture of Ubuntu Linux and Google's own particular style. I like the idea, but right now Google has enough to worry about. Google is the king of AJAX, web services, and advertising, so I would only expect them to offer a Google OS as a side-project. They won't make anything that is too terribly competitive.Google has a close relationship with Apple, so if Google does enter the OS arena, I could see them partner with Apple. Google won't enter the OS anytime soon, as their current mission is to organize the world's information, not take over the world. Don't worry, Microsoft is safe, for now.

OS is the same for H/W as air is to us, and by centuries is free. All OS's in future will be free, otherwise we are being asked to pay for what we breath.

similarly All communication will go free, since that I consider as the water.

So for me, there is a no no for all paid, closed source products, even if down the road we need to invent an OS.

The OS field should see a lot of new ideas in the coming days. I read a recent article by Rob Pike ( I presume some of you know him, if not read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pike ) (the article is here http://herpolhode.com/rob/utah2000.pdf).. which states, the bad approach in research of Operating Systems.

Time and again, the businesses have tried to cripple research and progressive thoughts. but its always proved, that you cannot halt creativity.

Google OS sounds evil to me so far, it may be free, but eventually it would'nt be a free ride forever.