xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Why Is American Chicken Better Than Canadian Chicken? A some-what thanksgiving related topic

For the most part, I like being Canadian. There is one thing however that really makes me envious of our southern neighbours. The poultry available in the USA is not only much cheaper, it's larger and much more flavourful -- there is just no comparison. The chicken and turkey in my province tastes like paper compared to American poultry and it costs twice as much. The meat has a yellow tint and gravy made with the meat is also yellow tinted. What's the catch? Why's your chicken so good? Corn feeding? Modern Science? Is American poultry going to to make me grow another arm or something? I think I heard that Canada has laws against all the funky stuff Americans do to chickens to make them grow fast, but I don't know if that's true. Hmmm?

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Thanks for the tip, I will remember to stay away from the fried chicken if I ever make it to Canada!I think the old saying, "you are what you eat" plays a big role in our food animals. Just yesterday I finished the butchering of the last of the chicks I hatched last fall in our incubator. I should of gotten them done before the cold snap, which I think caused them to be a bit tough, but otherwise they are quite tasty. They had a greatly varried diet, not only commercial feed, but we had built a chicken tractor that could be fairly easily moved, so we could keep them on fresh ground, and they could eat fresh grass. They got all our stale food, and scrap stuff our house dog wouldn't eat. Also, I had a huge surplus of eggs so I would boil up eggs and feed those to them when they were little, I figured since chickens are made out of eggs it had to be just about the most perfect food for them right?The meat was really good, but what amazed me the most was the consistancy of the bones. They were brite white, and very hard. Most store bought chicken have greyish soft bones that have a rough almost grainy texture to them. These were absolutly smooth as can be. They looked nothing like normal chicken bones.

Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)

It may be tastier but it's good to know that there are "regular" unmodified chickens out there. We don't know the affects of our altered chickens because we sadly have a "innocent until proven guilty" attitude. Most of the countries who aren't "advanced" in foods have skinny chickens too, but they also don't have a raising diabetes and allergy rate such as ours either.Count your blessings....