xisto Community
lxcid

Forum Comparison? vBulletin? phpBB? Inivision? ?

Which forum do u think is the best?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

vbulletin would be the best one if it would be for free, or a working trial version of it would be available. since its not, my choice is Invision. I like PhpBB but it is crippled with some features (although you could install mods on it).

Personally, I prefer phpBB as it is easier to customise it, like its appearance and feel, inserting additional texts and so on.But I'll say IPB comes in very close on phpBB

phpBB because it's easy to install mods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't say so... If your mods are not small ones. Sure mods are probably easier to install than in other systems because of the EasyMod but still it isn't easy. I just fought two nights with the categories hierarchy...

Also phpBB needs mods as it hasn't that many featureas built-in. That's probably what has driven the developmnet of EasyMod.

I use phpBB on my site but I would use vBulletin if I wasn't such a cheapskate.

PhpBB 2.2 sounds very promising... Only of they could finish is someday...

I disagree about phpBB being easy to install mods in. There are definatley more modifications for the software phpBB than for any other software (e.g. Invision or vBulletin) but nevertheless they are probably more difficult to install. Also phpBB is overall harder to use that Invision Power Board.

i'm personally a fan of IPB, but sometimes making skins for them get very annoying. Wouldn't believe how long it took me just to make this simple skin: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

but invision all the way ^_^

Vbulletin is the best portal in town.. U can install a lot of mods and there are plenty of hacks available. but it isint free.. I personally prefer vbulletin v3.03

phpBB you can install everything you want there are a lot of features...

Also is free :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will not vote for this guy. PhpBB are hard to hack mods. It takes you much time to modify both the php files and template files so that they get on well with each other. I have many problems changing the skin for my PhpBB board b/c I hacked to many mods and don't remember what mods should be added to the new skins. And of course, if you don't add enough the mods for your new skin, all the board will not work.

Question: Is the Invision Power Board version 1.3.1 that is included in the Fantastico package at Xisto a limited trial or is it the full version that used to be free (?). If so is it possible to convert it to phpBB2 without losing any user data and settings?Thanks for reading.