xisto Community
anwiii

The Demise Of Knowledge Sutra what knowledge?

Hi!I have not spent as much time on the forum as some of the older folk on here, but the years I have been here, it has been a fun ordeal. The traffic on the forum has been low in the past year. At first, there was the MyCENTs script that needed re-writing so the MyCENTs took a while to be credited but true to his promise, Opaque did get the script to retroactively credit all the posts that were not accounted for. Then, there were the dip in traffic, but now we see posts everyday so I guess the forum is still active. You may not get responses to specific threads because there just may not be enough people interested in the topic but then again that is just about the same on every other forum. You can post about issues with the Oracle database throwing Java virtual machine stack errors when creating Java stored procedures and most folks would either come up with a blank or send you a generic response that will not help at all.The resolution of tickets has slowed down a bit and I have had responses take up to 2 days but previously I would get a response within the hour. For free web hosting, it isn't too much of an annoyance and I would be sticking around for a while till I decide to go commercial with my web development pursuits. I would not say that makes the forum any less active, but it certainly would be nice to get better web hosting service considering that some folks on here make their bread and butter from their websites unlike the rest of us (or is it only me?) who simply host personal websites and personal blogs without really getting any revenue out of it.

Hi!
I have not spent as much time on the forum as some of the older folk on here, but the years I have been here, it has been a fun ordeal. The traffic on the forum has been low in the past year. At first, there was the MyCENTs script that needed re-writing so the MyCENTs took a while to be credited but true to his promise, Opaque did get the script to retroactively credit all the posts that were not accounted for. Then, there were the dip in traffic, but now we see posts everyday so I guess the forum is still active. You may not get responses to specific threads because there just may not be enough people interested in the topic but then again that is just about the same on every other forum. You can post about issues with the Oracle database throwing Java virtual machine stack errors when creating Java stored procedures and most folks would either come up with a blank or send you a generic response that will not help at all.

The resolution of tickets has slowed down a bit and I have had responses take up to 2 days but previously I would get a response within the hour. For free web hosting, it isn't too much of an annoyance and I would be sticking around for a while till I decide to go commercial with my web development pursuits. I would not say that makes the forum any less active, but it certainly would be nice to get better web hosting service considering that some folks on here make their bread and butter from their websites unlike the rest of us (or is it only me?) who simply host personal websites and personal blogs without really getting any revenue out of it.

Even for commercial sites, I don't see much of an issue with using Xisto - Web Hosting. Even recent tickets have been taken care of fairly fast, and despite paying $1.95 a month the quality of the hosting has been great. There is very little downtime except in certain rare cases where it happens multiple times in a row (such as for a 3 hour period having 5 minute outages). Really though, for a truly 99% uptime I'd go with a VPS or Dedicated anyways, so for shared hosting I feel CH is on-par with how they should be.

Even for commercial sites, I don't see much of an issue with using Xisto - Web Hosting. Even recent tickets have been taken care of fairly fast, and despite paying $1.95 a month the quality of the hosting has been great. There is very little downtime except in certain rare cases where it happens multiple times in a row (such as for a 3 hour period having 5 minute outages).

Hi!

I didn't mean to say that the web hosting service is in any way inappropriate for a commercial site but on the contrary, I would say that if you have a rock-bottom budget, Xisto - Web Hosting is the way to go. They give you a hosting package and they also give you a domain name to go with it - all without having to get your credit card out of your pocket or paying a single cent (although you would be using MyCENTs in plenty when managing multiple domain names and one of the higher packages).

The point I would like to make is that the resolution of tickets should be quick enough for trouble tickets to be closed (i.e. for the problem to go away, and not to just get a response) within a day. Problems are rare, but can occur and can take down a commercial website with it. Two days of downtime can have visitors seeking other sources of information that they are looking for and if they find something better, they tend to stick with it. I would imagine that the users with a paid package (I mean paid with real cents and not MyCENTs) may get better service than the free web hosting users but that only seems fair considering that paying users are the ones who help pay the wages for employees, keep the company afloat with some profits, and pay for the taxes due.

I have yet to create a ticket in recent times but when I do and I get issues resolved quickly, I'll be singing a different tune to encourage more people to use Xisto - Web Hosting for their commercial websites too. It may seem inappropriate for me to judge Xisto - Web Hosting based on their performance on a ticket in the past but that is all the information that I have to offer.

Wow Anwiii. I have been away for a few months, and I remember having discussions with you in the past here. I was made to feel at home here by some of our dicussions, I felt like this was a good place to be becuase of you.I was active on Xisto before it was changed. I tried to get my Xisto account to work here on KS but it never seemed to work and admin never answered my tickets or PMs. That bothered me because I felt forgotten by the staff here, but Anwiii you made me want to start over here anyways.I agree totally about the fact that Xisto was far better than what we are seeing now, and the community back then was vibrant and alive. I miss that. The army system was also amazing I miss it too. The fun of Xisto did not survive the move to KS. :(I will be sad to see you leave us Anwiii, but you must do what you feel is right and I respect that.

Nate,I haven't seen you much on the forum and it is probably because you had to sign up with a different account. The Xisto days were definitely a lot of fun because there was so much activity on the forum.However, I would have to disagree with the title of the thread. Xisto isn't dead for as long as there is someone out there who continues to contribute to the forum. The forum has been recently been upgraded too.I have been getting a reasonable response from Xisto - Web Hosting on the tickets that I have created so perhaps the ticket you created was from around the time when there was a transition from Xisto to Xisto or from the time when the forum was being upgraded. A forum upgrade typically means that a lot of the scripts, including the one for calculating MyCENTs has to be re-written to get the script working on the new version of the forum.The forum will be alive and involving for as long as the members stick around on the forum, the community will continue to exist. If you are around, you would be helping keep the forum up too.