xisto Community
q9c9p

Pizza Dough Tips Lets share some tips

Hello to everybody around the forum,I'm an amateur pizza baker and I'd like to share my experience with you, maybe other people know more than I do :DSo...for start how I do it:take 700 hundred grams of 00 type flour;some more flour for "working out the dough";one cube of fresh yeast, about couple of grams;half a liter of water;two spoon of salt;one tea spoon of sugar;some olive oil;I usually take a jar in which I keep the water, then I drop the salt, the sugar and the yeast and I mix them till the yeast and the rest is all melted, the sugar make the dough soft while baking.Then I take a big bowl in which I put the flour and then I mix it slowly with the water-yeast mix using a big wooden spoon, when is well amalgamated I add another fist of flour to harden the dough, I wash carefully my hands, and get the dough out of the bowl as soon as, while adding little flour, it becomes harder-gummy.I drop some more flour on the table, I drop down the dough and I start "working it out", have you ever seen a pizza baker working out the dough? B)And I go on like this adding a little flour and a little olive oil till the dough is very gummy and not sticky, after that I put it back in the bowl, cover it with a clean towel and leave it for 2-3 hours to grow.The trick I showed is the sugar and the olive oil that makes the dough grow more in the oven while baking and it makes it soft inside while crispy on the outside.Hope you enjoy my tips and I hope to hear more tips.Buon appetito!q9c9p

Hello to everybody around the forum,
I'm an amateur pizza baker and I'd like to share my experience with you, maybe other people know more than I do :D

So...for start how I do it:

take 700 hundred grams of 00 type flour;

some more flour for "working out the dough";

one cube of fresh yeast, about couple of grams;

half a liter of water;

two spoon of salt;

one tea spoon of sugar;

some olive oil;

I usually take a jar in which I keep the water, then I drop the salt, the sugar and the yeast and I mix them till the yeast and the rest is all melted, the sugar make the dough soft while baking.
Then I take a big bowl in which I put the flour and then I mix it slowly with the water-yeast mix using a big wooden spoon, when is well amalgamated I add another fist of flour to harden the dough, I wash carefully my hands, and get the dough out of the bowl as soon as, while adding little flour, it becomes harder-gummy.
I drop some more flour on the table, I drop down the dough and I start "working it out", have you ever seen a pizza baker working out the dough? B)
And I go on like this adding a little flour and a little olive oil till the dough is very gummy and not sticky, after that I put it back in the bowl, cover it with a clean towel and leave it for 2-3 hours to grow.

The trick I showed is the sugar and the olive oil that makes the dough grow more in the oven while baking and it makes it soft inside while crispy on the outside.

Hope you enjoy my tips and I hope to hear more tips.

Buon appetito!

q9c9p

Thanks for your pizza tips. I love pizza and am always trying to improve my pizza making techniques. Olive oil does crisp up the crust I have tried that before. People sometimes put corn meal in their dough to give it a crunchy texture, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood.

I'm still trying to perfect my thin crust pizza and "chewy-ish" dough. Sometimes my thin crust turns out great, thin and crisp enough to hold a light topping. Sometimes it flops, literally. I have never figured out how to make a chewier style dough so perfecting it might not be the best word..

One thing I really hate about making dough is rolling it into it's round shape. I have a lot of trouble with that, maybe I'm just not patient enough. I wish I could fling it around in the air, do people really do that? I have no idea!

Thanks for your pizza tips. I love pizza and am always trying to improve my pizza making techniques. Olive oil does crisp up the crust I have tried that before. People sometimes put corn meal in their dough to give it a crunchy texture, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on my mood.
I'm still trying to perfect my thin crust pizza and "chewy-ish" dough. Sometimes my thin crust turns out great, thin and crisp enough to hold a light topping. Sometimes it flops, literally. I have never figured out how to make a chewier style dough so perfecting it might not be the best word..

One thing I really hate about making dough is rolling it into it's round shape. I have a lot of trouble with that, maybe I'm just not patient enough. I wish I could fling it around in the air, do people really do that? I have no idea!

