xisto Community
Thunder1405241469

Stop anything from making it ur homepage!

I never knew you could stop that from happening, although I don't use Internet Explorer on my Windows installations anymore, I usually kill or cripple it permanently.So this basically stops website and what not, from changing your home page?I remember years ago where little things like this, used to be very annoying.

I had this old computer that I was configuring to run a server, and whenever I typed a search term in the address bar or clicked a link from Google it directed to this random website. It completely messed up my Google results. I did a quick search for a Ad/Spyware scanner, typed the address in my browser (because Google links didn't work), and found one. I can't remember exactly which one I used, but I remember that it did the job. It found at least a half-dozen various spy/adware on the computer. Presto, gone. Now I can't get the address bar to search, but that's no big deal (especially since I use Firefox most of the time, and like I said, I don't use the computer much). It bugs me when these programs even exist.

You probably have a BHO that's hooking the browse requests to search engines. Use Hijackthis to get rid of those.

So this basically stops website and what not, from changing your home page?

No, all this fix does is cause IE to ignore the homepage setting. When you pass the url as a parameter the browser goes to that url instead of your homepage. It does nothing to address the actual problem, and in fact, could help conceal the fact that your machine has been compromised.

Basicly what your are doing is making a shortcut to a website, am I correct? This would help but I hardly ever see my homepage (in fact I don't think I have one). I use Opera and have it set so it opens up what I was doing the last time. I have a few sessions set for variuse tasks (Homework, website updates, forum posting ect.) I wouldn't recomend Internet Explorer, the new one (version 7) stoped working for my computer about a week after I downloaded it and I don't have any viriuses. Im not sure if Firefox can have it's homepage changed via virus but I'm sure there are a lot fewer viriuses for Firefox then there are for Internet Explorer. If it really bugs you, you should probably just switch to a better browser.Thanks,Sparkx

I would recommend the use of several antispyware applications such as Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka Scanner, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender. Also, I do not recommend using Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary (Windows Updates, certain IE-only sites, etc). I recommend the use of Mozilla Firefox, Opera or Safari for web browsing as they are more secure and have more features.If your homepage DOES get hijacked in Internet Explorer, Spybot Search & Destroy has an option to reset it to a page of your choice.

IE page is frezing suddenly

Stop anything from making it ur homepage!

In My Home Page , I am using a spin ball where it spins till the page gets loaded.In IE, when I click on any other link or tabs then it loads the corresponding link or page.But when I click on the link or tabs when the spin ball is spinning the page looks like freezing(that is spin ball stops spinning & status bar also stops)still the page is getting loaded.When there is large data this senerio looks like the page is getting freezed.

Atleast if I get status bar it may solve my probelm.

-reply by veerendra