xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

meaning of "@"

well, it should be AT because obviously, your mailbox is at the hotmail, yahoo, gmail,... serverthat's where it is. like you say: i'm at home. i'm at the race,...but why that symbol? i don't know.here in belgium, we call it 'apestaart' which means 'tail of a monkey', hehe.but then again, most IT persons just say AT

I searched for it in the web and what i've found is that it's called a "commercial at-sign". Don't know if that's 100% correct. I myself call it "at-sign" coz that's what i hear and read what other people call it. It's quite interesting to know that people from other countries have their own names for this symbol. :)

@ is a very old symbol, derived from thelatin preposition "ad" (at).im portuguese so in Portugal it denotes a weight of about25 pounds, the weight and the symbol are called "arroba".

Hmm... In Hong Kong, we just pronounce it as "at". This might be different in different parts of China, though. The reason why we (Hong Kong people) pronounce it "at" might be that it was a British Colony, and we just used their way of saying it, and haven't changed.