xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
leiaah

<iframe> Tag a page within a page

I really love the <IFRAME> tag. I use it a lot in my website especially for shoutboxes. I use to wonder how it's done and I thought you use a lot of frames for it but it's actually quite simple. You may paste this code in a table/cell and then just change the values of the width and height.

<IFRAME name= main src="main.htm" frameBorder=0 width="334" height="311" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">  <font size="1">Please get Netscape 6.0 or Internet Explorer 5+ to view this page</font></IFRAME>

It would look nicer if you have changed the color of the scrollbar.

Message from snlildude87: leiaah, please put all code in the code () tags for better readability. :D

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Not sure i understand the need for iframe tag. The iframe code you have above seems like an include, wondering if you couldn't just use the include code to accomplish the same thing?round.trap17.com

the iframe function is html, for one. the iframe includes the document named in an inline frame, which means it can be any size, not take up however long the document in the iframe is. very preferable for shoutboxes. Shoutboxes in include tags suck, take up the whole screen.. it's annoying

This is amazing thanks for sharing this information, it can be useful to some people!!!! Like me it can be useful to, because I always wanted to do that!!!iframes can be very useful for the spacing, navigation and overall web site look!!!

Hmm, I just used an iFrame to link my free forums into my website, so that people no longer have to open a new window/leave my site to get to the forums. Very nice! But I think I'll switch back since there is an error with the bottom of my forums with the iframe command. Thanks anyways for the information.

Why can't you just try a shoutbox script or make your own.. It's sooo easy... Just like a guestbook or blog.iframes are good but don't use too much of it... i don't know why but I was told that tip about website making some one told me it wasn't a good idea to ues it too much and it werent very professional... I have no idea why. I use to use it for EVERYTHING.

they're annoying and they can throw the whole page off. i dunno they're just annoying lol

i suggest not to use iframe tag. Because if you use it and if there is multi scrolling that is scrolling in the iframe and the main page in which it resides; use of the scroll wheel and button in the mouse becomes unneccessarily tedious. If there are some other options instead of using iframe better option will be go for that. I suggest to omit the ifram in you page if possible.

very simple task, that many people prefer not to use. I agree the scrolling becomes a pain, but when it is used right, it is very effective and nice looking. I like to use it for news and such, like on the front page for news. ALso, its eeasy for when you don't want a page to reload everytime they click on the navigation, its really effective for navigation and banners that don't need to load every time they go to a new page, which allows faster viewing of the webpage.