xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zandramas

Text Based Muds Multi User Dimension

Hey all. I thought to add a new thread to see if anyone else would play a text based online game. I play on a few of them, the most is usuall AVATAR. Does anyone else here play text based games? If so, what is your favorite mud?

My favorite is AVATAR

Hope all is well.

Zandramas.

I was looking for some ages ago when I was really bored, but I couldn't find any. Could you list some good ones (other than avatar which has already been listed above) Are MUD's any good, or do they suck?

The games that I have found, which is very few, are quite enjoyable, especially for the imaginative mind. Personally I think that each person has a different type of what sort of mud games they wish to play if they want to get involved. If you like to have pk (aka player killing, where you can kill other players), questing and other things, you can try Aardwolf there at http://www.aardwolf.com/ .. I have not played alot of muds so I can only give some information about a few... Text based mud games, is almost like reading a book, except you get to participate in it, and you can create your own vision of how to interpret the game.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ three I listed above are the ones I have played so far.. I have not yet found many others that I enjoyed.

Ah, a thread to my liking :(

I got introduced to MUDs on ShadowMUD and that is basically the only mud I play. I am not that great at it, and on Shadow I know my way around :). I have however tried a few, like Vincent's Hollow. On VH there usually are almost no players, it is a very quiet mud, the benefit is that the connection is good.

I found VH pretty tricky since it doesn't save the inventory and the MUDlib is different from ShadowMUD (Which is what I am used to). ShadowMUD is pretty newbie friendly and all that. There is so much interaction that I usually have to shut down some of the channels (or lines) LOL. Anyhow, on there I am Aymelek. :( So in case you happen to go there, and you see me, feel free to drop me a tell ;)

I haven't played Primal Darkness too much, but it is really nice too :D I can recommend it.. :)

You really should try Achea... Its like real life, just in a archaic sort of way. You have to greet people using "Good Jera" or "May Algiz Protect" especially if you are a runewarden... Although I forgot to play it for quite a while now... Wonder if i still know my way around?

Text based mud games, is almost like reading a book, except you get to participate in it, and you can create your own vision of how to interpret the game. - zandramas

I believe that this is quite true in MUD games especially on people with imaginative minds. A highly good MUD would be one with lots of description in it. What i mean is that lets say you've found an item on the floor which you don't recognise in real life and don't know what it looks like. In most MUD games, you are able to "look at" an item or "observe" an item. This brings out a description of the item. If the description is vague, chances are, what you imagine the item is in your mind might not be what the game creators expect you to imagine, and vice versa.

The idea of MUDs is complex. I totally agree with Zandramas that playing a MUD is like reading a book. When you open it, there are so much possibilites of what is going to happen. This is what makes MUDs interesting for some minds. (LIKE MINE!!! :) )

Well I'd recommend good-old Achaea like what Xevian has been pestering for so long. But I'd say so only if you can be really dedicated to your character and MUD. If you're one who just like to roam around the MUD and have fun sometimes, try Ancient Anguish.

All in all, I do NOT believe that MUDs should be made to be paid for to play. Keeping a good MUD server up does take millions of money!

I believe that this is quite true in MUD games especially on people with imaginative minds. A highly good MUD would be one with lots of description in it. What i mean is that lets say you've found an item on the floor which you don't recognise in real life and don't know what it looks like. In most MUD games, you are able to "look at" an item or "observe" an item. This brings out a description of the item. If the description is vague, chances are, what you imagine the item is in your mind might not be what the game creators expect you to imagine, and vice versa.

The idea of MUDs is complex. I totally agree with Zandramas that playing a MUD is like reading a book. When you open it, there are so much possibilites of what is going to happen. This is what makes MUDs interesting for some minds. (LIKE MINE!!!  :D )

Well I'd recommend good-old Achaea like what Xevian has been pestering for so long. But I'd say so only if you can be really dedicated to your character and MUD. If you're one who just like to roam around the MUD and have fun sometimes, try Ancient Anguish.

All in all, I do NOT believe that MUDs should be made to be paid for to play. Keeping a good MUD server up does take millions of money!

MUDs are fun as long as you have the power of imagination! It is actually way better than playing games with graphics if you can virtually picture it out! Actually, playing MUD games is like as techocian said... reading a book, just that this book is blank, and its up to you how you decide to picture it! Its the same concept as looking at a cloud... You can picture it this way, others picture it another way! I'm not being old fashion, but it can be quite a relief to be away from graphics all the time! Techocian... You know Achaea is way more fun than ancient anguish... The lastest version of Achaea is Imperial, created by the same company... Not bad, but quite the same...