xisto Community
velma

Cheapest Tablet In The World - Aakash Launched in India, today.

Here is some good news for Indians wanting to own a tablet of their own but have financial constrictions(me being one of them :P)The Indian Institute of Technology has created what seems to be the world's cheapest tablet priced at 1700 INR or 34 USD approx. It is supposed to be education oriented promising to give you what most big brands are currently offering.

Personally I would love to give it a try and as long as the job gets done, I am ready to accept any shortcomings like mediocre touch screen, low graphics or slow speeds.

he device is expected to give some of the more costly tablet computers a tough competition as it will also PDF reader, video conferencing functioning, , sci-lab, media player, remote device management capability, multimedia input-output interface option, and multiple content viewer.

I hoping it works out since a lot of people would truly benefit from this. What do you guys think?
Source

The cheapest tablet in India was for Rs.1,200/- but prices have increased since its introduction. I can't remember if it was MyDrona or the NotionInk Adam but one of the two was sold for Rs.1,200/-. MyDrona was created by the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT - that is three 'I's, not two).The low price comes from government subsidies rather than breakthroughs in manufacturing technologies therefore I can't really speculate on the build quality. The Aakash tablet comes with just 256MB RAM which makes it difficult to 'hack' it to turn it into a cheap laptop replacement. The price does make it a compelling purchase when compared to the Samsung netbook for Rs.16,000/-. Considering that a motorcycle can be bought for Rs.30,000/-, folks who aren't IT-savvy are not very likely to get a netbook or even a regular computer be a desktop or a laptop for that matter.If the display and battery of a cheap netbook are taken off, that might help cut down the price by quite a bit. Hooking up the rest of the netbook to a television set does make the idea seem like it may meet commercial success if it is pitched correctly. The downside is that by using a television, you would be limited to low resolutions and the idea of a nettop has already been tested without much success. The difference between a nettop and the proposed stripped-down netbook is the lower cost in using the infrastructure for existing netbook development and the integration of a keyboard and touchpad within the body that helps save on material costs.

Here is some good news for Indians wanting to own a tablet of their own but have financial constrictions(me being one of them :P)The Indian Institute of Technology has created what seems to be the world's cheapest tablet priced at 1700 INR or 34 USD approx. It is supposed to be education oriented promising to give you what most big brands are currently offering.
Personally I would love to give it a try and as long as the job gets done, I am ready to accept any shortcomings like mediocre touch screen, low graphics or slow speeds.

I hoping it works out since a lot of people would truly benefit from this. What do you guys think?
Source

Well, usually when companies come out with these "cheap" devices that are meant to keep up with mainstream ones, they fall short. The fact is that to get quality costs money. There's no real way around that -- materials aren't free, nor is workmanship.

So while I think they may be able to offer some features that are in mainstream devices, the quality will most likely suffer. But then again, for $30, what do you expect? That's not to say it's not worth getting, just that you should be aware that there are a lot of lies and misconstrued information companies push out to get people to buy their items.

Well firstly I guess we just wait and watch because the tablet will not be retailed for another month and the price it will be sold for is 2,999 INR or 60 USD. As long as the battery and speeds are highly compromised, I would definitely buy this gizmo since it would come in good use while I am traveling. As for the features, as long as I am able to type without frying anything I think I should be fine :PIt is true that it won't be a replacement of any kind for a laptop but it would be an ideal gift for the technological noobs since it would give them the pleasure of having something fancy without really confusing them or costing too much :)

I am not very optimistic about it survival chance. Indian used to come up with the cheapest car in the world, Tata. Instead of taking world by storm, it flop badly, even in its own country. While it might be be affordable to almost all, but people would still for the likes of iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc.