xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darko100

New Versions Of Firefox Will Have Video Chat In Themselves

Mozilla unveiled a demo of a standard for video chat which is added to an experimental version of Firefox :) Could slow the browser though..The standard that Firefox is going to use is built on Web Real Time Communication (WebRTC) which supports video communication and audio streams without the need for plugins like Flash.WebRTC standard, built with JavaScript and HTML5, currently is at experimental stage, but according to Mozilla it will appear in the alpha version of Firefox for several months. What is interesting about the standard is that WebRTC is available on several browsers (not just Firefox) and technology open source comes from Global IP Solutions that are owned by Google (not Mozilla).Let's see what Mozilla will offer.

It's interesting that they'll be adding this but you hit on one of the main concerns: whether or not it will slow down the browser. One can only guess so, being that they're going to be increasing the overhead with the addition (much like extensions do).I hope that it's not really a "integrated" solution but that there's an option as to whether or not you want it. I really don't have use for it (unless it will be used for all videos, such as Youtube) and therefore don't need the overhead, whether it be in increased client sizes, increased load times, etc.

Depending on how it's handled it may increase cpu and/or RAM usage, slowing down the overall system when it's in heavy use. I run 2 monitors and always have a lot of stuff up, lol. Usually 30-35 browsers.

Seems to be a nice feature in mozilla firefox, i just searched around about this feature and found some good information about it. actually webRTC will give us lots of realtime features that we haven't seen in any other browser yet. i have seen some ideas about using it for example using it for getting comments of visitors by their voice, so they don't need to write down their comments and they just say what they think about the text you have written somewhere more easily. the only problem i afraid of is the privacy, as the technology progresses companies can collect more information from us and if a hacker gets those information then we can face serious problems, now i don't know how exactly WebRTC will work but i think it will lower the security of our computers and maybe even hackers can take our pictures and record our voice more easily than ever,By the way i'm waiting to test this new feature which seems to come around soon. it seems this time google and mozilla both are planning some new things for us :P .

I doubt the addition will slow down the browser when there isn't a video or audio stream being sent or received. Also, I doubt this will be used for YouTube videos or similar because the standard is for communication between browsers rather than between a web browser and a web server. We are seeing a lot of peer-to-peer APIs being introduced in higher level development platforms so it just might be possible for browser development to move to a higher level - perhaps .NET or Java instead of C/C++.