xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

"stuffed Toys Alive!" To Make Their Appearance

Most of us have a craving and collection of stuffed toys, the main reason for the fetish, these toys look extremely cute. But what if they would also give us cute responses as sometimes is displayed as text on their bodies, those ones which say "Your Friend" or the most common "Hug Me". That wish is about to come true as the researchers from the Tokyo University of Technology have put on show at the Emerging Technologies section, for their "Stuffed Toys Alive!", a kind of interactive toy that would use the string pulley structure, in the toys limbs, some strings are fixed and then those are attached to a motor, which regulates the motion of the toy and also handles the task of responding from the toy's end which would be a result of touch.The working of the interactive stuffed toy is kept as simple as possible and it would prove to bring additional joy to the one who receives it.

Source

Edited by ritu (see edit history)

Not exactly a new idea, anybody remember the Chatty Cathy dolls from eons ago? But I'd venture to guess with the fantastic advances in technoligy we have today, these toys will be a far cry from the original toys of this nature. Not to mention a great money makeing deal for the toy manufactor, when a new toy takes off and rockets to the top of the want list of all the little kids, they usually end up not being able to produce them as fast as demands require them. They usually wait till around Christmas time to push they newest fad, so all those little children can start nagging their parents about what they want for Christmas.

I really hope the parents equip themselves well before they have to face their children's demands during the festive season so that they do not have to spend time on the calculation over the expenses.Back on the topic, I think the main feature to be watched out for would be the feel of their touch ans their movement because they supposedly have the limbs in fiber. One thing to be confessed, if I were to blame only the kids, it would be unfair as I, myself, even after being an adult crave for soft toys.

sheepdog,When you mention about things that have a really high demand that the firm is unable to manufacture enough of them to keep up with the demand, the iPhone comes to mind - every time a new one is launched, it gets sold out within the first couple of hours although now it is starting to lose its novelty with so many other smart phones and tablets out there.Many people get attracted to these products despite their high prices. When Blackberry dropped the prices of the PlayBook, that perhaps had other manufacturers figure out what the right price ought to be and Amazon seems to have the pricing of the Kindle Fire just right for the average consumer to want to buy it. iPad still probably makes up for a huge portion of the tablets and they have to keep innovating to keep their lead.

Not exactly a new idea, anybody remember the Chatty Cathy dolls from eons ago?

I didn't have any of those myself, although I do remember them well. I had a stuffed dog that could do a flip and bark. If you pulled his leash he would walk with you and wag his tail. Too bad my real dog didn't like him and ended up ripping it to shreds lol.

I kind of wish that the older more active style toys would become more popular again. Toys like pogo balls! Those things were lots of fun! :) Heck even slinky toys made you run up and down the stairs to play with them.

These days I almost have to bribe my kids to go outside and the more advanced the toys get, the less active kids seem to get.
Edited by NateP (see edit history)

NateP, you've hit the nail on the head! Kids today are just unbelievable to my way of thinking. I never thought I'd live to see the day that you had to make your kids go outside and play! What on earth is this crazy world coming too? Pogo balls and slinkys were great, and remember those balsa wood toy airplanes you stuck together? Boy you could really run your legs off flying them around. I wonder if they still even make those? They used to be pretty easy to find and the five and dime store, but hey, are there even any of those left around, or has everything gone to giant superstores like Walmart where you could't find it in the maze if they did have it.

NateP, you've hit the nail on the head! Kids today are just unbelievable to my way of thinking. I never thought I'd live to see the day that you had to make your kids go outside and play! What on earth is this crazy world coming too? Pogo balls and slinkys were great, and remember those balsa wood toy airplanes you stuck together? Boy you could really run your legs off flying them around. I wonder if they still even make those? They used to be pretty easy to find and the five and dime store, but hey, are there even any of those left around, or has everything gone to giant superstores like Walmart where you could't find it in the maze if they did have it.

Hmm, the airplanes you're talking about are the cheap (like dollar or less) ones, right? That come in the small paper packaging and are used for giving away at parties and whatnot? If so, those most definitely do still exist. I saw them recently, though I can't recall exactly where (maybe Hobby Lobby or something).

Well, a dollars sounds like a lot, but with inflation that's probably about right. Good to know they still exist. My feeble memory isn't that great, but I was thinking they were 10 cents apiece, or 3 for a quarter. They were a lot of fun, if you'd catch the wind just right they could make some pretty cool loops and swoops. And you did have to run to retrieve them, so at least you got some exercise.

well these days nothing can replace kids Ipads, Mobile Phones, Laptops any soft toy even the most wonderful would never be able to sell very well except as a present for Christmas, but I guess maybe is years to come The Toy would have all those gadgets and more and would be the best seller, by the way I thought there was already a soft toy that done what you are saying, least I remember seeing them so why would someone design something that already is around,