xisto Community
prolifik

Partitions How do you partition your HDD?

lol...hmm... A old school way to partion things that works well but I don't think I would recommend since you all have those programs is to just use a windows 98 boot disk ;) lol....It worked very good for me and it was quite easy to use lol...But I've read all the posts and it seems partion magick or w.e would be the best program to use..... But I betcha that windows 98 bootdisk would be much easier to get off the net ;)

I agreed with r3d. I myself prefer to use fdisk as it uses a dos environment to set-up the partition ofr you.For people who prefer to have a more interactive user-interface to react to, try partition magic.

I agreed with r3d. I myself prefer to use fdisk as it uses a dos environment to set-up the partition ofr you.

For people who prefer to have a more interactive user-interface to react to, try partition magic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fdisk is real good till you limit yourself to ONE Primary Partition and allot the rest to logical drives in an Extended Partition - thats the point it fails MISERABLY. The windows FDISK was never meant to split up our HDD for installation of mutilple OS. Microsoft probably always worked on the assumption that you'll never have another OS on your system as long as you had some version of windows running !!! I always relied on Fdisk till I had multiple OS-es on my system - and then things began to run out of control. Then of course I'd to resort to Partition Magic. The Linux based fdisk or DiskDruid (also PartEd) did it as well, but the visual representation that PQMagic offers you is still lacking in most of them... but mind you, NOT the ability to perform the same objective. That was always present in all these softwares right from day 1.

So I believe, those who want to split up their hdd under a more user-friendly environment should resort to PQMagic (it's even got a PQMagic for DOS version, that doesn't need ANY kind of Windows to boot up into) and for the power users - there's always an assortment of tools like good ol' fisk, diskdruid & parted to choose from....

Partitioning is a necessary thing to do if you want/need multiple-OS capability. Somebody responded about partitioning a 160gig drive for holding different types of data - this seems uterly pointless, and perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind this to me but, why wouldn't you just make a file folder?? Folders are for organization of data, not drive partitions. The only reason I could possibly think of for that would be if you were making a futile attempt at crippling some of the petty windows/internet spread virus' by giving windows it's own partition. Though really most virus' have the capability to search for existing drives as part of thier reproductive system, so that seems rather pointless.ah.... F-DISk

so i want qtparted. what is it? where can i get it? and the most importat questiuon for me is: is it freeware??

freeware... hello no... better. open source ;)

the asyest way to use it is on the knoppix disk. http://www.knoppix.org/

every self respecting computer guy has a knoppix disk lyin around somwhere.

Umm.. not quite Ploforia.. Even if you are using a single OS you might want to partition and split up your data into similar categories. Coz, it's a proven fact that with windows NTFS/FAT32 there's a HUGE performance degradation for partitions above 8GB (NTFS) and some figure around 4GB for FAT32... so you cannot afford to have one huge 160Gig partition split into folders of your choice unless you want to have a HDD with a response time exceeding 20seconds to read each sector ;)

Partition magic is good. I used to use it a lot until I discovered Acronis Partition Expert. This came in the Acronis Disk Director Suite. These are very good softwares.

oh yes! they are sooo good!! (ironic) ! ok, they are very userfriendly, but i tried both and i used them for my data! after i used them suddenly one path was completely erased!! thats something what shouldnt happen, if a software is really good!! ;) so im not a big fan of these tools, by the way they are also expensive! and "qtparted" is freeware, what i heard here ;) and i also heard, that that works well!

every self respecting computer guy has a knoppix disk lyin around somwhere.

hehe, yes i have i think 5 of these CDs from computermags and so on :P but the thing is that i didnt know, that there is qparted on?! :P THX for the tipp!

I might need some help/advise with some partition issues of mine...My situation:I have at the moment 2 partitions on a computer, one is boot and the other system. I initially partitioned this drive so I could use linux and windows on the same pc, but i have since reformatted the drive. When i reformatted and installed windows xp, i was not able to recombine the 2 partitions back into one, because one of the partitions had the xp installation files on it. My question:How can I recombine the two partitions back into one? and Can I do this without having to format or erase my files, such as through any of the partitioning software mentioned above?Thanks :P

to prs.you need to delete the unused partiton, then expand the windows partiton to occupy the whole disk.if you dont mind paying, use partiton magick.if you want to do it for free boot knoppix, and use qtparted, its in the main menu.

Or... I'm being BAD here :P you could download PQMagic off some warez site - if you are desperate enough and don't have the right kind of moollah to buy it.. I'm a sw developer myself - but I believe in free sw (if not open source) and I think every software should come free of cost to try (without limitations or nag-screens) and all the revenue should be earned from follow-up installation and technical support. So I say, go ahead and grab PQMagic from somewhere and expand your partition to glory :PAll the best :P

I'm a sw developer myself - but I believe in free sw (if not open source) and I think every software should come free of cost to try (without limitations or nag-screens) and all the revenue should be earned from follow-up installation and technical support. So I say, go ahead and grab PQMagic from somewhere and expand your partition to glory :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, I agree! :P

i use partition magic, very quick and easy to use. you give steps to do on your hard something like "partition". you grab some space from your exsisting partition and it makes a new partition from scratch. takes about 30 minutes to do depending on your hard drive speed.