xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
finaldesign

What Type Of Backup Are You Using? Ghost software? just burn CD/dvd??

Hello!I need to choose some good Backup solution for my office, so I need your help here... I was browsing the net, and there is so many software solutions for backup to CD/DVD, and I was suprised only with Norton Ghost - it's the kind a thing i'll need, but Im really in doubt which is best solution.. What do you think?? :D

nero has a backup to cd/dvd as well. i use that. i don't like the norton control suite. nero has never given me trouble, and i've used it on all windows systems, fast and slow computers.

yes i like ghost. its very simple and excelent.ussually i make some partitions for my harddisk, into at least 2 parttns. mostly 3 parttition.the first is o/s i.e. win-xp and its application, 2nd is for data (i move my_documends and email data in here).after all applications are installed properly, i defrag it then run from ghost DOS (prepare 1 floppy DOS booting, dont execute ghost under windows, it will very long time to proceed).choose option: partition to image then put it on 2nd drive (C:\ to D:\), finish.done.if there is a virus came, just restore it. simple. (i never install antivirus on my pc. too rush for me and make pc slower)the bad thing is if harddisk broken. so for preventive action, u have to store that image including ghost.exe to another media whether cd, dvd of another disk.

I only backup data in my computer, I bought an additional harddrive and an exclore and made a usb external harddrive myself, then I backup all importand files in this external harddrive.I never backup my windows, if there were any thing wrong, I will just reformat and reinstall ever thing, it is pain, but it did not happen very often, maybe once a year or 2.

I don't do backups in the right meaning of the word... :D All I do, is zip important files, and then copy them to Backup directory on a different partition :D I know it's not really a backup, but hey, I just can't get myself to waste an hour to do a decent backup :D

just suggestion..using ghost under dos only takes about ten minutes, then restoring only takes about 5 minutes. If u reformat and reinstall ever thing there, takes more than 1 hr. Its not happen very often, but once happen, u will spend that time. busy enough.Zip file? yes, ghost is offer backup into 3 option, normal - means no compressed, fast - means with commpressed, and very compressed. i ussually use the last one. 5GB system become 1.5GB image file.For backup data? it is your responsibility :angry:

I would chose Norton Ghost. I am using it myself for almost a year, and it's great!You can backup your hole computer and it's done in minutes :) The option to set it back is also great. Within 10 minutes my hole computer was returned into it's old state. A very powerfull and usefull tool I think :)

I use CDRW type.

For you, you can use CDRW (16x) or hard disk ghosting with Norton Ghost.

How much data have you?

65901[/snapback]

I have many gigs of work-data: approx. 60 Gigs.. Many of that are large photoshop files, large PDF documents for print, and such things...

Anyway thank you all for your comments, I decided to use Norton Ghost beacuse it give me all the flexibility I need, and I'll burn my backup images on DVD drive... :)

I would recomend Norton Ghost, I have use it in the past and it hasnt caused me any problems so far. On other computers that dont have Ghost installed, I just drag and drop files that I needed to backup onto Nero SmartStart, and burn them onto a CD.

I use a strategy :)c:\Windowsd:\Documents and settings (profile)d:\my documents (my docs)d:\gamesclean install windows, drivers, most used programs. backup with ghost with a DVD. restore backup, point profile and my documents to d: where are all the dirs and voil? :D