Hello,

yes I heard of using corn meal but I never tried my self, I will give it a shot for next pizza.

About launching the pizza, well...people don't really do that...is just show off...I tell you how they do it in real Naples pizzeria ( but also normal pizzeria with the traditional wood oven ), first off make the ball, squash it with the hands a bit and then "flip flap it" with the hands to the right and to the left a couple of times, i linked you video down in the message so you can see what I mean, the guy is really fast, you don't need to be so fast, the important is the rotation so that is becomes round, it takes a week of experience to master this technique ;); else you can use the edge of the table, usually the table in pizzerias are made of marble and have steep edge at the end, what the do they put the pizza half down and half up and then twist it so the gravitation does the rest of the job of pulling and rounding the dough.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope this helps you and apologies if you can't understand the language of the video, the important is the hand work not what the guy is talking about ;)

Ciao,
q9c9p

i love pizza too :) i've made a few in my past. i too like a crispy crust, but it's kinda hard in a conventional oven. you can use olive oil, but it's not going to be as natural tasting. i think after you roll out the dough and cut it, put it on a plate or pan to freeze it. at least harden a little bit so you can put it directly in the oven without a pan or baking sheet. also one trick i use to make things crispier is to preheat to the highest temperature. once i put the food in, i turn down the heat to the correct temperature. you don't normally have to even adjust the time it takes to cook.also, you don't have to roll the dough in to a circle or a square. personally, i like my pizza circular so after i roll out the dough to the proper thickness, i just take a plate face down on the dough and cut around it or a couple inches away from how large you want your pizza if you want a thicker crust around the edges and plan to fold the edges. what i like to do with the extra dough that is left over is to shred up some cheese and wrap the dough around it and cook it with the pizza. if you have any left over sauce you can use it to dip the appetizers. although i wouldn't put olive oil on my pizza, i would with the dough i wrapped the cheese with.i also like to add spices to the dough mix personally. i know with the sauce, it's a definate must, but the crust of the dough will taste better when eating it plain. there is no pizza better than made from fresh dough in my opinion! by fresh, i mean that dough that hasn't been refrigerated for more than a day.

i love pizza too :) i've made a few in my past. i too like a crispy crust, but it's kinda hard in a conventional oven. you can use olive oil, but it's not going to be as natural tasting. i think after you roll out the dough and cut it, put it on a plate or pan to freeze it. at least harden a little bit so you can put it directly in the oven without a pan or baking sheet. also one trick i use to make things crispier is to preheat to the highest temperature. once i put the food in, i turn down the heat to the correct temperature. you don't normally have to even adjust the time it takes to cook.

Hello pizza lover! :D

Yeah the peculiar taste of the pizza comes from the traditional wood oven, is true, but you don't need to freeze it to not have it to stick in the oven, my trick is to sparse a bit of flour on the bottom of the pan, no baking sheet needed, is the same thing pizzerias in italy do, they put a layer of flour under the dough so it won't stick.

also, you don't have to roll the dough in to a circle or a square. personally, i like my pizza circular so after i roll out the dough to the proper thickness, i just take a plate face down on the dough and cut around it or a couple inches away from how large you want your pizza if you want a thicker crust around the edges and plan to fold the edges. what i like to do with the extra dough that is left over is to shred up some cheese and wrap the dough around it and cook it with the pizza. if you have any left over sauce you can use it to dip the appetizers. although i wouldn't put olive oil on my pizza, i would with the dough i wrapped the cheese with.

Yeah ok...but you know...I'm italian, we put olive oil on anything B)

i also like to add spices to the dough mix personally. i know with the sauce, it's a definate must, but the crust of the dough will taste better when eating it plain. there is no pizza better than made from fresh dough in my opinion! by fresh, i mean that dough that hasn't been refrigerated for more than a day.

Yeah, thats a good tip, but personally I don't like to freeze the dough, never did, never will, I always try to use it all at once, but thats my personal usage/opinion.

Ciao,

q9c9p