xisto Community
Vistz

Google Instant Good or bad?

Well AJAX based instant search is annoying as it gives some lag. And on firefox you'll get memory leaks every now and then. You may try using it with chrome or opera. It rarely lags with these browsers. But sometimes it annoys when you want to complete the query. I just like the old enter when completed with query way.

There is no memory leak on my firefox, maybe it is related to what plugins/addons present on your browser. Google instant is something I will never use on my IE8, it is draining CPU power and memory on my side. Never tried it with Safari.

There is no memory leak on my firefox, maybe it is related to what plugins/addons present on your browser. Google instant is something I will never use on my IE8, it is draining CPU power and memory on my side. Never tried it with Safari.

I hadn't even considered IE8 because I never use it. But I heard IE9 Beta is amazing (from what I've heard). You might have better luck with that.

Firefox does leak memory in comparison to chrome. It takes more memory and also it takes time while releasing the resources as well. Not sure if you know this already. If not check this. Though after june, most of the new versions are improved and no longer leak as much as they do. We have much better FF now than older version. I do expect 4 to be much better because it has sync feature included.

Firefox does leak memory in comparison to chrome. It takes more memory and also it takes time while releasing the resources as well. Not sure if you know this already. If not check this. Though after june, most of the new versions are improved and no longer leak as much as they do. We have much better FF now than older version. I do expect 4 to be much better because it has sync feature included.

Base on experience alone (on exception of 3 releases of firefox), my firefox browser never have any kind of memory leak when it is void of plugins. Adding plugins/addons usually tends to build up the memory leaks. On part of resource release, I am seeing that trend with firefox taking more time to release resources. Firefox on windows 7 do display heavy memory leaks even with flash as the only plugin/extension/addon present.

I am not affected with firefox memory leaks on windows 7 since I mostly use chrome on windows 7 and firefox on windows XP and unix/linux. However I will admit that I never notice if memory leaks are present on Unix and Linux since I only need the browser when I am downloading or watching something online. The rest are being done by SSH direct access including updating/patching files and modules.

IE8 only started good before they added the patches, now it is a joke to use IE8 with its memory leaks introduced by the patches that should fix security errors.

The only thing that I will wish for firefox is if they will allow me to keep the old version and never updated automatically without playing around with its configuration. If that function is already present, I may have missed it since I only use bookmark and "Addon" menu on firefox to start firebug. ;)

Is it just me or links are snipped from replies these days ? I posted link in my earlier reply. Hmm anyway posting again.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ thread is from firefox support about memory leaks of firefox 3.6. I know that linux distros are updating their package with memory leak fixes and i guess that makes it better than windows release of software. Not sure if these leaks are platform specific because windows users irrespective of version, reported more leak issues. I mean XP, 7 and vista users reported the leaks.

I like google instant and I use it with Chrome which it makes it better. Well sometimes it can be confusing because it won't let you click in things you got interested, because search results disappear.

I like google instant and I use it with Chrome which it makes it better. Well sometimes it can be confusing because it won't let you click in things you got interested, because search results disappear.

That happens to me too. I am thinking that it is a bug with Google Instant where the search results disappear. I also use Google Chrome with Google Instant so it could be a browser problem. I'm not sure because I haven't really tested the new Google Instant with any other browsers yet. This bug is pretty annoying. I have to go back to my mouse and click on the search button again to get the results.

I think the feature is annoying also, I don't understand why it is the default. I hate results popping up and lagging the search while I am trying to use Google. Another thing is that most people know what they are going to search when they go on Google, so there is no point of showing premature results. I don't want results for half of a word popping up or half of a phrase. It is just completely and utterly annoying rather than beneficial or innovative. It seems that some people like the feature, but I really don't understand why. I guess they like the idea that ajax is being more widely used on mainstream websites now a days. I think I like the normal google better. However, that is not it, I hate the new google images also. I think it was better the old way, although I am getting use to the new version of it. A lot of the images do not even appear when you scroll don because there are too many images loading at once. Instead of loading one page at a time you have about 10 pages loading as once and more loading as you scroll down. Its not something that I think is good in most cases. I guess there are different strokes for different folks though, because I have heard most people praise the new features on google, both the ajax search and the new image page.

^agreed, I hate google images now. I'm on dialup and it used to load like 600x faster the old way. I think the visual effects are nice, but it should make the images load one at a time rather then all at once.

^agreed, I hate google images now. I'm on dialup and it used to load like 600x faster the old way. I think the visual effects are nice, but it should make the images load one at a time rather then all at once.

I kind of like the new Google Images (if I am not on a dial-up connection). It makes it much easier to search for specific photos that I might need to use. You can specify photo types, colors, resolution, general sizes, etc. For example, if I was looking for a new wallpaper to use for my desktop, I would search a key term and on the filtering panel on the left sidebar, I would specify the filter for the image resolution to 1024 x 768 or whatever resolution my computer is currently set as.

It is annoying, with respect to the new google images. I have that feature since April and I totally hate it.

My vote goes for annoying. The first few times I used it I found it confusing that I was getting results before I even had my query typed all the way in, and it was bring up stuff I wasn't looking for to start with. But on the other hand, if they have their search engine working that fast, I supose it might be a good thing.

Exactly. What annoying is that - it shows content before you stop typing. I mean some keywords are mixed up and they try to analyze by comparing it with previous queries. In many cases those unrelated queries makes it annoying. Because unrelated queries bring unrelated search results. I hope they keep opt-out option for some more time and don't assume that all people have broadband or faster connection to tolerate this. Weird but they implemented turn-off feature which is rare from google because they don't enabled such feature without any public response.

Google Instant search automatically detects that you are on a slow connection and disables the instant search feature. It is still not something I would want a search engine to do, nevertheless, and there's a link to disable the Google Instant search to the right of the search input textbox. If it really really really does bother you, have a go at using DuckDuckGo.com - it's a neat search engine that I turn to whenever Google tosses that captcha stuff at me, refusing to believe that I am a hydrocarbon based life form or the *person* sapien species. "C'mon, Google, trust me! I'm human!" Ah, but those are the times when Google doesn't even trust the response to its Captcha because irrespective of what I type in, it keeps tossing that Captcha screen at me, so at the first glimpse of the Captch screen, I would switch to DuckDuckGo.There were other search engines that came and went, and Cuil.com is one of the more populat ones. I've never really used Yahoo or Bing search in the past decade because they don't have the simplistic look that a search engine should have. Bing seems to have taken a couple of concepts off Google, but has yet to figure out that some folk don't want a large image loading every time they visit the page because it takes a couple of seconds to load and people want to have an instant up-there page that they can access to perform searches, unless they are using the browser search feature from the toolbar.BTW, while on the topic of Google, is anyone out there still using Google Wave? Apparently, it was a pretty big hype and it did start off well but then folks just couldn't get off the other means of communication that they typically use. We've got IRC that most open-source communities still use, there's Facebook, and for pretty much everything else there is GMail with the chat functionality built right in. For conference chats, folks use Skype... though it does need a good connection to work correctly.

google wave was good program and there were plenty of commercial uses for that which i personally like. Even internet marketing industry found it useful. I guess when facebook was in rise google decided to scrub it just like that. I just hope they don't remove some useful apps in future if they find any competition from others. I don't know if google wave is open sourced i guess that is better way for google to do that.

Wow, didn't know that instant search can be switched off. It was really annoying me when I want to refer to the search results and type in new search words.None of my contacts use google wave anymore. When it first came out my friends and I were playing forum games on it and seeing it update in real time. Cheap entertainment which last for a few days.