xisto Community
cityzen

What's The Best Linux Distribution?

Hello,I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 - the Jaunty Jackalope released in April 2009 -, since a few years, and I was really glad to have a so good system and did never have any major issues, it was just fantastic... But, since a few months I noticed that I can't install or update any program using the synaptic package manager, my VLC doesn't work anymore, etc. Well, I still using it, and I tried some new distributions like Ubuntu 12.04, which is long term supported... but I didn't find everything I liked in 9.04. As I use it in some old laptops, I would like to find an OS at least as good as Ubuntu 9.04.Which distribution do you recommend me?

I have had good success with Xubuntu on older machines. It uses smaller packages and works well with older, slower machines. It can be installed also using Wubi on a windows machine. For ease of updates, create a separate HOME partition to store the User files and you can update Linux without losing your data.Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing your VLC?

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Thank you so much for your great advise Jlhaslip,I'll test Xubuntu 12.10 in a USB key for a couple of weeks.It seems to have a low CPU usage, a nice customizable desktop and it's easy to install and use programs.My first impression is that it's exactly the one I was hardly looking for.(For VLC, I tried to remove it completely and reinstall it a few times , but it still doesn't work. So, I run its windows version with 'wine' :wacko: )

I haven't run Ubuntu since 11.04 (as I'm a gamer) but am looking into the possibility yet again (I do so every few months, hoping there's changes in regards to gaming ability). I'd like to hear how well 12.10 runs for you though in comparison to 9.04. Especially when it comes to the base RAM and CPU usage. I know there's been a lot of improvements/additions but I'm a bit worried about that also including a lot of additional overhead.

I recently downloaded a copy of the 12.10 ISO but have not yet wiped my current version of Xubuntu (which is running under a WUBI install) so I don't have a valid platform to benchmark since the current version is Xubuntu under WUBI and the new version will be a dual-boot version of Ubuntu, however, I will let you know of my impressions after I have given it a test drive.

I recently downloaded a copy of the 12.10 ISO but have not yet wiped my current version of Xubuntu (which is running under a WUBI install) so I don't have a valid platform to benchmark since the current version is Xubuntu under WUBI and the new version will be a dual-boot version of Ubuntu, however, I will let you know of my impressions after I have given it a test drive.

Thanks! Normally the speed/usage wouldn't be too big of an issue for me but when it comes to gaming via WINE, even small differences can go a long ways. Wish we could just get true DirectX already!

I installed Xubuntu 12.10 and Lubuntu 12.10 beside the version I'm actually using. Both are fantastic, easy to use and to customize. Lubuntu and Xubuntu look and feel are slightly the same. I did install the applications I use in both distributions, but it's too soon to talk about a first impression. I'll use both and let you know when I'll discard one of them. A difficult choice as they are both excellent.(In Xubuntu, I just had to add the synaptic package manager from the software center, as it wasn't installed by default, and customize the bottom panel)

I figured there would be a package to suit you sitting there in the Repositories.Xubuntu is a very light weight version of Ubuntu and ideal for older, smaller, slower machines. Since I am running an Intel i5 chip with 8 gigs, I should be good for the heavier full Ubuntu package.

Canonical's Ubuntu Linux, which is based on Debian Linux, has been in the limelight for quite some time as it took the top spot from Fedora of RedHat. Right now, if you want to pick a Linux distribution, there's a Ubuntu flavor for every need. If you want a modern tablet-friendly interface, there's the mainstream Ubuntu Linux distribution. If you prefer a KDE interface, there's Kubuntu. If you want something light-weight that does not hog memory, there's Lubuntu. Finally, there's Xubuntu which fits between Lubuntu and Ubuntu/Kubuntu in terms of memory usage and provides a rather traditional XFCE user interface when compared to the Gnome 3 and Unity.Linux Mint is a distribution that is based on Ubuntu Linux and presents a traditional user interface for folks who think that the changes that Canonical has been advocating are too radical for their tastes. Then again, one should look at Windows 8 and then give another look at Ubuntu to think about who's making the more radical changes.